Not news: "Trump supporters are racist." News: Now with scientific evidence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Not news: "Trump supporters are racist." News: Now with scientific evidence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Not news: "Trump supporters are racist." News: Now with scientific evidence  (Read 1771 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2017, 10:26:44 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »

Even if this "proves" anything, so what if they are?
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »

Anyone else notice that the white one has the words "foreclosure", and the black one appears to say "reclosure". Not saying this affected the experiment but I just randomly noticed that.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »

Doesn't justify making blanket statements.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »

Anyone else notice that the white one has the words "foreclosure", and the black one appears to say "reclosure". Not saying this affected the experiment but I just randomly noticed that.

The other flaw is that statistical significance is generally accepted at the 5% level. This means that if 30 out of 100 trump supporters were for housing assistance with the white dude, then 25 out of 100 were supportive with the black dude.

Do 5/100 people represent the whole? No, they do not.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »

There are conservatives believe that black people receive free college, free housing, free food etc. just for being black. There are seriously flawed views out there on race.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 01:05:25 AM »

If you really need to ask, no explanation on the planet will ever solve that mystery for you.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:11 AM »

Normal people realize that hating someone for something they can't change (skin color) is pretty assholeish.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:07 AM »

Nice study. I'll show this to my students.

For the record I have always maintained that racial attitudes and identity politics in general were far stronger explanations for Trump's win than "economic anxiety".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 05:54:44 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2017, 05:58:16 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

We already had this poll from last year showing that Trump supporters were the most racist and Bernie supporters were the least racist. But that doesn't mean all Trump supporters are racist.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 06:06:31 AM »

The other flaw is that statistical significance is generally accepted at the 5% level. This means that if 30 out of 100 trump supporters were for housing assistance with the white dude, then 25 out of 100 were supportive with the black dude.

what
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »

It's interesting that 1/3rd of Hillary voters and 1/4 of Sanders voters think blacks are more criminal and violent than whites.  Trump voters being half racist isn't that shocking, is it....but in a quarter of Sanders supporters thinking blacks are more rude?  That's weird right?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »

Roll Eyes
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »

Not surprised at all.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »

Hey Joe's alive
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »

It's interesting that 1/3rd of Hillary voters and 1/4 of Sanders voters think blacks are more criminal and violent than whites.  Trump voters being half racist isn't that shocking, is it....but in a quarter of Sanders supporters thinking blacks are more rude?  That's weird right?
No. White supremacy permeates every institution in American society. Yes, even "liberals" can be racist against blacks. Trump voters are just more overt and blatant.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »

Welcome back, Joe!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 04:56:13 PM »

Nice study. I'll show this to my students.

For the record I have always maintained that racial attitudes and identity politics in general were far stronger explanations for Trump's win than "economic anxiety".

This one's a good study for students as well:
https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »

We already had this poll from last year showing that Trump supporters were the most racist and Bernie supporters were the least racist. But that doesn't mean all Trump supporters are racist.

I'm actually think it's a more interesting question why racial attitudes among Trump voters aren't worse than they are. Given both his dog whistle and the overall direction of the GOP since the "Southern strategy" you would think an overwhelming majority would have visible racial prejudice.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »

Not that that survey isn't interesting, but the study posted here sought to determine subconscious racism, rather than a more straightforward "on a scale of 1-10, rate black people on their laziness" etc.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:24 AM »

When they say 5% level, what they mean is that the odds that the difference are explained by random variance is less than 5% (note that statistical significance does not mean that it is impossible that the difference is explained by pure chance, but rather that it is improbable). It is not to say that there is a 5% margin of error.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 12:18:26 AM »

Anyway, I notice from the study that people opposed to Trump were more likely to support the program when presented with the version with the black person (this is also in contrast with the ideal situation, wherein government programs are regarded in a purely race-blind fashion). This makes me wonder if these reactions on both sides are related to the politicization of race and the poor state of race relations in recent years. The study notes that support for Trump captures this far more effectively than partisanship or ideology and thereby dismisses the notion, though I would posit that it is a mistake to think of support for Trump as a dimension unlike partisanship or ideology; rather, it is likely better correlated with positions on certain political issues than either of those are.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »

Anyway, I notice from the study that people opposed to Trump were more likely to support the program when presented with the version with the black person (this is also in contrast with the ideal situation, wherein government programs are regarded in a purely race-blind fashion). This makes me wonder if these reactions on both sides are related to the politicization of race and the poor state of race relations in recent years. The study notes that support for Trump captures this far more effectively than partisanship or ideology and thereby dismisses the notion, though I would posit that it is a mistake to think of support for Trump as a dimension unlike partisanship or ideology; rather, it is likely better correlated with positions on certain political issues than either of those are.

While I see your point it's important to note that  the finding is that the more someone supports Trump the more supportive they are of the policy if it's associated with helping a white person rather than a black person. You can of course reformulate this single result as "the more someone opposes Trump the more supportive they are of the policy if it's associated with helping a black person rather than a white person"

There is no way from the study to distinguish between the explanation "people who support Trump dislike black people" versus "people who oppose Trump dislike white people" and so on. It's also not exactly implying that people support the policy in a racist way, since it's subconscious priming.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »

Wow! Besides Kasich voters, Democrats are far less racist than Republicans - Gee, it sure doesn't sound like the pollsters thereof had a bias.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies