This just in: Slovakia is super racist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:37:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This just in: Slovakia is super racist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This just in: Slovakia is super racist  (Read 1188 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
« edited: August 26, 2017, 01:37:59 PM by Crumpets »

Four maps of European countries' responses to the questions "Would you feel comfortable if your child pursued a relationship with someone who is Asian/black/Muslim/Jewish?"

And actually, the data isn't "just in," it's a study from 2015, but the pretty maps are.

http://didyouknowfacts.com/colored-maps-show-degrees-racism-europe/?utm_content=inf_10_3493_2&utm_source=TSE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TSECPC&tse_id=INF_3604a0f089ad11e7a7253d7eefa2109b

Here's a link to the original study
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

These maps look similar to the gay marriage/civil union/constitutional ban maps of Europe.

Not surprising that former Communist Eastern European countries are the Alabamas and Mississippis of Europe ...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2017, 02:14:48 PM by Santander »

I don't get how this "proves" racism. If you asked similar questions in Japan or Israel or India, you would get similar responses. I would be shocked if you could get 20% affirmative response towards blacks in Japan.

Racism would be saying that you don't think people in your ethnic group should pursue relationships with people of one or more other racial/ethnic groups. When it comes to individuals making decisions for themselves, it's not racist to have your own criteria on who you would like to spend your life with. While all individuals are ultimately independent, familial relationships are different, especially between parent and child, and it's not unreasonable to apply your own perspectives when evaluating the choices of immediate family members.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »

Also, while there's nothing wrong with Slovakian/Austrian/Swedish people marrying a Black or a Jew, it's certainly a problem these days if a Slovakian/Austrian/Swedish woman marries a Muslim man who's not a very liberal Muslim. That woman would have to virtually give up her personal freedoms for a very backwards, patriarchic ideology - which later on would force her to wear headscarves and become a devout Muslim. There are very few women who'd be able to stand up to a very possessing hard-core Muslim male believer ...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »

I don't get how this "proves" racism. If you asked similar questions in Japan or Israel or India, you would get similar responses. I would be shocked if you could get 20% affirmative response towards blacks in Japan.

Because prejudice based on race/ethnicity is racist?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »

But we're talking about the person you choose to spend your life with, share property with, and perhaps raise children with. We have all sorts of "standards" for choosing a partner that we would not even think about applying to other interpersonal relationships in our lives.

As I said, it would be racist to say if Slovaks said that ethnic Slovaks should generally not pursue relationships with people of the groups in question. That is basically advocating for racial/ethnic separation, or at least broad prejudices against certain racial/ethnic groups. However, the question was if people would be comfortable with their own child pursuing such relationship, which, as I said, is a different thing because it relates to the composition of their family. Similarly, I would not consider it to be homophobic if someone said they would not want their child to pursue a relationship with someone of the same sex. It is an understandable reaction that I don't think we need to label with such terms as racist or homophobic.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »

Not really a surprise.  I've often found people who live in areas with few people who are different tend to be more racists as they are more likely to buy the stereotypes than those that live in more diverse areas thus likely have friends, neighbours, and co-workers of other races.  If you look at how Le Pen did in France, Trump in the USA, UKIP in 2015 in UK, PVV in Netherlands, or even AfD support in Germany you will find with a few exceptions they tended to do best in the overwhelmingly white areas although you did see some support in diverse blue collar areas, but the large metropolitan areas tend to reject those parties much more so than the country as a whole.  Also Slovakia while wealthy by global standards, it is on the poor side for the EU and generally people of more modest incomes are more likely to see others as a threat to their standard of living as opposed to well off areas who feel it's their moral obligation to help those who are less fortunate.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:50:54 PM »

Wow Europeans can be racist as a whole too.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »

Racism would be saying that you don't think people in your ethnic group should pursue relationships with people of one or more other racial/ethnic groups. When it comes to individuals making decisions for themselves, it's not racist to have your own criteria on who you would like to spend your life with. While all individuals are ultimately independent, familial relationships are different, especially between parent and child, and it's not unreasonable to apply your own perspectives when evaluating the choices of immediate family members.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »

Not really a surprise.  I've often found people who live in areas with few people who are different tend to be more racists as they are more likely to buy the stereotypes than those that live in more diverse areas thus likely have friends, neighbours, and co-workers of other races.  If you look at how Le Pen did in France, Trump in the USA, UKIP in 2015 in UK, PVV in Netherlands, or even AfD support in Germany you will find with a few exceptions they tended to do best in the overwhelmingly white areas although you did see some support in diverse blue collar areas, but the large metropolitan areas tend to reject those parties much more so than the country as a whole.  Also Slovakia while wealthy by global standards, it is on the poor side for the EU and generally people of more modest incomes are more likely to see others as a threat to their standard of living as opposed to well off areas who feel it's their moral obligation to help those who are less fortunate.

What is this stupid shi!t?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »

Slovakia has a much larger Roma population than even most other Eastern European EU members (Bulgaria and Romania excepted, which both also come off pretty badly on those maps), and is much less culturally homogenous than, say, Czechia or Poland.

Given how virulent Antiziganism is in much of Europe, I wonder if that somehow contributes to Slovakia looking fairly bad across the board (eg, does it "legitimise" other forms of prejudice?)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »

Wow Europeans can be racist as a whole too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_YEpoG5N8k
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »

But we're talking about the person you choose to spend your life with, share property with, and perhaps raise children with. We have all sorts of "standards" for choosing a partner that we would not even think about applying to other interpersonal relationships in our lives.

As I said, it would be racist to say if Slovaks said that ethnic Slovaks should generally not pursue relationships with people of the groups in question. That is basically advocating for racial/ethnic separation, or at least broad prejudices against certain racial/ethnic groups. However, the question was if people would be comfortable with their own child pursuing such relationship, which, as I said, is a different thing because it relates to the composition of their family. Similarly, I would not consider it to be homophobic if someone said they would not want their child to pursue a relationship with someone of the same sex. It is an understandable reaction that I don't think we need to label with such terms as racist or homophobic.

There's no bigotry in saying 1) I tend to be more physically attracted to people with this particular set of physical features, which are more likely to show up in some races than others, 2) I want to marry someone who I'm physically attracted to, and therefore 3) I'm more likely to end up marrying people of some races than others.

There is bigotry in an outside party (even one's parents) saying "I'm uncomfortable with your choice of partner because he/she doesn't measure up to *my* standards for ideal physical features."  If the couple in question are attracted to each other, in love, both decent people, etc., then for what reason other than bigotry would an outside party object to the physical features of the partner in question?

Now, when you move away from race and step into religion, then sure, one can be legit concerned about one's family member marrying someone with a radically different belief system.  If you're absolutely convinced that your religion is "right", then it isn't bigotry to hope that your family members will stick with that religion, and them marrying someone who you think will convince them to leave their faith could be concerning for non-bigoted reasons.  (Though even if this does concern you, most of the ways that people tend to express such concern ends up being pretty bad and/or self-defeating.)  But I'm skeptical that that alone was the driving force in most of the "yes" answers here.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »

Slovakia has not just one but two neo-Tisoist/neo-Nazi parties in its parliament. This isn't news.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »

Slovakia has not just one but two neo-Tisoist/neo-Nazi parties in its parliament. This isn't news.

UPDATE: A recent poll put the Neo-Nazis on 14% of the vote.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 01:54:33 PM »

Slovakia was on the Axis side in the war.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

This just in: grass is green
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »

Slovakia was on the Axis side in the war.

Our tax agency probably was on the Axis side even after the war
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies