FT 4-02: Measure of Parliamentary Seniority Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:16:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 4-02: Measure of Parliamentary Seniority Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 4-02: Measure of Parliamentary Seniority Act  (Read 599 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Chair calls the Prime Minister.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:41:49 PM »

FYI, this would be the list by seniority if this was passed:
Kamala
Cora
Ted Bessell
Pericles
Canis
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2017, 08:43:48 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

I thank the Speaker.

This is not, I should hope, a particularly provocative article of legislation. Its sole purpose is to establish a clear and objective standard for determining the seniority of Members of the House of Commons. This is not an exciting proposal, perhaps, but it is a necessary one: our Constitution states that when both the Premiership and the Speakership of the House of Commons are vacant, the most senior sitting MP becomes "Interim Prime Minister." At present, however, there is no established method to determine seniority, creating the potential for an unnecessary constitutional crisis.

The system for determining seniority, as defined by this act, is as follows:

(1) The most senior MP is he/she who has the longest record of continuous service in office, from date of election
(2) If two or more MPs have an equally long and continuous tenure, then he/she who has previously held the highest public office (beginning with Prime Minister and continuing on down to ministerial officers) is the most senior
(3) If two or more MPs are equal in all of the above respects, he/she who swore the oath of office first is the most senior.

I would happily welcome questions or comments from any who have them to offer.

FYI, this would be the list by seniority if this was passed:
Kamala
Cora
Ted Bessell
Pericles
Canis
Not quite. As Ted is a former Senator for the region, he would be the most senior MP per Sectin 2(ii); as the rest of y'all have never held public office before, it then goes in order of oath-swearing. So, the list would look like this:

1. Ted Bessell
2. Kamala (Speaker)
3. Cora
4. Pericles
5. Canis
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »

This seems fair.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »

I support this seems fair
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:02:52 PM »

Not quite. As Ted is a former Senator for the region, he would be the most senior MP per Sectin 2(ii); as the rest of y'all have never held public office before, it then goes in order of oath-swearing. So, the list would look like this:

1. Ted Bessell
2. Kamala (Speaker)
3. Cora
4. Pericles
5. Canis
I made that mistake because SOMEONE didn't keep his wiki page up-to-date >_>
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »

I am planning to vote against this legislation.

I would rather see it that our constitution is changed so that, in case of a vacancy of the Prime Minister's office, the members of this House cooperate as a multi-headed executive, with a special election to elect a Prime Minister be scheduled on the earliest available date.

I would not like to see the entrenchment and rewarding of long-serving politicians with more power.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »

I would rather see it that our constitution is changed so that, in case of a vacancy of the Prime Minister's office... a special election to elect a Prime Minister be scheduled on the earliest available date.
This is already the case. Article II, Section 5 specifically mandates a vacancy in the premiership be filled by special election; the senior member only acts as prime minister in the interim (hence interim prime minister). At most, the transfer of power from temporary executor to elected premier should take two days to a week.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »

Seeing no further debate, I motion for a final vote on this bill.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »

Seeing no objections, I call the floor to a vote on FT 4-02.

I vote NAY.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

Nay.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 09:51:44 PM »

Nay
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 03:06:17 PM »

AYE.

Didn't you support this last week? What changed your mind?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »

AYE
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »

NAY
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »

Kamala brought up a good argument about not rewarding entrenched politicians
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2017, 06:08:15 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

How do you propose we determine seniority, then? In all honesty, I don't see that "entrenchment" is a particularly relevant concept in Atlasia — our current president wasn't even a citizen one year ago — but regardless, I wish you had said something before this came to a vote, as I would have been willing to propose an amendment had I known a majority of the Commons was of that opinion.

EDIT: I would also point out that the only practical application of the seniority system is to prevent a succession crisis like the one that destroyed the last government back in January, and that literally the only practical application of said system would be to designate someone as acting head of government long enough to open the voting booth, but whatever.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »

How do you propose we determine seniority, then? In all honesty, I don't see that "entrenchment" is a particularly relevant concept in Atlasia — our current president wasn't even a citizen one year ago — but regardless, I wish you had said something before this came to a vote, as I would have been willing to propose an amendment had I known a majority of the Commons was of that opinion.

EDIT: I would also point out that the only practical application of the seniority system is to prevent a succession crisis like the one that destroyed the last government back in January, and that literally the only practical application of said system would be to designate someone as acting head of government long enough to open the voting booth, but whatever.
I'm unsure on how exactly seniority should be determined but responding to your edit I would prefer if the speaker takes over during a succession crisis
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 06:15:06 PM »

I'm unsure on how exactly seniority should be determined but responding to your edit I would prefer if the speaker takes over during a succession crisis
So would I; as a matter of fact, that is what happens if the premiership falls vacant. This bill was to decide what happens if there is no speaker when the vacancy occurs.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »

The votes were 2 AYEs and 4 NAYs. Thus, this item does fail.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies