If Oprah Winfrey ran, how would she do in the Democratic primaries?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:12:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If Oprah Winfrey ran, how would she do in the Democratic primaries?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Oprah Winfrey ran, how would she do in the Democratic primaries?  (Read 618 times)
Thomas
Jabe Shepherd
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »
« edited: September 08, 2017, 04:12:08 PM by Thomas »

I'm assuming she would run as a Democrat, State your opinions
politics_king
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:24:13 AM »

She would have the name-recognition and respect but a lot of people would be very suspect of a Democratic "Celebrity" nominee right now as we've witnessed Trump. But she does have the respect so if she showed herself to be polished I think a tidal-wave of favorability would come to her. I always thought before Kanye West did what he did with his bleach blonde hair could've rode the young voter wave to the Democratic nomination and extreme with where politics in the United States is going right now. As voters would be like... "Oh, you gave us Trump?! Ok. Well... Here's Kanye West!" You would almost certainly have an Independent ticket run against them but it would be on hallowed ears because the circus would be front and center. A debate between Trump and Kanye would be mind-blowing "Reality" TV. Front and center.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »

She would have the name-recognition and respect but a lot of people would be very suspect of a Democratic "Celebrity" nominee right now as we've witnessed Trump. But she does have the respect so if she showed herself to be polished I think a tidal-wave of favorability would come to her.

I tend to agree with this. Winfrey would imo be the strongest possible celebrity candidate (at least in the Democratic primaries), but generally speaking the party out of power nominates someone who strongly contrasts with the current president. Trump and Romney were reactions to Obama, Obama and Kerry contrasted with Bush in different ways, Bush and Dole contrasted with Clinton, and Clinton was a strong contrast to Bush I. I expect Democrats to nominate a younger candidate with at least some political experience.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »

"Who" would she do?  Hopefully no one.  I would hope that presidential candidates wouldn't resort to sleeping their way to the top.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »

She does Tom Perez, so he'll slip her all of the delegates. This is a pretty erotic topic tbh...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

It'll be just like Samuel L Jackson and Selma Hayek in Hitman's Bodyguard, only reversed.
Thomas
Jabe Shepherd
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »

She does Tom Perez, so he'll slip her all of the delegates. This is a pretty erotic topic tbh...

Sorry i just realized i put who instead of how i fixed it
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »

I can't see her winning any kind of primary which is possible - a primary which features almost no opponents, perhaps.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »

Flop. No one is here for a political novice.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:32:40 PM »

Oprah wins all Southern states (especially South Carolina, but excluding Texas), and nothing else, and drops out by Early April. Her biggest impact is knocking other Black candidates, like Deval Patrick, Cory Booker and possibly Kamala Harris out of the race, helping clear the field for someone like Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Kirsten Gillibrand or Bernie Sanders.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

"Who" would she do?  Hopefully no one.  I would hope that presidential candidates wouldn't resort to sleeping their way to the top.

Um, how do you think Trump won?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »

She'd probably win. And I say that with a HEAVY sigh
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »

I generally assume that Oprah doesn't have an ideology. If the right advisers got to her quick enough, she'd be my first choice tbh.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 02:19:38 AM »

I generally assume that Oprah doesn't have an ideology. If the right advisers got to her quick enough, she'd be my first choice tbh.

I generally believe that once you attain a certain amount of wealth your internal politics immediately turn to s**t.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »

I generally believe that once you attain a certain amount of wealth your internal politics immediately turn to s**t.

Franklin D. Roosevelt?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »

It insulates you, certainly, but at the same time after a certain level having *no * material pressure on you frees you up to be pretty wacky. With wealthy folks, a lot of it is the social circle you're in.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies