Democrats: Draft Joe Hoeffel or not?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:55:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats: Draft Joe Hoeffel or not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should we encourage Joe Hoeffel to run in a primary against Bob Casey?
Yes

No

Other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Democrats: Draft Joe Hoeffel or not?  (Read 3797 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:13:30 PM »

As you all may know I am a huge Joe Hoeffel supporter and glad he was my Congressman.  I think there should be a Hoeffel/Casey primary.  The reason I say so is there will be a boost of name recognition for both candidates and greater media attention.  Look Casey is a weak debater and fundraiser.  He is a name- THAT'S IT!  I could see him fizzling out or getting weak support from the Philly suburbs.  Joe Hoeffel will have none of these handicaps.  I am inclined to say let the Democrats in the state of Pennsylvania have the choice between two excellent candidates (albeit one a namesake) and this will allow the voters which direction we want to take the party.  I think both Joe Hoeffel or Bob Casey would benefit greatly from such a contest.  I would like to know what other Democrats think after reading what I just posted.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »

I would also encourage Chuck Pennacchio to drop out of this race and take on a more local role in helping the much badly damaged Bucks County Democrats.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 06:15:06 PM »

We have a candidate, leave him alone.  He's doing fine so far.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 06:16:31 PM »

Did u read my post?  Casey can fade and we need money to take on the Rove machine who I think can maim Casey quite badly.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 06:25:34 PM »

Did u read my post?  Casey can fade and we need money to take on the Rove machine who I think can maim Casey quite badly.

Yes, but Joe Hoeffel is far too liberal and switching horses in the middle of the race seems wishy-washy.  We'd go from winning so far to dangerously behind, even before the Rove machine.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 06:27:19 PM »

I support Casey. He's leading in the polls, and he seems to have some spine.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Today must be spine day for the Democratic party. The mayor of Salt Lake City, Utah called for an anti-Bush protest.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 06:30:53 PM »

Yes, but Joe Hoeffel is far too liberal and switching horses in the middle of the race seems wishy-washy.  We'd go from winning so far to dangerously behind, even before the Rove machine.

Joe Hoeffel is a few ticks to the right of me on social issues.  I'd say about a -3E/-5S, so he really isn't all that bad.  Primary entrants is not wishy-washy.  To counter the Rove machine we need money and a good debater.  Casey is struggling there and it's scaring me.  The race has not begun and the Rove machine is no joke- see Max Cleland.  Also see Debbie Stabenow who overcame Spencer Abraham from 17 points behind with 6 weeks left.  Also note that Michigan and Pennsylvania are very similar poltically in fact the Philly suburbs which is both vote and money rich is much more socially liberal that Detroit's suburbs.  I think the choice issue may bite us in the ass.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 06:36:49 PM »

Hey, Flyers, why don't you start a petition like I did?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 06:37:58 PM »

Hey, Flyers, why don't you start a petition like I did?

Good idea
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »

Here's the website I use:
http://www.petitionspot.com/

Just don't use petition online. Every time I try to start a petition there, they reject it.
PADem

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 06:49:46 PM »

Flyers.... What are you thinking?

Right now our focus should be booting Santorum out of office. I don't care who our candidate is as long as he's not a whack...

Casey is our best chance at picking this seat up so why run someone who won't have half as much of a chance at winning.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 06:57:33 PM »

Right now our focus should be booting Santorum out of office. I don't care who our candidate is as long as he's not a whack...

Casey is our best chance at picking this seat up so why run someone who won't have half as much of a chance at winning.

Sorry Mr. Blue Dog, I do care about who it is!
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 07:11:15 PM »

Unfortunately they took my favorite Lee Corso quip out of NCAA football 2006. But after election day 2006, it will apply to Casey's campaign:

"It looked good early, but got real bad late."
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 07:13:43 PM »

Unfortunately they took my favorite Lee Corso quip out of NCAA football 2006. But after election day 2006, it will apply to Casey's campaign:

"It looked good early, but got real bad late."
Kind of like your life. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »

Casey has the spine to attack Santorum on the Iraq war.
PADem

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 08:03:52 PM »

So you'd rather have us run Hoeffel and lose, thus keeping Santorum in office for six more years, than have Casey (who is obviously somewhat more conservative than you, but considerably less than Santorum), run and win by a small to moderate margin?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 08:25:17 PM »

Casey has the spine to attack Santorum on the Iraq war.
Why thank-you! Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »

i think he should run against Rendell in the primary. if he focuses his campaign about the pay raise, he could pull it off.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »

By all means. I was looking forward to a race, but I'll be fine sitting at home doing nothing assured of a Santorum victory.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 10:47:32 PM »

Do you want to win at all?  Then run Bob Casey unopposed.  That's all I can say.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 04:23:43 AM »

So you’d opt for a failed candidate who’s already proven himself to a weak state-wide candidate against a battered incumbent in a presidential year when the Democrats won the state over a candidate with the highest approval ratings in the state who leads an incumbent senator by over 10 points and appeals not only to the Democratic base but also to ordinary Pennsylvanians who may have previously voted for Santorum.

The Philly suburbs will turnout and vote for Casey for the simple reason he’s not Santorum and can win if nothing else at the same time the Philly area is one area where Rendell at the top of the ballot will draw the Democrats out if Casey doesn’t. While this happens Casey will win in Western PA and probably wrap up a win… Hoeffel would bomb in western PA and is a weak campaigner.

Polls show Casey with 80%+ amongst self identified liberal voters, that’s more than Hoeffel got in 2004 what more Casey beats Santorum amongst groups where Hoeffel would never come close. You fears are completely unfounded; anyone running at 80+ amongst liberal will win Philly handily, and if there beating the Republican candidate amongst married voters then their favoured to win the general election.                 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 04:40:56 AM »

In case anyone's interested, Hoeffel managed to lose Lackawanna county in his last Senate run.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 06:03:17 AM »

I sometimes wonder why Republicans are doing better than Democrats at the moment.  Then I find topics like this and it becomes clear.

Quite frankly, if Democrats don't quit refusing to support someone unless they're 100% happy with that person, they can kiss ever being the majority party goodbye.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

I sometimes wonder why Republicans are doing better than Democrats at the moment.  Then I find topics like this and it becomes clear.

Quite frankly, if Democrats don't quit refusing to support someone unless they're 100% happy with that person, they can kiss ever being the majority party goodbye.

YES BUT ZE CANDIDATE MUST BE IDEOLOGICALLY PURE!!!!!!11111111111111111

Grin
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2005, 06:23:05 AM »

YES BUT ZE CANDIDATE MUST BE IDEOLOGICALLY PURE!!!!!!11111111111111111

Grin

That's right, we can't have no uppity pro-life heretics on board.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies