Top 5 individual college football regular season performances
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 06:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Top 5 individual college football regular season performances
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 5 individual college football regular season performances  (Read 281 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
« edited: September 06, 2017, 06:59:10 PM by Old School Republican »

since you started watching College football :

I started watching in 2007, and top 5 I have seen are:

1. Tim Tebow 2007(I think this one is pretty Obvious)

2. Marcus Mariota 2014 (Basically carried Oregon on his back that whole season , and helped them overcome their numerous injures and reach the playoffs)

3. Cam Newton 2010(Like Mariota 2014 , but he didnt dominate teams like Mariota did, and mariota stats were a little more gaudy )

4. Andrew Luck 2011(Other than the Oregon game that year , he pretty much dominated everyone
)
5. Melvin Gordon 2014(2300+ rushing yards, and carried Wisconsin that year)

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:50:36 AM »

1. Dak Prescott 2014
2. Johnny Manziel 2012
3. Can Newton 2010
4. Tim Tebow 2007
5. No one obviously coming to mind. Maybe a Leach QB or Lamar Jackson if you just count his first 10 games last year.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »

1. Dak Prescott 2014
2. Johnny Manziel 2012
3. Can Newton 2010
4. Tim Tebow 2007
5. No one obviously coming to mind. Maybe a Leach QB or Lamar Jackson if you just count his first 10 games last year.

Mariota was clearly better than Prescott that year its not even funny , and I think in hindsight it proves it more.

Mariota took a team who had numerous injures( Addison , Fisher and Grasu being injured for parts for the season, Pharoh Brown getting injured) along with a team losing stars from the year past to the nfl(De'Anthony Thomas, Josh Huff) to the playoffs. The PAC 12 that year also had just as many ranked teams as the SEC did(and did better in bowl season that year than the SEC did) and Mariota crushed those teams . Just look at how Oregon has performed since Mariota left.

Also Mariota had way way better stats than Prescott its not even funny, and he did it in a conference which was arguably better that year.

Lastly Mariota won the 2nd biggest landslide in heisman history(3rd if you count reggie bush) : https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/13/7388687/2014-heisman-trophy-voting-totals.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »

Also why do you only have SEC players on that list.

Not only are you forgetting Mariota , but if you have watched College Football before 2007 your forgetting Reggie Bush, Vince Young.

Lastly Manziel lol, he was overrated in so many ways its not even funny. The fact is the BCS was biased for Alabama its not even funny, Oregon lost by 3 in OT to a Rose Bowl winner and dominated everyone else they dont get to play for a title, Bama lost bigger to a worse team and get to play for a title lol.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

I can't blame an Oregon fan for pumping up Mariota and other Pac-12 players.

Remember that Dak is the only player on Mississippi States 2014 #1 ranked team on offense to ever play in the NFL (aside from Josh Robinson getting a few dozen garbage time yards 1 time). It wasn't clear at the time, or else he would've been landslide heisman, but Dak was everything to that team.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »

I can't blame an Oregon fan for pumping up Mariota and other Pac-12 players.

Remember that Dak is the only player on Mississippi States 2014 #1 ranked team on offense to ever play in the NFL (aside from Josh Robinson getting a few dozen garbage time yards 1 time). It wasn't clear at the time, or else he would've been landslide heisman, but Dak was everything to that team.

Thats not true:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-game?date=2015-01-12

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Also there is no way even with hindsight a guy who won 90.6% of total heisman points, and 89% of first place votes to lose the heisman vote to a guy who won .22% of first place votes even with hindsight. Maybe Prescott comes 3rd but he doenst beat Mariota(who led an injury hobbled oregon to the playoffs while playing in a conference with same amount of ranked teams as SEC, while putting up way better numbers) and probably doenst beat gordon too(who carried that badgers team , and had a record rushing season).

Lastly how much NFL talent your team has doesnt mean much for college , just look at the 2010 Oregon Ducks . That year Oregon were one last second field goal away from winning the national championship and this was their team: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oregon/2010.html.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »

I wasn't even going to bother responding to this mind numbing thread, but once you cited sports-reference as your choice of support, I may as well provide this fact about the Pac-12>SEC claim in 2014

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »

I wasn't even going to bother responding to this mind numbing thread, but once you cited sports-reference as your choice of support, I may as well provide this fact about the Pac-12>SEC claim in 2014

The amount of ranked teams is more important and they were equal that year . The SEC usually plays 4 out of conference games and they are even easier than the PAC 12 version.

Also look at the bowl game record of the SEC and PAC 12 that year
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »

The amount of ranked teams is more important and they were equal that year . The SEC usually plays 4 out of conference games and they are even easier than the PAC 12 version.

Also look at the bowl game record of the SEC and PAC 12 that year

Number* of ranked teams.  If you count individual units, use "number" instead of "amount."

A) The AMOUNT of snow on the ground
B) The NUMBER of snowflakes on the ground
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 01:27:33 AM »

College football existed before the 2000's Tongue But even if we just do the 2000's there is no way in hell that Johnny Manziel would make my top 10 list. No way in hell.

It's also important to look at some of the non-Power FBS schools for great players. June Jones had some good ball players on his Hawaii teams, for example.

I personally like the 1980s-1990s era of college football the most (I wasn't alive in '80s and was too young to care in the '90's but highlight clips are always a youtube search away in today's era.)

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:24 AM »

College football existed before the 2000's Tongue But even if we just do the 2000's there is no way in hell that Johnny Manziel would make my top 10 list. No way in hell.

It's also important to look at some of the non-Power FBS schools for great players. June Jones had some good ball players on his Hawaii teams, for example.

I personally like the 1980s-1990s era of college football the most (I wasn't alive in '80s and was too young to care in the '90's but highlight clips are always a youtube search away in today's era.)

Damn right it did, and this guy deserves to be in ANY conversation about greatest performances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Grange

Go Illini!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »

Damn right it did, and this guy deserves to be in ANY conversation about greatest performances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Grange

Go Illini!

Niceee.

I always liked the story of Nile Kinnick from Iowa. And his Heisman speech fits the "smoothing midwesterner" meme as well Tongue

"I would like, if I may, to make a comment which I think is appropriate at this time. I thank God that I was born to the gridirons of the middle west and not to the battlefields of Europe. I can speak confidently and positively that the football players of this country would rather fight for the Heisman trophy than for the Croix de Guerre."

(For those who don't know who Nile Kinnick is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Kinnick)

And a bit later on I liked reading about and watching old highlights of guys like Sam Huff from West Virginia (He also has some great NFL fame).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Huff

And of course, Jim Brown and Ernie Davis are legends of Syracuse football.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies