Does Prince deserve a statue more than Christopher Columbus?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does Prince deserve a statue more than Christopher Columbus?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Does Prince deserve a statue more than Christopher Columbus?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Does Prince deserve a statue more than Christopher Columbus?  (Read 1430 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »

I mean, if you count getting really lost because you're a terrible navigator and accidentally bumping into the West Indies as "discovering a continent," then sure.
Not to mention, how can you discover a place that already has people there?
Granted. On the whole, I think the title "discoverer of the Americas" has less to do with being the literal first human being to set foot on the North American plate and more with the significance of Europe's entrance into the hemisphere, undeniable one of the major turning points in world history. As I say, though, Columbus shouldn't get credit for any of that, because he never realized what he had done and only stumbled his way to historical notoriety because he was bad at math.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »

I mean, if you count getting really lost because you're a terrible navigator and accidentally bumping into the West Indies as "discovering a continent," then sure.
Not to mention, how can you discover a place that already has people there?
Granted. On the whole, I think the title "discoverer of the Americas" has less to do with being the literal first human being to set foot on the North American plate and more with the significance of Europe's entrance into the hemisphere, undeniable one of the major turning points in world history. As I say, though, Columbus shouldn't get credit for any of that, because he never realized what he had done and only stumbled his way to historical notoriety because he was bad at math.

Even though the Vikings were in continental North America 500 years before, and almost certainly Bretish and Basque fisherman had been fishing in the Grand Banks off Newfoundland for decades?

Columbus was not especially important. Cabot would have landed in Newfoundland (which probably was already visited by European fisherman in the recent years) regardless of Columbus.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »

Even though the Vikings were in continental North America 500 years before, and almost certainly Bretish and Basque fisherman had been fishing in the Grand Banks off Newfoundland for decades?

Columbus was not especially important. Cabot would have landed in Newfoundland (which probably was already visited by European fisherman in the recent years) regardless of Columbus.
Right, that's more or less exactly what I've been arguing:

As I say, though, Columbus shouldn't get credit for any of that. . .

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »

Unlike Columbus, Prince actually changed the world for the better.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

Let's think about it

The best and most influential musician and songwriter of the 80s > a genocidal moron who thought he was in India and was, like, the third person to make it to America.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »

This is the first BRTD poll that I was forced to not vote against his preference.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies