Non-political 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:33:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Non-political 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Non-political 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Megathread  (Read 17970 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »

NWS forecast has the storm coming straight through Tampa. Winds at 100, gusts at 125. There has been a major increase in the risk for the west coast of Florida in the last 24 hours.

People here are not prepared.

Stay safe.

Related: did anyone see that pic comparing Irma to Andrew? In-sane. All you FL posters, seriously, I hope you're taking precautions to be safe and/or evacuating. God speed.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »

This website is really good for seeing what impacts you will receive from the storm. You can check out your location or other locations using the Euro model (or other models) to see the projected wind gusts, rain, etc...

https://weather.us/forecast/4165565-naples/ensemble/euro/wind-gusts
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »

The 12z GFS run has Jose rolling around in the Atlantic before making a direct hit to NYC.  Joe Bastardi is already entertaining a US landfall for Jose but it is too early to tell.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »

It's way too early to be certain of anything other than Jose doing a loop-de-loop. Various models have it going anywhere from Key West to St. John's, Newfoundland after completing the loop.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »

To all the Florida posters:

Be safe.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 01:26:21 AM by Frodo »

Now it looks as if the eye of Hurricane Irma (now back to a category 4) is eyeing Tallahassee:

Florida is going to get hit hard, but this hurricane doesn't seem to be quite as devastating as originally feared with models earlier predicting the eye to go straight up the peninsula.  

We'll see what happens today and tomorrow, though....

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2017, 01:53:51 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 01:56:19 AM by Frodo »

Some more updates:

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2017, 03:56:28 AM »

I was actually telling my family the other day when this started trending westward that this storm might end up being the Gulf Coast's Matthew, considering it could parallel and just barely touch the coast, but cause a lot of storm surge damage since the Gulf Coast of Florida is even more prone to it.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »

This is possibly a more devastating run than the track up the middle of the state. The storm will be less weakened by land interaction before it impacts Tampa Bay, so you have (probably?) a category four storm either making a direct landfall or sitting just offshore. The west coast of Florida is situated on a relatively shallow continental shelf, and a storm coming right up the coast will act to shove water into all the little inlets along the coast. Double digit storm surge in Tampa Bay is not a good scenario.

Yup, just got upgraded back up to a Cat 4 right before slamming into the Keys.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »

hearing explosions outside my house. My neighbors fence exploded earlier and power is flickering like crazy.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »

So, Irma finally barely missed Tampa? They're really lucky.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »

Here in north Georgia, Atlanta is under a Tropical Storm Warning for the first time ever (although I think they've only been doing inland tropical warnings since about 2000).  It's rainy, windy, and surprisingly cold (~55F).  Most schools and many businesses are closed.  There has been some wind damage reported in the city, but overall it hasn't been too bad so far.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2017, 12:37:39 PM by MasterJedi »

Parents have a condo in the Bonita Springs area (between Ft. Myers and Naples) supposedly just a lot of wind and some trees down, no flooding, no issues besides the power being out. They're not down there now so not as bad as it would have been if a Cat 5 had slammed in.

EDIT: They're 3 miles straight inland so not right on the gulf, don't have that kind of money! lol
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »

NWS forecast has the storm coming straight through Tampa. Winds at 100, gusts at 125. There has been a major increase in the risk for the west coast of Florida in the last 24 hours.

Stay safe.

Related: did anyone see that pic comparing Irma to Andrew? In-sane. All you FL posters, seriously, I hope you're taking precautions to be safe and/or evacuating. God speed.

If I were a Florida resident I might want to spend this autumn no further south than Interstate 70.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »

Luckily everything seems to be ok from the hurricane. Blessed to know that the damage in my area wasn't as bad as I thought.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »

Stay safe.

If I were a Florida resident I might want to spend this autumn no further south than Interstate 70.

This is a crazily large storm.  As of the 11am update, tropical storm force winds extended for up to 415 miles from the center.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2017, 11:29:38 PM »

It could have been worse -bear in mind that the damage wrought by Hurricane Andrew in 1992 cost more than $25 billion:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »

Still can't go to work today...
No power..
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »

To illustrate how powerful and widespread the impact of Irma was, here in Atlanta -- which received a MUCH much lighter impact than Florida did -- there are still tens of thousands of people without power, and several of the area school systems are still closed (although the majority have reopened).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »

To illustrate how powerful and widespread the impact of Irma was, here in Atlanta -- which received a MUCH much lighter impact than Florida did -- there are still tens of thousands of people without power, and several of the area school systems are still closed (although the majority have reopened).
Lighter impact, but I doubt Atlanta has put much thought into preventing or recovering from hurricane damage.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »

Lighter impact, but I doubt Atlanta has put much thought into preventing or recovering from hurricane damage.

It's a problem of trees--there are far more densely wooded areas where people live (and more rural areas) than Florida, which is more open areas, so when we get a lot of wind the downed lines tend to be harder to get to.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »

The 12z GFS run has Jose rolling around in the Atlantic before making a direct hit to NYC.  Joe Bastardi is already entertaining a US landfall for Jose but it is too early to tell.

Now a direct NYC hit is very unlikely.

I've been monitoring the Euro forecast for Jose for several days now, and it never expected Jose to turn the same way Sandy did (remember, the Euro forecast said that Sandy would turn inland a week in advance while other models were saying otherwise).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2017, 04:00:16 AM »

Now a direct NYC hit is very unlikely.

I've been monitoring the Euro forecast for Jose for several days now, and it never expected Jose to turn the same way Sandy did (remember, the Euro forecast said that Sandy would turn inland a week in advance while other models were saying otherwise).

Sandy track is unlikely, but there's a worrying trend where the track itself is shifting west as Irma's did, and given where it's at an East Coast track (similar to Gloria in 1985) can't really be ruled out.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »

Looks like Maria (currently TD 15) is going to make life even more miserable for the folks trying to recover from Irma in the Leeward Islands.  At least it's only supposed to be a Cat 1 by the time it gets there.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

'For first time in 300 years, there’s not a single living person on the island of Barbuda'
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies