Why is Austin so liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:51:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Austin so liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is Austin so liberal?  (Read 2182 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2017, 03:56:16 AM »

Especially compared to Houston or Dallas or San Antonio? What happened?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »

Gonna guess probably yuppies and hipsters. Idk the area too well thoigh
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:52:35 AM »

Mix of one of the largest flagship universities in the United States, state government of second largest state in the country, a big time music scene, and a lots of tech industries.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »

Because educated!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »

Obvious sarcasm, but it actually plays more than just a little role.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »

Mix of one of the largest flagship universities in the United States, state government of second largest state in the country, a big time music scene, and a lots of tech industries.

Nashville also combines a lot of those things and isn't nearly as liberal as Austin (less Democratic despite also being much less white), so I don't think that fully explains Austin's liberalism (actually, wouldn't the state capital of a conservative state even move it to the right).
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »

Nashville also combines a lot of those things and isn't nearly as liberal as Austin (less Democratic despite also being much less white), so I don't think that fully explains Austin's liberalism (actually, wouldn't the state capital of a conservative state even move it to the right).

Nashville itself is pretty liberal, but it's a lot smaller than Austin. 
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

An easy way to look at cultural liberalism is through how Democratic the white vote is:

Nashville: 47-46 Trump
Austin: 58-34 Clinton

By this metric, Austin's Travis County is the third most liberal county in the South (behind NC's Orange and Durham Counties, plus the City of Richmond).  Nashville does not crack the Top Ten.

Nashville has some liberal pockets, but still a bunch of very conservative ones.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »

Right, but it's not the education that is the deciding factor, IMO.  Austin is a large urban center with a huge public university.  Those factors alone lead to public infrastructure and livlihood concerns that lend to Democratic voting.  Add in a natural inclination toward social liberalism, and you get a few more points.  Additionally, Travis County is only 50% White ... don't you think that plays a massive role in its margins?

I mean, you have Denton County (suburban Dallas), which has very similar educational statistics, yet it voted for Trump by 20%...:

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad
44.9% Bachelor's or higher
50.5% College degree of some sort

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad
40.4% Bachelor's or higher
48.4% College degree of some sort

I just think red avatars on this site (possibly out of a sense of elitism, possibly out of just hearing the narrative too much, I don't know) are acting like it's this inherent exposure to education that leads one toward liberalism, and that's ridiculous.
dpmapper
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »

Vanderbilt is tiny compared to UT-Austin.  And country music is a wee bit more conservative than Austin's indie music scene. 
BoAtlantis

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »

Right, but it's not the education that is the deciding factor, IMO.  Austin is a large urban center with a huge public university.  Those factors alone lead to public infrastructure and livlihood concerns that lend to Democratic voting.  Add in a natural inclination toward social liberalism, and you get a few more points.  Additionally, Travis County is only 50% White ... don't you think that plays a massive role in its margins?

I mean, you have Denton County (suburban Dallas), which has very similar educational statistics, yet it voted for Trump by 20%...:

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad

I just think red avatars on this site (possibly out of a sense of elitism, possibly out of just hearing the narrative too much, I don't know) are acting like it's this inherent exposure to education that leads one toward liberalism, and that's ridiculous.

I doubt education turns one liberal, but it is most likely that liberals seek college as an opportunity to gain the experience of seeing diverse culture. Conservatives are more likely to stick to status quo and be content living in the same place. In my experience, liberals are far more likely to be scattered across all majors. They don't necessarily look at philosophy or sociology majors as useless nor even use college as a step to get employed in the same field they majored in.

With student loan far exceeding financial capacity in the recent years, conservatives, being the more financially conscious ones, are probably more likely to take alternative ways to make career without getting drowned by heavy debt.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2017, 11:58:52 AM by TDAS04 »

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad

Obviously there are many factors, and education is far from the only factor and it may not even be the biggest factor.  It's a sizable factor, especially on certain social issues such as LGBT rights, which Travis County sharply contrasted itself from the rest of Texas in 2005 on a gay marriage ban amendement (passed statewide with 76%, carrying every county but Travis, which rejected the ban with 60%).  There a a lot of highly educated homophobes, but people are more likely to support such civil rights issues if they have experience in intellectual, urban, and diverse settings than if they stay in small towns (I know that sounds elitist but oh well). Then again, you're not against LGBT rights and may not even consider it a left vs. right issue, but there's a reason the LGBT community tends to favor Democrats.

Maybe education is not that indicative of economic populism, but Austin is not the the most populist place; it seems to have a libertarian-ish streak.

The recent trend of Democrats winning among the well-educated began before Trump, but it has accelerated with the rise of the not-so-intellectual blowhard.  Not every Repubilican is Donald Trump, but Trump is the current leader of their party, and the spirit of Trump won't leave the GOP that easily in the near future.

As for Travis County being only 50% white, I agree that belonging to a minority group is much more indicative of Democratic support than education.  However, Austin has quite a disproportionate share of Texas's white liberals.  Its share of blacks is smaller than the national average and most of its minorities are Hispanic, and there are quite a few Asians in Austin too.  Many Hispanics and Asians are not US citizens and are ineligible to vote, so I'm not sure if minorities make up that large a share of the county's electorate.
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

Vanderbilt is tiny compared to UT-Austin.  And country music is a wee bit more conservative than Austin's indie music scene. 

I was more thinking of the combination of several universities (not just Vanderbilt, and more of the academics it brings in than the students themselves- some of whom don't even vote in the state at schools like Vanderbilt and Belmont).  Nashville also has Belmont, Lipscomb (which is probably pretty conservative, even at the faculty level, but still), Tennessee St., Fisk, and Trevecca.  The differences in the politics of music is probably relevant here.  But, my hypothesis is that Austin is so liberal because it is so liberal.  Since it has a reputation as such a liberal hipster enclave, it attracts people wanting that lifestyle in a way that nowhere else in the South does.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad

Obviously there are many factors, and education is far from the only factor and it may not even be the biggest factor.  It's a sizable factor, especially on certain social issues such as LGBT rights, which Travis County sharply contrasted itself from the rest of Texas in 2005 on a gay marriage ban amendement (passed statewide with 76%, carrying every county but Travis, which rejected the ban with 60%).  There a a lot of highly educated homophobes, but people are more likely to support such civil rights issues if they have experience in intellectual, urban, and diverse settings than if they stay in small towns (I know that sounds elitist but oh well). Then again, you're not against LGBT rights and may not even consider it a left vs. right issue, but there's a reason the LGBT community tends to favor Democrats.

Maybe education is not that indicative of economic populism, but Austin is not the the most populist place; it seems to have a libertarian-ish streak.

The recent trend of Democrats winning among the well-educated began before Trump, but it has accelerated with the rise of the not-so-intellectual blowhard.  Not every Repubilican is Donald Trump, but Trump is the current leader of their party, and the spirit of Trump won't leave the GOP that easily in the near future.

As for Travis County being only 50% white, I agree that belonging to a minority is much more indicative of Democratic support than education.  However, Austin has quite a disproportionate share of Texas's white liberals.  Its share of blacks is smaller than the national average and most of its minorities are Hispanic, and there are quite a few Asians in Austin too.  Many Hispanics and Asians are not US citizens and are ineligible to vote, so I'm not sure if minorities make up that large if a share if the county's electorate.

Shhh. Don't say this too loudly or you'll get the people who will continue to insist "DONALD TRUMP IS NOT A REAL REPUBLICAN AND DOES NOT STAND FOR OUR VALUES" types. Either way, the Republican Party embraced anti-intellectualism with his nomination, whether they like it or not, and that will remain an indictment against them by educated people for a time to come.

Obviously Trump is as much of a Republican as anyone else, and he won the primaries (I have written at length about why I think there's a perfectly obvious reason why this doesn't necessarily translate to a plurality of Republicans agreeing with his individual policy stances or the clear indication of a successor, but I digress), so he's the leader of the party right now.  Period.  At the same time, many prominent Republicans regularly criticize him in public and have openly agreed with some of his political positions, so I'd say it's fair to say that the GOP isn't exactly united behind Trump.  Additionally, while 2018 might look totally different, House Republicans did several points better among college graduates than Trump did, and they won White college graduates by 10 points.  So, in the short term, it does look like a statistically significant percent of "educated" voters are willing to separate their Congressional Republicans from President Trump.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad

As for Travis County being only 50% white, I agree that belonging to a minority is much more indicative of Democratic support than education.  However, Austin has quite a disproportionate share of Texas's white liberals.  Its share of blacks is smaller than the national average and most of its minorities are Hispanic, and there are quite a few Asians in Austin too.  Many Hispanics and Asians are not US citizens and are ineligible to vote, so I'm not sure if minorities make up that large if a share if the county's electorate.

Shhh. Don't say this too loudly or you'll get the people who will continue to insist "DONALD TRUMP IS NOT A REAL REPUBLICAN AND DOES NOT STAND FOR OUR VALUES" types. Either way, the Republican Party embraced anti-intellectualism with his nomination, whether they like it or not, and that will remain an indictment against them by educated people for a time to come.

Obviously Trump is as much of a Republican as anyone else, and he won the primaries (I have written at length about why I think there's a perfectly obvious reason why this doesn't necessarily translate to a plurality of Republicans agreeing with his individual policy stances or the clear indication of a successor, but I digress), so he's the leader of the party right now.  Period.  At the same time, many prominent Republicans regularly criticize him in public and have openly agreed with some of his political positions, so I'd say it's fair to say that the GOP isn't exactly united behind Trump.  Additionally, while 2018 might look totally different, House Republicans did several points better among college graduates than Trump did, and they won White college graduates by 10 points.  So, in the short term, it does look like a statistically significant percent of "educated" voters are willing to separate their Congressional Republicans from President Trump.

They're only willing to separate GOP from Trump as long as it's still viable that Trump doesn't lead the GOP.   I don't see any possible scenario where the GOP's voter base "doesn't" go full on nationalist/populist in the future (IE Trumpism).
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:51 PM »

I love how people are acting like Trump is somehow the first time the GOP has fully embraced anti-intellectualism.
I mean the GOP was attacking Aldai Stevenson as a egghead over 60 years ago and nearly every GOP presidential candidate over the past 50 years has portrayed themselves as someone who stick it to the liberal eggheads in Washington.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »

Right, but it's not the education that is the deciding factor, IMO.  Austin is a large urban center with a huge public university.  Those factors alone lead to public infrastructure and livlihood concerns that lend to Democratic voting.  Add in a natural inclination toward social liberalism, and you get a few more points.  Additionally, Travis County is only 50% White ... don't you think that plays a massive role in its margins?

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad

Obviously there are many factors, and education is far from the only factor and it may not even be the biggest factor.  It's a sizable factor, especially on certain social issues such as LGBT rights, which Travis County sharply contrasted itself from the rest of Texas in 2005 on a gay marriage ban amendement (passed statewide with 76%, carrying every county but Travis, which rejected the ban with 60%).  There a a lot of highly educated homophobes, but people are more likely to support such civil rights issues if they have experience in intellectual, urban, and diverse settings than if they stay in small towns (I know that sounds elitist but oh well). Then again, you're not against LGBT rights and may not even consider it a left vs. right issue, but there's a reason the LGBT community tends to favor Democrats.

The recent trend of Democrats winning among the well-educated began before Trump, but it has accelerated with the rise of the not-so-intellectual blowhard.  Not every Repubilican is Donald Trump, but Trump is the current leader of their party, and the spirit of Trump won't leave the GOP that easily in the near future.

As for Travis County being only 50% white, I agree that belonging to a minority is much more indicative of Democratic support than education.  However, Austin has quite a disproportionate share of Texas's white liberals.  Its share of blacks is smaller than the national average and most of its minorities are Hispanic, and there are quite a few Asians in Austin too.  Many Hispanics and Asians are not US citizens and are ineligible to vote, so I'm not sure if minorities make up that large if a share if the county's electorate.

They're only willing to separate GOP from Trump as long as it's still viable that Trump doesn't lead the GOP.   I don't see any possible scenario where the GOP's voter base "doesn't" go full on nationalist/populist in the future (IE Trumpism).
I can think of a few scenarios.

Probably the most likely one (once trumps gone) is that as the democrats become more populist and less technocratic in their character and policies, the partisan instinct to oppose whatever the Democrats are doing will kick in and Republicans will position themselves as opponents of the economic populism of the democrats. 
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

An easy way to look at cultural liberalism is through how Democratic the white vote is:

Nashville: 47-46 Trump

By this metric, Austin's Travis County is the third most liberal county in the South (behind NC's Orange and Durham Counties, plus the City of Richmond).  Nashville does not crack the Top Ten.

Nashville has some liberal pockets, but still a bunch of very conservative ones.

That's because "Nashville" proper includes about 95% of Davidson county.   If you look at the inner city parts or the areas that actually make up the "city" of Nashville, it actually votes pretty similar to Austin.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »

TRAVIS COUNTY
16.3% Postgrad

DENTON COUNTY
12.4% Postgrad

They did it while he was, you know, the party's nominee for President, so I'm not sure what you're on.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

Should have noted "public" flagship university, also given current growth and political trends, it wouldn't surprise me if Nashville looks a lot like Austin in 20ish years.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:05 PM »

I agree with other posters that education, race, the way that the city lines are drawn, the fact that Austin is a relatively populous city, and the huge flagship campus in Austin all play a role.

I would also guess that, compared to other Southern cities, Austin has a significantly higher share of population that was born outside of the South. I don't have data to directly back up that guess, but anecdotally I know a decent number of people who have migrated to Austin from the Northeast, and I know that a lot of people have migrated from California to Texas.

We know that there's a major partisan/ideological major difference between Southern whites and non-Southern whites and I would guess that that remains a factor even for non-Southern whites who move to the South.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:31 PM »

Lack of a commercial development because it is too close to San Antonio and Waco, and delayed development since it only emerged as a major city post WWII.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »

Houston and San Antonio have annexed quite a bit of territory, which includes conservative suburbs.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »

Houston and San Antonio have annexed quite a bit of territory, which includes conservative suburbs.

Austin has annexed quite a bit of territory, too. I don't think annexations have anything to do with it.
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 11:54:52 PM »

Austin has annexed quite a bit of territory, too. I don't think annexations have anything to do with it.

Looking at whole counties (so annexations should have nothing to do with it):

City white vote (a good stand-in for cultural liberalism- see Los Angeles (C+11) or San Diego (T+2) vs. San Francisco (C+71)):
Houston: 71-23 Trump (!)
San Antonio: 70-23 Trump
Fort Worth: 69-25 Trump
Dallas: 59-34 Trump

Austin is pretty clearly distinct from anywhere else in Texas.  For a real shocker, Los Angeles whites voted 13 points to the right of Austin whites.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies