Windows vs Linux (and Mac I guess)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:44:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Windows vs Linux (and Mac I guess)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is the better OS
Windows

Linux

Mac OS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Windows vs Linux (and Mac I guess)  (Read 1325 times)
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »

Only Commies use Mac OS.

Also, specify your version of Win or Linux.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »

Mac OSX is probably the most capitalist OS out there. Linux is what commies use.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:22 AM »

I use Linux. I used to be a nerd who used Arch and Gentoo, but now I use Mint because I'm lazy Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

Linux.

Used to use Ubuntu.

Mac OSX is probably the most capitalist OS out there. Linux is what commies use.

That'd be Chrome OS actually.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »

Linux.

Used to use Ubuntu.

That'd be Chrome OS actually.

Chrome OS is much cheaper than a Mac, it's the OS for poor students who aren't smart or patient enough for Linux.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »

What in the world is Linux?  Anyway, Windows.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »

Mac OS:  it's a bit pricey, but its UNIX-based operating system is nice as a programmer, and unlike Linux, it's actually compatible with most things these days.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »

I use Mac OS on my MacBook as my main computer for doing things on, while the PC that I use for games runs Windows 10.  I mean the gap between the two has closed over the last few years but OS X is still clearly the better laptop OS: little things like full screen apps and the like are very good when you're working off like a small 13 inch screen; plus it just seems to have less rough edges compares to Windows for some reason.  Plus its also proper UNIX so you can be a little smug towards Linux people who know their stuff.

Linux needs stuff to be developed for it in order to consider switching to it: an Operating System is only as useful as the applications that you can run on it and Linux, while being... fine if you only want to browse the internet and do basic things, its not really any good if you're trying much more intensive than that.  I also have nightmares from the time when I was nineteen and a friend bought a Linux laptop and was trying to get wi-fi to work for it and couldn't; just because it was an absolute nightmare to get the thing working and even then, it wouldn't always work.  Seems to have been a driver problem since as soon as she got sick of it and stuck Windows on the thing it worked perfectly fine!  The Open Source thing is good and can work - consider the fact that 80+% of all web browsers are based on Open Source code and that one of the two major mobile Operating Systems is Open Source for example - but its much easier for people to switch web browsers or office packages than Operating Systems since a new platform needs lots of applications before it becomes viable for people to switch and Linux isn't there yet - and honestly won't ever be as a desktop OS, they'd need to get near Mac market share before they could start getting lots of developers to move over.  There's also the fact that its actually very complicated for a... normal person to even consider switching; you've got the millions of different distros, the differences between GNOME or KDE (or the many other window managers) and lots of other things that makes switching to Linux look pretty damn intimidating.

I've dabbled with Linux inside Virtual Machines before but that's as far as I've gone - not got anything that I could install it on really.  Not really going to dual boot on my MacBook, considering that its only got a 128Gig SSD.

What in the world is Linux?  Anyway, Windows.

Linux is an open source free operating system that's the main server operating system and the third largest desktop Operating System - as well as the thing than Android was based on.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »

Mac (commie)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »

Again, Macintosh is the least communist operating system you can find these days.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »

Were you trying to sound clueless?
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »

Nope, it was a joke. But I do believe Mac is overwhelming inferior to most other OS's.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 08:32:18 AM »

Plus its also proper UNIX so you can be a little smug towards Linux people who know their stuff.
Do Mac users know how to be "a little smug"?  'cause I've never seen it.  If Mac users are known for anything it's their lack of smugness.  They totally understand that people and computers are different and fully respect the "to each their own" principle and would never just blindly assume negative things about the competition that they heard 20 years ago and still just assume every word of it is true.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »

Windows
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »

Nope, it was a joke. But I do believe Mac is overwhelming inferior to most other OS's.

Its silly to believe this - mostly because any real differences between OSs have vanished in recent years - Windows 10 and MacOS are basically the same bar the UI and a few small features (tiling windows on Windows is very good; the whole Expose/Spaces/Full Screen Apps thing on the Mac side is also very good), plus the things that they run.  Its not like we're living in the early 90s, when every had different solutions to things and you had the Amiga clearly running ahead of everyone else in terms of... everything: now its all very much the same (I mean there's a reason why almost laptop made today looks very similar to the MacBook in some way) and also a lot more boring.

Plus its also proper UNIX so you can be a little smug towards Linux people who know their stuff.
Do Mac users know how to be "a little smug"?  'cause I've never seen it.  If Mac users are known for anything it's their lack of smugness.  They totally understand that people and computers are different and fully respect the "to each their own" principle and would never just blindly assume negative things about the competition that they heard 20 years ago and still just assume every word of it is true.

...don't know what you're talking about Wink
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2017, 10:52:43 PM by Angry Socdem »

If you're a Mac user, then you're certainly not helping yourself prove your point. Honestly, though, I can't be surprised.

I agree with bagelman here. Mac OS is the most capitalistic OS. I find that Macs are the technological embodiment of "fiscally conservative socially liberal", going hand-in-hand with the Starbucks-drinking, Cadillac-driving, upper-middle class business executive who voted for Clinton but doesn't understand why the economically disadvantaged don't "just pull themselves up by the bootstraps".

Linux is the most "left-wing" OS IMO - the open-source vs. proprietary arguments can be mapped onto the left vs. right arguments, with very high degrees of success; in fact, the open-source movement was more or less born out of left-libertarianism.

Oh, and Chrome OS is for those who don't have access to a better computer, and technological illiterates who only use their computer for facebook and email.

I build my desktops, for maximum customization and minimum cost, and install Windows 10 on them. I do really want to try Linux, though - maybe I'll install it on a separate partition/drive and have a dual-boot computer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies