FT 4-03: The Mann Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:30:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 4-03: The Mann Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 4-03: The Mann Act  (Read 1575 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Chair calls the Prime Minister.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »

My thanks, Madam Speaker.

In plain terms, this bill is an attempt to use the unparalleled prosperity of our region to do something worthwhile for the benefit of the whole people. As has been much discussed in the debate on the budget, we anticipate a truly enormous draw of revenue — more than $800 billion — for the coming fiscal year, and have spent comparatively little on it. The proposal before you will take $300 billion of that sum and use it to rebuild and expand our public school system from the ground up. It will do this by offering a series of annual grants aimed at improving public education in three distinct ways:

(a) Grants issued under Section 2(ii) will be used to fund universal pre-school in applicant districts;
(b) Grants issued under Section 2(iii) will be used to hire more teachers for schools where the student/teacher ratio is greater than 20:1;
(c) Grants issued under Section 2(iv) may be used for a variety of other projects, from increasing teachers' pay to expanding school lunch programs.

Thoughts?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:41:11 PM »

I'd like to offer the following amendment, which I believe is necessary to prevent the concentration of power in the hands of a single person. Basically, this House will spend a brief time, perhaps a day, on approving or disapproving this applications. Each member and the Prime Minister will have two weeks to review each application and then vote.

For example, a vote may proceed as the following example:

1. Los Angeles USD: Aye
2. Sioux Falls SD: Aye
3. Pend Oreille County Schools: Aye
[...]

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »

I can appreciate a desire to avoid placing too much power in the hands of any one official; on the other hand, approving each application by an up-or-down vote of the Commons rather defeats the purpose of passing an omnibus grant bill. Perhaps, as a compromise, we could give the power of approval to a (non-playable) committee appointed by the Commons, and chaired by a representative of the prime minister?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

I can appreciate a desire to avoid placing too much power in the hands of any one official; on the other hand, approving each application by an up-or-down vote of the Commons rather defeats the purpose of passing an omnibus grant bill. Perhaps, as a compromise, we could give the power of approval to a (non-playable) committee appointed by the Commons, and chaired by a representative of the prime minister?

I'd rather have a state-by-state measure, in which an elected (non-playable) school board handles each state's application, with one member of the board being appointed by the PM and confirmed by the rest of the Commons.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »

I would like an amendment that would add appropriations for ensuring that all school meals are free. Before I write such an amendment, though, I would like to hear from a GM about the cost, if possible.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

I'd rather have a state-by-state measure, in which an elected (non-playable) school board handles each state's application, with one member of the board being appointed by the PM and confirmed by the rest of the Commons.
I'm afraid I can't support that. As this money has been raised and provided by the commonwealth government, I feel the commonwealth should have the final say in how it is used.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 01:46:26 AM by Libertarian-Leaning Progressive »

I'm afraid I can't support that. As this money has been raised and provided by the commonwealth government, I feel the commonwealth should have the final say in how it is used.
Agreed
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »

If my previous post was not sufficient, I object to the amendment.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

I will not support the unamended version of this bill.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 10:20:53 PM »

What about tertiary/higher education? I am personally a supporter of free college tuition, and believe that Fremont can, and should, take action on this issue.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »

What about tertiary/higher education? I am personally a supporter of free college tuition, and believe that Fremont can, and should, take action on this issue.
As we speak, the Congress is considering legislation that would implement such a program, funded jointly by the federal government and the regions. I think we should wait to see what they come up with before moving forward on our own.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »

There has been no debate for four days. If nobody has anything further to add, I will move for a final vote tomorrow evening. Note that my comments on the Warren Act re: "speak now or forever hold your peace" apply here too.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »

There has been no debate for four days. If nobody has anything further to add, I will move for a final vote tomorrow evening. Note that my comments on the Warren Act re: "speak now or forever hold your peace" apply here too.

Which version will be voted on?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »

Which version will be voted on?
Kamala's amendment was not adopted, so the version contained in the OP is still the current text.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »

Seeing no objections, we will move to a vote on the Mann Act.

I vote NAY.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 12:06:52 AM »

I vote Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »

AYE
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 01:10:37 AM »

AYE.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »

AYE
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »

Seeing as all members of this House have voted, this act passes on a vote of 4-1. It now moves to the Prime Minister's desk for further action.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies