Largest cities (or municipalities) in New England to vote for Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:26:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Largest cities (or municipalities) in New England to vote for Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest cities (or municipalities) in New England to vote for Trump  (Read 2080 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2017, 10:02:49 PM by nclib »

Rank of municipality in New England; rank of municipality in state:

37   14   Bristol, CT
56   21   Wallingford, CT
58   22   Enfield, CT
60   23   Southington, CT
66   24   Shelton, CT

Since all of the above are in Conn., here are the largest municipalities in the other New England states to vote for Trump:

68   33   Westfield, MA

85   7   Coventry, RI

91   4   Derry   , NH

after 150   5   Auburn, ME

after 150   11   Barre, VT
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »

The above list is actually a list and ranking of municipalities in New England. In terms of actual cities, no city in Rhode Island voted for Trump, and the largest city in New Hampshire to vote for Trump was Rochester, though Derry town had a higher population.

In other states with city results available... (city results first, and municipality (or township) below):

15   Rome   Oneida   NY         
or   Brookhaven twp,   Suffolk County   NY         

10   Altoona   Blair   PA
or   Millcreek twp, Erie County, PA

29   Ocean City   Cape May   NJ
or
7   Lakewood twp   Ocean   NJ

22   Crystal Lake   McHenry   IL
or Orland twp, Cook County IL

4   Sterling Heights   Macomb   MI   

7   Waukesha   Waukesha   WI   

10   St. Cloud   Stearns   MN

1 Virginia Beach VA

9   Bakersfield   Kern   CA
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:21:48 AM »

Other sizable towns  off the top of my head are
Salem, NH
Hudson, NH
Merrimack, NH
Rochester, NH
Londonderry, NH
Bedford, NH
Bridgewater, MA
Agawam, MA
Billerica, MA
Saugus, MA
Dracut, MA
West Warwick, RI
Johnston, RI
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 03:44:21 AM »

Not New England....

Since the original poster went OT by posting other cities/municipal results I'll throw in this in the mix, since we do have established city/municipal level results available if we do enough digging for quite a few states in the Nation (Although it might involved crunching precinct level numbers and not just assumptions wrapped around an enigma)...

Interesting concept is the largest cities/municipality by State to back Trump in '16.

Largest City in Oregon to vote for Trump.... to quote from from my Oregon Thread:

1.) Medford---- (Pop 78.6k)---- (80% White, 14% Latino)---- MHI ($41.5k/Year)

Medford has long since transited from being a timber dependent community economically and has increasingly become a mixture of a retirement community, regional medical center, and shopping area for an entire region of Southern Oregon.

Almost 20% of the workforce is employed in the in the Health Care sector, 15% Retail sector, 10% Hospitality sector....

Medford is now virtually a tale of two cities.... the Westside is heavily working and lower Middle-Class with an extremely large Latino population, and the Eastside (East of I-5) is overwhelmingly Anglo and much more Middle and Upper-Middle Class...

Medford Election Results (1992-2016):

1992: (35D- 42R- 23 Perot)     +7 R  (The 19th most Republican City Oregon, small towns in front)
2008: 33.1k Voters (46-52 R)   +6 R
2012: 32.0k Voters (43-54 R)   +11 R
2016: 36.5k Voters (39-51 R)   +12 R

Devils are always in the details, and actually the details are very interesting....

1.) The most heavily Latino precincts are located in West Medford (3/14 Precincts in the City) that are approximately 30% Latino, with MHIs ranging from $24-38k/Yr... as well as two other precincts 15-20% Latino, with MHIs of slightly less than $35k/Yr....

2.) So where did the biggest swing happen against Clinton in '16? It was in the most heavily Latino and Working-Class/ Lower Middle-Class precincts within the City....

Precincts #56, 58, 60, & 62 all saw 13-18% swings against the Democratic Pres between '08 and '16....

Obama won 3/4 of these precincts in '08....

In fact Precinct # 58, the most heavily Democratic Precinct in the City (Downtown Medford) went from being a (57-39 D) in '08 to a (43-41 D) in '16!!!

Pretty clear here, there was a major defection to the Left with 5% voting Green, 5% Bernie Write-Ins, and Johnson bagging 6% as a Pro-Legalization and Anti-War Libertarian....

We see a similar pattern in the other major working-class precincts (And heavily Latino precincts) of West Medford, with the Greens grabbing 5% of the vote, and Write-Ins (Bernie?) capturing roughly 4% of the vote...

Roll East of I-5 and we see a different pattern....

Of the (Cool precincts in East Medford, that are roughly 90% Non-Latino White, of which 6/8 are definitely Upper Middle-Class in terms of MHI by Medford standards, we see between '12 and '16, significant swings towards the Democratic candidate, in the traditionally heavily Republican precincts in the City!!!

Although there was not a net swing towards the Democratic Pres candidate between '08 and '16, in half of these precincts there was a total swing between 0 and 3% between these three elections....

Meanwhile Greens + Write-Ins are capturing 8% in Pct # 46, 6% in Pct #47, 7% in Pct #48....

So, it does appear clear, that if the Latino "surge" happened in West Medford, Clinton was not the beneficiary, considering that these precincts swung towards Trump, despite a major 3rd Party vote..... The biggest swings towards Clinton happened in the most Anglo and wealthiest parts of Medford, again with a significant 3rd Party defection towards the Left....

Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »

What was the largest city straight up to vote for Trump? Probably Jacksonville or if not Ft. Worth or OKC/Tulsa?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »

Not New England....

Since the original poster went OT by posting other cities/municipal results I'll throw in this in the mix, since we do have established city/municipal level results available if we do enough digging for quite a few states in the Nation (Although it might involved crunching precinct level numbers and not just assumptions wrapped around an enigma)...

Interesting concept is the largest cities/municipality by State to back Trump in '16.

I tried to fit 'and other states' in the subject line, but there wasn't room after I added the word 'municipalities'. Nevertheless, it would be good to have a thread of what I bolded, and I will make one.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »

Other sizable towns  off the top of my head are
Salem, NH
Hudson, NH
Merrimack, NH
Rochester, NH
Londonderry, NH
Bedford, NH
Bridgewater, MA
Agawam, MA
Billerica, MA
Saugus, MA
Dracut, MA
West Warwick, RI
Johnston, RI

Have you checked how these have voted? My list in the first post is from the 'largest cities/towns in New England' list, and I checked the results to see which of them voted for Trump.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »

What was the largest city straight up to vote for Trump? Probably Jacksonville or if not Ft. Worth or OKC/Tulsa?

Jacksonville takes up the vast majority of Duval County, which Trump won by 1.39%, but its suburbs are quite Republican, so unknown so far.

If not Jacksonville, Fort Worth likely voted for Clinton (Obama won it in 2008). OKC likely voted for Trump so it would be that if not Jacksonville. Not coincidentally Jacksonville and OKC have the largest land areas of large cities in the U.S. aside from Alaska.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 08:18:02 PM »

Not New England....

I tried to fit 'and other states' in the subject line, but there wasn't room after I added the word 'municipalities'. Nevertheless, it would be good to have a thread of what I bolded, and I will make one.

Awesome nclib!!!

Didn't want to hijack your thread, and New England is actually one of the easiest places to track by cities/municipalities, for many reasons, so will take a look at the other thread and export posts as needed. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies