Question for American posters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Question for American posters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Question for American posters  (Read 1303 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »

When do you think will the US replace these school buses ...

with these models ?

Or another question: Did anyone of you drive to school with these European models ? Do they actually even exist in some places in the US or only the yellow models ?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »

Why don't we just replace the flag too at this point since nothing is apparently sacred.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »

Never?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »

Get out of here with that sht, commie.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2017, 02:32:56 PM by Crumpets »

They're different kinds of busses? Why would you use a public transit bus or a massive bendy bus to take kids to school? Do you use double-decker school busses as well?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »

Because the yellow models are designed to transport children safely in a way that conforms to how children are transported to and from school, which is not how public transit works.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure school buses in the US legally have to be yellow
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »

They're different kinds of busses? Why would you use a public transit bus or a massive bendy bus to take kids to school? Do you use double-decker school busses as well?

Fwiw if you see any normal double-decker bus in London with a number beginning with "6", that is one of London's school route buses, normally the preserve of a single establishment with an unusually large catchment area (e.g. Grammar schools, private schools). There are no yellow school buses in the uk, although have been experiments.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 09:54:43 PM »

Fwiw if you see any normal double-decker bus in London with a number beginning with "6", that is one of London's school route buses, normally the preserve of a single establishment with an unusually large catchment area (e.g. Grammar schools, private schools). There are no yellow school buses in the uk, although have been experiments.
In much of America, children are picked up and dropped off individually at the end of their driveways and must ride the bus for a long period of time (I had over an hour each way growing up).  Expecting children to stand or to be taking one of those ill-built Mercedes public transit buses down a rural road during heavy snowfall is just the very definition of "I KNOW YOU THINK AUSTRIA IS SUPERIOR TO THE USA IN EVERY WAY TENDER BUT SOMETIMES DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS mkay?"
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »

Interesting. In the US, double-decker buses are pretty much exclusively used by the tourist trade. I don't think I've ever been to a city in the US were they're used even for public transportation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »

Interesting. In the US, double-decker buses are pretty much exclusively used by the tourist trade. I don't think I've ever been to a city in the US were they're used even for public transportation.
Megabus?  A UK company of course.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »

Next thing you know, Tender will suggest we take down statues of George Washington and replace them with statues of Krampus.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »

In much of America, children are picked up and dropped off individually at the end of their driveways and must ride the bus for a long period of time (I had over an hour each way growing up).  Expecting children to stand or to be taking one of those ill-built Mercedes public transit buses down a rural road during heavy snowfall is just the very definition of "I KNOW YOU THINK AUSTRIA IS SUPERIOR TO THE USA IN EVERY WAY TENDER BUT SOMETIMES DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS mkay?"

You are interpreting this the wrong way. That's not what I meant. It was just a normal question.

Besides, the "ill-built" public transport buses are not that "ill-built" after all: They are driving here through winter, also in the mountainous rural areas when it snows like sh*t.

I was just wondering if European-style public transport buses were taking American kids to school or not ... Here it's uncommon that kids would use a special bus for school.

What about American kids in urban areas ? Do they also use the yellow bus or are some also taking the public transport system like the subway to school ? In Vienna for example, it's fairly common that 6-10 year olds are taking the subway to school ...

What about posters from urban areas ?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »

I think the school bus route was an hour for me as well. Not that I ever took it - it made no sense, seeing as the bus route went all round the borough and public buses provided a more direct route. (And I biked most days anyway).

In rural areas, there would probably be some benefit in an American style school bus system, given austerity has devestated rural public transit.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

Next thing you know, Tender will suggest we take down statues of George Washington and replace them with statues of Krampus.

Europeans have always admired America. This is because of our shared history. Europe was founded in 1848 by Walker Texas Ranger when he rode a horse across the Atlantic, he called it "Eastern USA" which was eventually abbreviated as just "EU".

That reminds me.

Chuck didn't see the eclipse because the sun didn't have the glasses needed to avoid being blinded by Norris.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »

Because they already do?

Let me clarify: In Baltimore City, school buses aren't used. Instead schoolchildren get bus passes to use the standard bus system of the city. (I believe it's middle schoolers and up; younger students walk to their elementary schools, which are mandated to be in walking distance.) I don't know if other cities also have this arrangement, but I wouldn't be surprised. The yellow school bus does seem to be somewhat of a unique suburban feature.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »

Because they already do?

Let me clarify: In Baltimore City, school buses aren't used. Instead schoolchildren get bus passes to use the standard bus system of the city. (I believe it's middle schoolers and up; younger students walk to their elementary schools, which are mandated to be in walking distance.) I don't know if other cities also have this arrangement, but I wouldn't be surprised. The yellow school bus does seem to be somewhat of a unique suburban feature.

That's the same in many of the Pittsburgh inner city schools.  Everything outside of that is yellow. 
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »

Or Zwarte Piet:
Rjjr77
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »

not as long as I have a vote on it!
U-S-A!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

Because they already do?

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »

A couple days late on this, but in NYC public schools (afaik) yellow buses are used for elementary schoolers and then after then we're given a student card so we can take the bus or subway to school
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »

No. We should invest $3 trillion in converting all foreign schoolbuses with good, American-speaking buses - yellow! Not black! Not white! Not Mexi- er, Spanish-speaking! And we will do it with yellow money borrowed from Beijing.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:48 PM »

I thought the yellow bus was standard worldwide.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »

Americans are used to stopping for YELLOW School Buses when they pick up and drop off kids.  Changing this radically will bring about a temporary decrease in child safety when students are picked up and dropped off.  Habits are hard to break, and the habit of stopping for a stopped School Bus is reinforced by hefty tickets.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »

I actually saw high school age kids in high school hoodies getting on the Metra in the Chicago area going from one suburb to another. Apparently kids in suburban Chicago take the Metra to school, interesting.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies