Poll for my fellow Republicans regarding DACA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:13:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll for my fellow Republicans regarding DACA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: After Trump separates children from parents and family by overturning DACA, do you still consider yourself a Republican?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Poll for my fellow Republicans regarding DACA  (Read 4169 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »

The overturn of DACA, to me, has to be one of the very meanest and most inhuman acts ever perpetrated by a U.S. President, separating adult children from parents and family.

My fellow Republicans, do you still consider yourself to be a Republican after this? 
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »

Do you?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »

Of course. Just because I disagree with a person of my party and the actions he took doesn't mean that I would stop being a member of the party.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »

Yes, but not from the Trump wing of the party. 
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »

Yes because I dont believe in rewarding breaking the law. No matter who it is
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »

So a baby who's born in Guatemala and brought to the United States by their parents is "breaking the law?"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »

The overturn of DACA, to me, has to be one of the very meanest and most inhuman acts ever perpetrated by a U.S. President, separating adult children from parents and family.

My fellow Republicans, do you still consider yourself to be a Republican after this? 

You were all gung go after his victory, and he promised to do this during the campaign, so what the hell are you upset about now?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »

So a baby who's born in Guatemala and brought to the United States by their parents is "breaking the law?"
Yes since they dont have the proper documentation, dont have permission to be here, and entered the country illegally. If my parents brought me into idk, say Japan when i was a kid, do i have the right to stay or demand that they allow me to stay?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2017, 10:58:05 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Yes since they dont have the proper documentation, dont have permission to be here, and entered the country illegally. If my parents brought me into idk, say Japan when i was a kid, do i have the right to stay or demand that they allow me to stay?

It's not a question of rights, it's a question of morals.  You have no say where you end up as a child.  A child cannot apply for documentation.  Why should they be penalized because their parents broke the law?  In what other areas of the law do we apply this rationale?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »

You were all gung go after his victory, and he promised to do this during the campaign, so what the hell are you upset about now?

During the campaign I railed against Trump on many occasions over many different issues.

Overall I supported Trump over Hillary because I simply did not want crooked Hillary as President.

My support for Trump was largely based on the control of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Yes, I did support and celebrate his victory, but never did I at any time support everything he advocated.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2017, 11:03:24 PM by cinyc »

Your statement doesn't even make sense. Nobody is being separated from anybody simply because of the not-so-immediate repeal of DACA - an overreaching Obama executive action that was blatently unconstitutional. Trump really had no choice but to repeal it, as he was being sued by many states Attorney Generals, and would have lost in court. Don't believe me that it was unconstitutional?  Well, one of Obama's lawyers who worked on DACA has admitted as much.

The DACA repeal is really a bargaining chip that, if Trump is smart, will be used to get things like funding for the border wall and mandatory use of e-Verify. Trump sunsetted DACA after 6 months, instead of immediately, for a reason.

And even if Congress doesn't pass DACA-lite (which it ultimately will), it doesn't mean that "dreamers" will automatically be deported without their parents anyway. First, the government would have to find them and make it a priority to deport them over the convicted criminals that Trump is currently focussing on deporting. Plus, if in the country, "dreamers'" parents are likely illegal aliens, and are subject to deportation, too. So the family doesn't have to be broken up - if deportation is a viable option, they can all be deported together. American citizen children have the right to remain in the country, but nothing is stopping illegal immigrant parents from taking them back to their home country if deported, or placing them with relatives legally living in the country.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:37 PM »

It's not a question of rights, it's a question of morals.  You have no say where you end up as a child.  A child cannot apply for documentation.  Why should they be penalized because their parents broke the law?  In what other areas of the law do we apply this rationale?
The law requires you to be a US Citizen or have proper documentation if you want to be in this country, if you dont, tough. Under your method, the whole world would be flooding in here with their kids. Bottom line is i believe that we should cater to Americans rather than foreign nationals
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »

It's not a question of rights, it's a question of morals.  You have no say where you end up as a child.  A child cannot apply for documentation.  Why should they be penalized because their parents broke the law?  In what other areas of the law do we apply this rationale?
The law requires you to be a US Citizen or have proper documentation if you want to be in this country, if you dont, tough. Under your method, the whole world would be flooding in here with their kids. Bottom line is i believe that we should cater to Americans rather than foreign nationals

Most Americans seem to support the program. So if you're catering to Americans, you'll do the policy most of them want which is continue the program.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »

Well, that's the Republican attitude, obviously.  In a rut because of circumstances beyond your control?  Tough.

And you probably go to church each Sunday.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:41 PM »

It's not a question of rights, it's a question of morals.  You have no say where you end up as a child.  A child cannot apply for documentation.  Why should they be penalized because their parents broke the law?  In what other areas of the law do we apply this rationale?

Most Americans seem to support the program. So if you're catering to Americans, you'll do the policy most of them want which is continue the program.
I meant America should be for Americans first before we have to accomodate foreigners. Their parents broke the law, and there shouldnt be a reward for them because of it. Especially with those who want to give them citizenship, people who actually want to become citizens legally go through a long process and its a slap in the face to them if a bunch of border hoppers got to automatically just because of the "think of the children" excuse
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »

I meant America should be for Americans first before we have to accomodate foreigners. Their parents broke the law, and there shouldnt be a reward for them because of it. Especially with those who want to give them citizenship, people who actually want to become citizens legally go through a long process and its a slap in the face to them if a bunch of border hoppers got to automatically just because of the "think of the children" excuse

I agree... we should be for Americans first. Again, most Americans seem to support the program, and as long as that is the case, we should respect the wishes of these majority of Americans first.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »

Your statement doesn't even make sense. Nobody is being separated from anybody simply because of the not-so-immediate repeal of DACA - an overreaching Obama executive action that was blatently unconstitutional. Trump really had no choice but to repeal it, as he was being sued by many states Attorney Generals, and would have lost in court. Don't believe me that it was unconstitutional?  Well, one of Obama's lawyers who worked on DACA has admitted as much.

The DACA repeal is really a bargaining chip that, if Trump is smart, will be used to get things like funding for the border wall and mandatory use of e-Verify. Trump sunsetted DACA after 6 months, instead of immediately, for a reason.

And even if Congress doesn't pass DACA-lite (which it ultimately will), it doesn't mean that "dreamers" will automatically be deported without their parents anyway. First, the government would have to find them and make it a priority to deport them over the convicted criminals that Trump is currently focussing on deporting. Plus, if in the country, "dreamers'" parents are likely illegal aliens, and are subject to deportation, too. So the family doesn't have to be broken up - if deportation is a viable option, they can all be deported together. American citizen children have the right to remain in the country, but nothing is stopping illegal immigrant parents from taking them back to their home country if deported, or placing them with relatives legally living in the country.

Thank you for your intelligent and well informed comments.

But my preference is that deportations of these so called "Dreamers" to not commence at all,  except for say criminal elements.

I am hopeful that Congress will legalize a program within six months to protect these "Dreamers."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:54 AM »

"A bunch of border hoppers."
Your true colors are starting to show.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 01:31:55 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2017, 01:33:56 AM by clash »

Our priority needs to be keeping these families together. They're all going back together, believe me.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 04:32:08 AM »

Not at all buddy. My grandparents are from Colombia but the difference is they came here LEGALLY, and worked their asses off for what they have now. Why should they go through the process and work hard for everything my family has now when there are people just walking over the border and demanding special treatment. It's ridiculously unfair to immigrants who do it the right way, essentially punishing their integrity and rewarding people who broke the law
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 06:25:14 AM »

Not at all buddy. My grandparents are from Colombia but the difference is they came here LEGALLY, and worked their asses off for what they have now. Why should they go through the process and work hard for everything my family has now when there are people just walking over the border and demanding special treatment. It's ridiculously unfair to immigrants who do it the right way, essentially punishing their integrity and rewarding people who broke the law

Learn some f**king empathy.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »

The DACA repeal is really a bargaining chip that, if Trump is smart, will be used to get things like funding for the border wall and mandatory use of e-Verify.
Well, if pigs could fly...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »

Yes. However, the idea that being granted legal status with no path to citizenship (and be real lefties, citizenship is off the table as long as Republicans exist) and likely little to no access to government benefits other than perhaps in-state tuition, is some sort of "reward" for their illegal status, which they aren't even culpable for, is ridiculous.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »

THANK YOU.

Seriously, these guys are pissing me off.  The man literally says he will do something, you vote for him, then get butthurt when he does it.  You have no right to be upset; YOU VOTED FOR THIS!

I don't care that you didn't like Hillary, so you only voted for Trump to keep her from winning.  Your reasons for voting for Trump DO NOT MATTER.  You voted for him, you voted for his policies, and you voted for his campaign promises.  YOU VOTED FOR HIS DECISION ON DACA.  Stop bitching about it, because this is just as much on you as it is on Trump.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »

Yes. However, the idea that being granted legal status with no path to citizenship (and be real lefties, citizenship is off the table as long as Republicans exist) and likely little to no access to government benefits other than perhaps in-state tuition, is some sort of "reward" for their illegal status, which they aren't even culpable for, is ridiculous.

Seriously?  A baby is breaking the law?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies