Do you remember 9/11?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember 9/11?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: --
Yes, and I witnessed it firsthand

Yes

No, but I was alive

No, I wasn't born yet.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Do you remember 9/11?  (Read 1903 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »

Yes.  I was in 8th-grade and was getting ready for school that morning when the TV showed the first tower just after the plane had crashed into it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »

Yep, Dubya spent the day in my work center.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

Yes, I was in 2nd grade. It was the day of my grandfather's funeral - I remember watching the news in the morning but not really understanding what was going on. We had an eight-hour drive that afternoon so I didn't see any of the media coverage afterwards. I didn't understand the seriousness of it until days later.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 07:11:52 PM »

Yes, I was in elementary school. Teachers were whispering to one another and I didn't know what was going on. Then an announcement was made that some kids would go home (they had notified parents that they could pull their kids from school). At lunch, the older kids were telling us that there was a plane that was going to hit our school.

I didn't truly know what had happened until I went home. I watched CNN with my parents all evening on that day and constantly for many days following.

As horrible as it may sound, that day was one of two (the other being the 2000 election) that really launched my interest in politics and government. I wanted to know why it happened and what we could do as a country to respond.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »

For some reason school was let out early, and when I got home I saw something on the TV that looked out of an action movie, but it was on the news. Mom quickly demanded that I go straight to my room, and I did.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »

Yep, Dubya spent the day in my work center.

Did you see him?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »

So my Mom drove me to preschool that day and we were listening to some sing-along casette (I was 4 at the time), and when we pulled up to the school, another man walked out of the car (because he saw us singing along and seemingly oblivious to what had happened) and told my Mom the news that the planes had hit the towers.  I remember being pretty scared that day.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »

No, but several of my co-workers did...one of which was personally thanked and had his hand shook by him.  I did touch the phone he used that we had to box up and ship to some museum though...and joked about swapping it out with another one.

(we didn't obviously, what would be the point?...it's not like we could sell it on Ebay or something)
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »

Yes, I remember it well. I was 9 years old at the time. When I first heard about it, I was already home from school (due to the time difference between New York and Germany). Almost every German TV channel was reporting on it for hours. The next day, everyone in my class had been talking about it before the first lesson started: "Did you see the planes crashing into those buildings on TV, too?" I did realize that it was a tragic event, in which many people died. However, as I knew little about politics or history at that age, I could not grasp the political or historical dimension of that event.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

Yes, I was in the first grade at the time.

My school (or maybe just my teacher) didn't think we were old enough to watch the attacks on live television and they didn't tell us about it during the school day, but I remember my mom telling me about it when she picked me up from school that day.  The only other distinct memory I have from that day is going to get gas (also with my mom) and the line stretching back out onto the highway.

So, while I do have some memories associated with 9/11 I tend to hold short of saying that I remember because I experienced the event residually through my parents and older family.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »

Yes, I was almost ten. I remember the news after I came home from school (it was afternoon in Germany). I also remember the next day, when our teacher talked to my classmates and me about the attack and my parents avoiding larger crowd's for a while or events such as the Stuttgarter Volksfest.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:51 PM »

You're not the youngest.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »

Yes; I was in college.

What do you mean by "witnessed firsthand?"  As in, was in NY at the time, or just remember seeing it happen on TV?  I'm from NY, but I was away at college at the time, so I was watching it on TV but had lots of friends/relatives back in the city and so I was trying to keep updated on what was going on with them.

Anyone else college aged or older when it happened?  Gosh this thread is making me feel old....
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »

Anyway I was 6, so yes.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »

Anyone else college aged or older when it happened?  Gosh this thread is making me feel old....

I was in the working world in 2001, and I had a seminar scheduled for 9:00CDT that day.

It was a very disjointed day.  I was at work, when I overheard my boss mention that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  While I was driving to the seminar, I was listening to NPR; they were getting the Pentagon's reaction to the events in NYC, and in the middle of the report the reporter mentioned that the fire alarms had just started going off.  The seminar went on as scheduled, but it was interrupted in the middle when one of the secretaries interrupted the talk to let us know that one of the towers had fallen.  Finally, the seminar was just cancelled, and I found a TV in their break room, where I saw the first images of the day, which looked like a war zone in Lower Manhattan.

Afterwards, I spent about a day in shock, like everyone else, but then I think my reaction started to diverge from the norm.  Most people were trying to cope with the idea that someone could hate them just for being part of a particular group (i.e., Americans), but as a gay man I had already long ago come to terms with the idea.  It took me a long time to realize that I had missed something fundamental in the experience of the rest of the population.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »

Of course.

It was the day before I started high school. Obviously, it wasn't a regular school start (not even here in Austria).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »

Yes; I was in college.

What do you mean by "witnessed firsthand?"  As in, was in NY at the time, or just remember seeing it happen on TV?  I'm from NY, but I was away at college at the time, so I was watching it on TV but had lots of friends/relatives back in the city and so I was trying to keep updated on what was going on with them.

I was thinking "witnessed firsthand" meant you were in the New York/DC/Shanksville area that day, and saw the destruction yourself, not just seeing it on TV.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »

Like it was yesterday -I saw on real time the planes hitting the World Trade Center towers on television, and I won't soon forget seeing that pillar of smoke where that plane hit the Pentagon not far from where I was interning when we all stepped outside to return home.  It's strange such a terrible event happened on a day so beautiful. 
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »

Yes; I was in college.

Yes, I was 35.

I had just celebrated my birthday Sunday; my Dad and I went to an old car show in Livonia, MI.  Monday evening I taught a class at a local community college. It was a 4 hour class and I was exhausted afterward.

Tuesday morning I got up around 3 AM, looked East out my window (I was living in Oakland County, MI at the time), and saw, from the bottom up, Saturn, the Moon (a bit less than half), and Jupiter. That morning on my way to work, the Britney Spears song "Hit Me Baby One More Time" was playing on the radio.

At 8:25 that morning, I went downstairs to the cafeteria and got an oatmeal raisin cookie, and brought it upstairs. A little while later, a coworker, D., tapped on my cubicle and informed me that planes had hit the World Trade Center. I remained focused on my work, however, as news came in that various offices were closed, the Ambassador Bridge (connecting Detroit and Windsor) was closed (which affected a lot of our employees), and I started to get the sense that something big happened.

At 3 PM I got into my car and, rather than go home, I headed for the Red Cross to give blood. It was only then that I learned it was hijacked passenger planes that had hit the buildings. That's right, I thought it was enemy places until then. The idea of using hijacked passenger planes as weapons had, of course, not occurred to me or anyone I knew.

On my way to the Red Cross, my car began to overheat, and I had to pull over. I waited a while for help (it was the water pump). I recall seeing a 1970s model car in the parking lot where I was waiting, on Woodward Avenue in Bloomfield Hills. I remember thinking how our world was being changed forever, while everyone just went about their business.

The next several days, of course, it was all anyone talked about.

As you can see, I remember it like it was yesterday.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

Yes. My sister watched it unfold in front of her eyes from her office in the Financial District, while an office mate and her tried pulling a sobbing puddle of their co-worker off the floor when the first tower, where her fiance worked, collapsed (he called soon afterwards to say he got out all right).

My long term girlfriend was working in the city government office in Alexandria.

My father regularly flew USAir flights out of Pittsburgh for business. It took some time before I learned the plane that crashed in Western PA wasn't coming in or out of Pittsburgh.

I was working in a government office skyscraper, albeit in Ohio.

The stress was.....quite bad. And then I heard 3000 dead.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »

Of course. I'll never forget where I was.

Same for me:
I was 7 years old, I had just started 2nd grade, and I remember I was in class. We had to do some writing exercise while my teacher was listening to the radio. So on the radio we heard about the attack around 8:45. My teacher turned on the TV and I saw the second plane crash live. My mom came to pick up my brother (he was about to turn six so he doesn't remember anything) and I around 11 AM.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »

Yep, I was nine. It was grade four.

To compare, I was 24 and just finishing my masters when Donald Trump won the presidency.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

Yes. My sister watched it unfold in front of her eyes from her office in the Financial District, while an office mate and her tried pulling a sobbing puddle of their co-worker off the floor when the first tower, where her fiance worked, collapsed (he called soon afterwards to say he got out all right).

My long term girlfriend was working in the city government office in Alexandria.

My father regularly flew USAir flights out of Pittsburgh for business. It took some time before I learned the plane that crashed in Western PA wasn't coming in or out of Pittsburgh.

Though I was alive and have vivid memories of 9/11 myself, it's hard to watch the footage and know that only (as awful as it was) 3,000 people died. In the hours after the attack I remember people thinking tens of thousands were dead.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »

Though I was alive and have vivid memories of 9/11 myself, it's hard to watch the footage and know that only (as awful as it was) 3,000 people died. In the hours after the attack I remember people thinking tens of thousands were dead.

It wasn't just the first few hours.  Even the next day, weren't people estimating that it was something like 6000?  IIRC, it took weeks before the best estimate of the number of fatalities went as low as 3000.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies