Heidi Heitkamp accompanying trump to his tax reform speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:38:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Heidi Heitkamp accompanying trump to his tax reform speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heidi Heitkamp accompanying trump to his tax reform speech  (Read 713 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

To what extent is this a sign that she is willing to vote for a tax reform bill?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/democratic-senator-slated-to-travel-with-trump-to-tax-reform-rally.html
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:53:34 PM »

She's gotta survive in 2018 (which she could do without voting for it, but it does help her)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:53:50 PM »

To what extent is this a sign that she is willing to vote for a tax reform bill?
She's a smart politician. She knows exactly what to do in order to get reelected, so she takes those steps. This is exactly why the race is Likely D (and closer to Safe than Lean).
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »

SO her chances of being the 2020 nominee just went from 0.00005% to 0.00001%
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:20 AM »

Why... Why exactly would she even consider being the nominee? That doesn't appear to be something she's interested in, at all.

As for Heitkamp accompanying Trump, eh, its a super red state. If I had a Dem Senator in Utah, I'd expect them to do things I wouldn't agree with, same with Heitkamp.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:20:06 AM »

She's a smart politician. She knows exactly what to do in order to get reelected, so she takes those steps. This is exactly why the race is Likely D (and closer to Safe than Lean).

No. She's quite stupid. "Tax reform" is one issue where most regular people favor the Democratic position. Of all the issues to win over Republicans, this is the least likely to work.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 02:30:09 AM »

Why... Why exactly would she even consider being the nominee? That doesn't appear to be something she's interested in, at all.

As for Heitkamp accompanying Trump, eh, its a super red state. If I had a Dem Senator in Utah, I'd expect them to do things I wouldn't agree with, same with Heitkamp.
I'm not suggesting she's interested, but she's spoken about by a lot of people on this forum as a potential candidate
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:34 AM »

Every Democratic Senator would be willing to vote for a tax reform bill... if it wasn't just a fancy package for massive tax cuts on large corporations and the wealthy.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »

No. She's quite stupid. "Tax reform" is one issue where most regular people favor the Democratic position. Of all the issues to win over Republicans, this is the least likely to work.

I think it's more about the optic of being "willing to try to work with the President" than any actual policy agreement or her actually voting for the bill in the end.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »

I think it's more about the optic of being "willing to try to work with the President" than any actual policy agreement or her actually voting for the bill in the end.

Even if that "optic" spits in the face of your base?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »

Every Democratic Senator would be willing to vote for a tax reform bill... if it wasn't just a fancy package for massive tax cuts on large corporations and the wealthy.

This.

If Trump proposed a legit proposal that helped the middle-class and closed loopholes in the tax code, he would be able to get alot of Democratic support.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »

It's not like she's next door in Minnesota. What kind of base do Democrats have in North Dakota? And of that base, how much even turns out in a midterm? If she's going to win next year, she'll need to win Trump voters.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »

She quite likely will need literally as many Trump voters as Clinton voters voting for her to get reelected. Trump got 63% in that state, to Clinton's 29% and Other's 9%. Her main concern, and that of any politician in a state where the opposing presidential nominee won by 34 points, is to look willing to cooperate with the President when it benefits the state and oppose him when it's in the state's interests.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies