Trump approval rating trend if he becomes Mr. Bipartisan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:13:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval rating trend if he becomes Mr. Bipartisan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump approval rating trend if he becomes Mr. Bipartisan?  (Read 1486 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »

So, it appears at least superficially that trump wants to be seen as working with dems on key issues like tax, infrastrucure, and, if today's reports are true, ACA.

If he actually follows through with some of this stuff, would it help stabilize his cruddy national image?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »

Bad. He'll just piss off his base. He won't attract any new supporters.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:52:46 PM »

I'll feel better, but it just proves my point that it's Democrats who should control Congress.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »

The reasoning behind Trump's disapproval numbers are more character-based and not policy-based. Him working with Democrats here and there does nothing to alleviate those issues, but at the same time also pisses off Republicans that still approve of him. I'm not sure how he improves his numbers with this if that is the case.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »

Trump needs to pull a tight balancing act in keeping his base and retaining just enough independents.  too much bipartisanship will hurt his numbers with his base, but a little bit would help him with independents who just want to see competent leadership and a functioning government. democrats are almost completely irrelevant because they hate trump and probably wouldn't approve of him even if he became a bleeding heart liberal; much less vote for him in 2020. just my 2 cents
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »

My opinion of him would go up if he got through a deal that legislatively protected the Dreamers, depending on the deal. That's better than an executive order.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »

I presume a bunch of people would go from "strong disapproval" to just regular "disapproval".
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »

It's going to take a lot for him to get my confidence. He'd have to concede that the Travel Ban is unconstitutional, pass a bipartisan tax reform bill, save DACA, pass a bipartisan ObamaCare fix, and defund Planned Parenthood before I'd be willing to consider approving of him.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »

Bad. He'll just piss off his base. He won't attract any new supporters.
bilaps
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

The reasoning behind Trump's disapproval numbers are more character-based and not policy-based. Him working with Democrats here and there does nothing to alleviate those issues, but at the same time also pisses off Republicans that still approve of him. I'm not sure how he improves his numbers with this if that is the case.

I agree with this. He will probably not lose too many supporters on the right because like with the crowd which hate him, people who love him, I think love him more personaly than on the issues. Having said that, immigration was top issue for many of them, so it could be tricky. I really can't see bringing people who voted for Clinton to vote for him.

Better outcome for Trump would have been that he did some major thing like the wall, or taxes, or infrastructure and clinge to his base like he did and hope that most of people who are independent and voted for him would vote for him again because of better economy. But he couldn't get anything done with Republicans so he doesn't have many options, and republicans divide isn't going nowhere. Republican are already broken party, only thing common for people like Meadows and Ryan and Paul and McCain is the R behind their names in an interview. So, it's tricky.

On the other hand if Trump pays attention to gallup ratings he's an idiot, so I guess yes. Because his approval doesn't mean anything now, and his likebility wasn't better on the election day in 2016. Also they are working with adults, also it's a national poll etc. Polls suck.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:56:51 PM »

I could see it bumping him up a little, getting him back into the low 40's on the RCP average. Although it could also help the Democrats in the midterm.

But really I think people are exaggerating this. Aside from DACA (which is far from a done deal) and the debt ceiling (which is perfectly capable of being disrupted by Republicans) he hasn't done much that's "bipartisan" and I wouldn't expect much beyond possibly those two things.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:45:05 PM »

It might take some of the energy out of the midterm backlash (i.e. suppress Democratic turnout a bit), but it would have virtually no impact on his approval rating.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »

It's going to take a lot for him to get my confidence. He'd have to concede that the Travel Ban is unconstitutional, pass a bipartisan tax reform bill, save DACA, pass a bipartisan ObamaCare fix, and defund Planned Parenthood before I'd be willing to consider approving of him.
Nobody cares what Wulfric thinks, nobody but Wulfric.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »

Nobody cares what Wulfric thinks, nobody but Wulfric.
Nobody cares what Classic Conservative thinks, nobody but Classic Conservative.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »

So far I've seen a bigger backlash from right wingers then support from indies and dems
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 02:47:56 AM »

If he actually stuck with it, inevitably upwards. Mind you I have zero faith in Trump sticking with anything until the next shiny object comes along.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:34:04 AM »

I prefer to not make predictions, especially predictions about the future, but I do make this one prediction:

Trump approval rating: 0%

Trump deports the Kardashians

Trump approval rating: 100%
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »

I would still think he's a piece of trash but he can at least be a useful idiot to get important things past his idiocy.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »

Strategically it's an awful move as he needs congressional Republicans lockstep behind him if impeachment happens.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies