Hillary Clinton says she will not run in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:45:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Hillary Clinton says she will not run in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton says she will not run in 2020  (Read 4322 times)
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »

But secular talk told me that she's gonna run again. Brb gonna make 7 threads on excerpts from her book.

Secular talk has more credibility then a random poster on the internet. She stated She's not leaving politics...so what else does that mean.

So much credibility after Paula Jean Swearengin loses in a landslide to Joe Manchin and he blames it on corporate Dems.
I'd keep my mouth shut until the primaries are finished.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »

Hopefully. She's been a bad candidate in 2008 and 2016. It's time for new leaders. Democrats have enough good people other than Hillary (and Bernard).

I would argue that she was a good candidate in 2008, it's just that Obama was exceptional. I think Hillary would've crushed McCain by a margin similar to Obama's, had she won the nomination. She was really at her peak in 2008 - it was then that she had the most convincing speeches, came off as the most charismatic, wasn't yet nearly as scandal-ridden as she is now, and still had strong appeal in many working class whites areas (like WV or AR, where she would've well outperformed Obama).

I honestly believe that 2008 was a case where the electorate was ripe for a 1952/56 tier electoral landslide in favor of the Democrats and Obama blew the opportunity, being just about the worst candidate the Democrats could have nominated that year.

Was Obama a worse choice than John Edwards in your opinion, or just worse than Clinton?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »

Good. It's time for someone new.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 08:27:38 PM »

Hopefully. She's been a bad candidate in 2008 and 2016. It's time for new leaders. Democrats have enough good people other than Hillary (and Bernard).

I would argue that she was a good candidate in 2008, it's just that Obama was exceptional. I think Hillary would've crushed McCain by a margin similar to Obama's, had she won the nomination. She was really at her peak in 2008 - it was then that she had the most convincing speeches, came off as the most charismatic, wasn't yet nearly as scandal-ridden as she is now, and still had strong appeal in many working class whites areas (like WV or AR, where she would've well outperformed Obama).

I honestly believe that 2008 was a case where the electorate was ripe for a 1952/56 tier electoral landslide in favor of the Democrats and Obama blew the opportunity, being just about the worst candidate the Democrats could have nominated that year.

Was Obama a worse choice than John Edwards in your opinion, or just worse than Clinton?

Depends on how big of a media story John Edwards sex scandal becomes.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »

I wonder what direction the party would've taken if Hillary was the nominee in 2008 instead. A good election night for her in 2008 probably would've turned states like Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and West Virginia blue, states where was leading in polls against John McCain. Quite a turnaround in 2016 from 2008. Maybe the white working realignment wouldn't have been as dramatic, who knows.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »

As much as I wanted her to be President, she made the correct decision here.
This.

I wonder what direction the party would've taken if Hillary was the nominee in 2008 instead. A good election night for her in 2008 probably would've turned states like Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and West Virginia blue, states where was leading in polls against John McCain. Quite a turnaround in 2016 from 2008. Maybe the white working realignment wouldn't have been as dramatic, who knows.
My personal belief: Obama probably becomes her Secretary of State or rises through the ranks in the Senate and maintains a high profile. He easily wins the nomination in 2016, and due to his charisma, is able to defeat Trump in 2016.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »

She's not running.

Also, she will be remembered extremely favorably by future historians.  The current right-wing hate of Hillary is unfounded, illogical, and based solely on speculation and conspiracy theory.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2017, 01:53:58 PM by Da2017 »

I don't think she get much support if she ran again. Donors are putting their money elsewhere.Hillary is finished. The democrats lost to a orange clown. There are lot of good female candidates. Harris can come across down to earth. Warren has populist credentials.We will have a female president one of these days.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »

I don't think she get much support if she ran again. Donors are putting their money elsewhere.Hillary is finished. The democrats lost to a orange clown. There are lot of good female candidates. Harris can come across down to earth. Warren has populist credentials.We will have a female president one of these days.

The first female President will be a Republican.
ahugecat

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »

She's not running.

Also, she will be remembered extremely favorably by future historians.  The current right-wing hate of Hillary is unfounded, illogical, and based solely on speculation and conspiracy theory.

She will never become a feminist icon like she wants to be though.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »

Let's hope that it's true. I think it is.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »

Agreed
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »

She's not running.

She will never become a feminist icon like she wants to be though.

She is the first woman major party nominee. That already puts her up in the pantheon along with Susan B. Anthony, Gloria Steinem, etc.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »

That's too bad.  A rematch would be fun to watch.
ahugecat

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »

She is the first woman major party nominee. That already puts her up in the pantheon along with Susan B. Anthony, Gloria Steinem, etc.

She tries too hard.

She wanted to be the first woman nominee so SHE could be the first female nominee.

When you become an icon, you can't try. You just are. Hillary will never be a feminist icon like Susan B. Anthony. She only got to where she was due to her husband. Every step she has made was about her. For example, she ran in the New York Senate race because it was a slam dunk guarantee win for her. She stole the seat from a woman who did work her way up there (Nita Lowey).

She wanted to go down in history as the first female President. If she would've died the second after taking the oath she would have been OK as long as she won. That to me is not what an icon should be all about.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »

Yes, between her primary and general election campaigns, she got over 100 million votes for president. Before her, the most accomplished woman candidate, Shirley Chisholm, got about 400,000 votes in the 1972 primaries. That's an over x200-fold increase over the next woman.

Hillary was clearly a breakthrough candidate, in some ways even more than the (eventual) first woman president will be.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »

Yes, between her primary and general election campaigns, she got over 100 million votes for president. Before her, the most accomplished woman candidate, Shirley Chisholm, got about 400,000 votes in the 1972 primaries. That's an over x200-fold increase over the next woman.

Hillary was clearly a breakthrough candidate, in some ways even more than the (eventual) first woman president will be.

Hillary Clinton is a wonderful, warm, caring woman and its heartbreaking to see that 46% of the country decided to vote for a man who was never qualified to be president and who questioned the birthplace of our first black president.

Hillary represeented more of the same, while Trump represented uncertainty. In 2008, McCain represented more of the same while Obama represented uncertainty. It's all well and good to say that the poors don't understand basic economics, but hell, if I was having trouble feeding my family I likely would've voted for Trump. At least with uncertainty, there's a chance things might get better.

It was not the deplorables who swung the election for Trump. It was the two time Obama voters in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, the ones who had been left behind by Obama's economic policies, the ones who didn't like Trump but believed he might at least try and keep their jobs in the US. Hillary stuck the middle finger to those people as much as possible. I hope she leaves politics and never comes back. The Clinton days are over.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »

I hope the deplorables who put Trump in office leave politics and never vote again. They are the problem, not Hillary. The days of those types are over.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »

Dude, no offense mate but you're not even an American. Stop trying to Ausplain our own politics to us.

First of all, don't call me mate.

Second, by your logic, you have no right to comment on anything but US politics.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »

Dude, no offense mate but you're not even an American. Stop trying to Ausplain our own politics to us.

Second, by your logic, you have no right to comment on anything but US politics.

Stop being so touchy, MATE

LOL
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »

LOL

I mean it. Don't call me that. Brings up some really bad memories for me.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »

LOL

How unfortunate that is.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 06:39:35 PM »

LOL

How unfortunate that is.
Please don't test me on this. I'm already stressed enough as it is.
History505
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »

I don't expect her to run again, she tried 2 times and didn't make it. Her resume is jam packed full and she knows it's time for retirement, she has served a good life of public service.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 06:41:56 PM »

I was just joshing around with ya GoTfan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies