Muslim cashier in England refuses to sell alcohol; opinion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:36:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Muslim cashier in England refuses to sell alcohol; opinion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should a muslim cashier in a supermarket be required to sell alcohol?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Muslim cashier in England refuses to sell alcohol; opinion?  (Read 1953 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
« edited: September 10, 2017, 11:28:51 PM by Helsinkian »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4325558/aldi-praised-for-allowing-muslim-checkout-worker-not-to-sell-alcohol-on-a-till-after-raising-concerns/

Following religious demands, will this cashier refuse to sell ham and bacon as well?

Compare this to Christian bakers not baking cakes to gay couples or a Christian clerk not giving marriage licenses to them.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »

Yes, he or she should be required to do so.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:47 PM »

If Aldi wants to make accommodations for him, that is there decision. However, they should be under no obligation to do so. And they need to ensure that if he is unwilling to sell alcohol, there is always another employee there who is willing to do so.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4325558/aldi-praised-for-allowing-muslim-checkout-worker-not-to-sell-alcohol-on-a-till-after-raising-concerns/

Following religious demands, will this cashier refuse to sell ham and bacon as well?

Compare this to Christian bakers not baking cakes to gay couples or a Christian clerk not giving marriage licenses to them.

Not really the same because the Christian baker owns his own business
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:11 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 11:41:15 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

If there's always a cashier on duty who will sell you alcohol, then it doesn't really matter. The last time I was at an Aldis, there was only one cashier, but I think they pressed a button for a 2nd one to come out.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:40:01 PM »

They should do their f[inks]ing job. My employer refuses to make "accommodations" for people who object to birth control medication or anything like that, if you get a request for it, you process it, the end. I'd do the exact same thing in a retail setting for alcohol.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 06:51:20 AM »

They should do their f[inks]ing job. My employer refuses to make "accommodations" for people who object to birth control medication or anything like that, if you get a request for it, you process it, the end. I'd do the exact same thing in a retail setting for alcohol.

What if it was a Trump hat that a customer sought to buy?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »

Massive FF! Refuse to participate to the deterioration of society! This is what a hero looks like.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »

Religious liberty is an absolute that can never be infringed on by an employer or the government.  Of course I support this guy- and there is no discussion to be had here- just like the baker cases.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »

Yes, he or she should be required to do so.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »

Religious liberty is an absolute that can never be infringed on by an employer or the government.  Of course I support this guy- and there is no discussion to be had here- just like the baker cases.

Religious liberty means that you can practice your religion, not that you can force others to do so or use it to infringe on the rights of others.
He doesn't have to drink it. This is just like our own ultra religious Haredi Jews who bar the rest of us from having very vital services like public transportation in Saturdays and civil marriage- religious people should stop thinking that their feelings are more important than those of the rest.
The cashier should sell whatever the store is selling or find work elsewhere.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »

If Aldi wants to make accommodations for him, that is there decision. However, they should be under no obligation to do so. And they need to ensure that if he is unwilling to sell alcohol, there is always another employee there who is willing to do so.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »

Also, it's not as if alcohol was legalized yesterday in England, or that Aldi just started selling it. So the employee should have known that Aldi sold alcohol, and if he was unwilling to handle alcohol as part of his job, he should've let the company know during the hiring process, which does not look like what happened here. That way, Aldi could decide how they wanted to go forward, including hiring him and accommodating his request, which they of course could, but have no duty to. Not disclosing this during the hiring process puts an unfair burden on the employer.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »

Yeah, no. As Santander said, Aldi has been selling alcohol since forever. This person should find another job. I wouldn't want to have to check whether the cashier in my line has problems with certain products. Where does it end? A vegan who does not want to sell meat and dairy?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »

The right to buy alcohol is simply the most sacred right any human could have, so this is quite disturbing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »

If they started selling alcohol AFTER he started working there he has an excellent argument.  If they've always done it, and he, just out of the blue, had a problem with it....well then that's HIS problem and if it's that big of a deal for him, he should find a more appropriate line of work.

Of course if it's HIS business he can not sell whatever the hell he wants.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »

If they started selling alcohol AFTER he started working there he has an excellent argument.  If they've always done it, and he, just out of the blue, had a problem with it....well then that's HIS problem and if it's that big of a deal for him, he should find a more appropriate line of work.

Of course if it's HIS business he can not sell whatever the hell he wants.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »

If you are not willing to do the job you were hired to do, you should quit. There are plenty of professions out there that do not involve selling alcohol. Santander is absolutely correct here.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »

No. He shouldn't be forced to.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

Nobody forces him to work at Aldi.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »

Alcohol is disgusting.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »

He should be required. He isn't being forced to spend his time making alcohol, he isn't being forced to buy alcohol, all he has to do is pick the bottle up, scan it and then put it back down. Not difficult. If I were a manager and one of the cashiers had this problem, I would just get them to work elsewhere in the shop where they don't need to touch alcohol.

I reject the comparison to the Christian clerk not giving marriage licenses to gays and the gay cakes controversy because the clerk is a public servant and has to implement the law of the land whether they agree with it or not and a private business shouldn't have to make a gay cake if it doesn't want to.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »

Religious liberty means that you can practice your religion, not that you can force others to do so or use it to infringe on the rights of others.
He doesn't have to drink it. This is just like our own ultra religious Haredi Jews who bar the rest of us from having very vital services like public transportation in Saturdays and civil marriage- religious people should stop thinking that their feelings are more important than those of the rest.

No- if someone doesn't want to serve you, find another cashier, baker, etc.  Requirements like this essentially ban religious people from having certain types of jobs.  I know proponents of secularism wish that religion would just die out, but you have to respect the rights of Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. to have any job and still follow their faith.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 05:41:32 PM »

No- if someone doesn't want to serve you, find another cashier, baker, etc.  Requirements like this essentially ban religious people from having certain types of jobs.  I know proponents of secularism wish that religion would just die out, but you have to respect the rights of Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. to have any job and still follow their faith.

The baker is a different case, and a different argument. Here, it's fairly simple and straightforward- they don't have to drink that alcohol, and they're not even selling it because the cash doesn't go to them. The salary they recieve, they would've recieved regardless of selling said alcohol.
They're just doing what their job requires them to do, and that is sell Aldi's products. If they don't want to sell Aldi's products they shouldn't take the job, just like I will not go work as a toilet cleaner because I don't want to clean toilets.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies