Opinion of Complementarianism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:35:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Complementarianism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of Complementarianism  (Read 1170 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:16:26 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementarianism

My opinion is quite negative. 
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »

Positive.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:43 PM »

Negative. I prefer the egalitarianism position instead in regards to gender roles. Women and Men should hold the same equality of opportunity in regards of social and business affairs. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »

Positive
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:23:18 PM »

It's mostly a modern American evangelical invention.  Even your most traditional Catholics and Orthodox probably wouldn't subscribe to it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »

Small L
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:21:12 PM »

It's mostly a modern American evangelical invention.  Even your most traditional Catholics and Orthodox probably wouldn't subscribe to it.
Catholic and Orthodox views on gender roles definitely fall under the umbrella of complementarianism. It may not be exactly the same as protestant conceptions, but the all male priesthood is pretty much always defended with complimentarian arguments.

I do get what you're saying though. If you think of it as a spectrum, Catholic teaching is in certain ways closer to egalitarianism than American evangelical flavors of complementarianism.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »

Catholic and Orthodox views on gender roles definitely fall under the umbrella of complementarianism. It may not be exactly the same as protestant conceptions, but the all male priesthood is pretty much always defended with complimentarian arguments.

I do get what you're saying though. If you think of it as a spectrum, Catholic teaching is in certain ways closer to egalitarianism than American evangelical flavors of complementarianism.
I think the gender requirement for ordination of clergy is the only issue where the Cathodox would agree with American evangelicals.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »

Not only negative, it's a litmus test for me. I'd never be a part of any church that subscribes to it on any level.

I think the gender requirement for ordination of clergy is the only issue where the Cathodox would agree with American evangelicals.

...so aka the most important part.

Also it's pretty misleading to say just "American evangelicals" here seeing as how many are NOT complementarians. Even some pretty conservative evangelical denominations have female pastors, especially amongst Pentecostals.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »

Not only negative, it's a litmus test for me. I'd never be a part of any church that subscribes to it on any level.

Also it's pretty misleading to say just "American evangelicals" here seeing as how many are NOT complementarians. Even some pretty conservative evangelical denominations have female pastors, especially amongst Pentecostals.

You illustrate how overly broad the media definition of "Evangelical" is. You, JCL, and I are all technically Evangelicals, but we believe some pretty divergent stuff. At minimum Pentecostal ought to be considered its own branch of Protestantism, like Mainline or Evangelical.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:29:12 AM »

You illustrate how overly broad the media definition of "Evangelical" is. You, JCL, and I are all technically Evangelicals, but we believe some pretty divergent stuff. At minimum Pentecostal ought to be considered its own branch of Protestantism, like Mainline or Evangelical.

Do you also consider yourself Mainline?  IIRC, you're a (staunchly conservative) Presbyterian, which would make you a conservative Mainline Protestant, wouldn't it?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »

Patriarchal religious bullsh**t.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

Not Christ-like.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »

Completely negative.  Complementarianism is sexism with a smiley face.  It claims to be egalitarian, but is merely patriarchy by another name.

While we're on the subject, allow me to say that I consider myself a feminist, and precisely because I am a Christian.  The Bible says that men and women are equal and both created in the spiritual image of God.  Most of the "biblical" views of womanhood are not actually found in the Bible.  (The Bible never says, for instance, that women should not work outside the home or should be the primary caregivers for children.)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »

One of the areas I break from the Southern Baptist Convention is on female priesthood.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »

One of the areas I break from the Southern Baptist Convention is on female priesthood.
The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is --->>>>>that way.

Trust me, the SBC isn't budging on this issue anytime soon.  If anything, it's moving farther to the right, especially as the Calvinists further their takeover.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »

Gee, it's almost like that trying to classify every Protestant in one of two categories is ineffective and not a good idea or something!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 07:41:52 AM »

While I do agree women and men are different and tend to do better and worse at different things, these are just trends.  You can't force individuals into roles they are not good at just because they happen to be born with genitals that tend belong to humans that are better at that those roles. 

Also, nature created these trends, not God.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »

Basically this. Complementarianism tries to sound nice Smiley Smiley but in the end, it's just a way to control and limit the opportunities of women and, to a lesser extent, men. In Judaism, you can see it a lot in the attmpt to frame the terrible modesty requitrments as meant to protect women- "you're a king's daughter, you should be modest". Another example is the frequent saying that Judaism is very respectful of women- because it basically guards them while in secularism they're objectified. This is not respect nor is it "protection", it's pure oppression.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »

To try to apply universal gender roles to a society of multi-gendered people is quite foolish.

All should follow their bliss and no restrictions should be placed on anyone due to gender.

There are some jobs etc. that have physical requirements, both to the larger and the smaller, that would have to be considered but I can think of no other restriction that should be put.

I admit to a bias on this issue as I have seen more men good at mothering than I have seen women being good at mothering. I am definitely not one of the good male motherers.

I hope those I know are exception and that more mothers out there can do better than men at mothering, given that 50% of all homes today are manned by single women.

Regards
DL

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »

It's pretty much "man and woman are equal, but man is the head and the final decision rests with him."  In other words, it claims to be about equality, when it clearly is not.

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »

It's pretty much "man and woman are equal, but man is the head and the final decision rests with him."  In other words, it claims to be about equality, when it clearly is not.

U C 20/20.

Regards
DL
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »

Negative (normal feminist/SJW)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »

My opinion of the people who said "positive" has plummeted quite dramatically.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »

My opinion of the people who said "positive" has plummeted quite dramatically.

I'm very disappointed in MormDem and kind of DC Al Fine. The rest I didn't have high expectations for.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies