NYT (op-ed): Trump Says Jump. His Supporters Ask, How High?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:04:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT (op-ed): Trump Says Jump. His Supporters Ask, How High?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT (op-ed): Trump Says Jump. His Supporters Ask, How High?  (Read 776 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/opinion/trump-republicans.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »

Of course, because his supporters are all idiots and sheep who would literally follow him to their graves.  He has but the ask and they'd do it without even thinking about it.  It's a cult, there's no other word for it.

And these people are committed like no other group; they'll stick by him no matter what.  Take the Paris agreement.  They all derided it when he said the US would be leaving it, and now that he's waffling on it, so are they.  And they'll all be there voting for the moron again in 2020--because they're also all morons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »

yep, and everyone else would suddenly have a negative opinion of jumping.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »

I will say that his views on trade shaped mine, but beyond that, everything has been the same. And the previous "change" was mainly because I didn't know what to think about before.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »

I will say that his views on trade shaped mine, but beyond that, everything has been the same. And the previous "change" was mainly because I didn't know what to think about before.
yeah, the fact that so many GOPers could so quickly abandon free market principles in favor of protectionism and blatant corporate welfare because Trump said they were better is.....bothersome.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »

At this rate, I look forward to him changing his mind on the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and free trade agreements in general.  Smiley
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »

It's not hatred in free trade that I believe in. I just believe in taking a step back and thinking about the deals we sign. I still want free trade (as Trump does)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »

I don't think it's unique to Trump though.  If, say, Ted Cruz was elected president instead, then the same phenomenon would exist with him.  Whoever gets elected POTUS immediately becomes a major figure in the culture war, and people become invested in supporting (or opposing) him based on what tribe they're in.

That said, I wouldn't conclude from that fact that Trump's job approval #s can't drop any farther, because his supporters will back him no matter what.  "No matter what" hasn't really been tested, as there are many things that could happen that would impact people's lives that might turn them against him.  He's only been in office for so many months, and so only so many things to blame him for so far, but at some point we could potentially get "Trump's Katrina" or "Trump's Iraq War" that could turn more voters against him.  And of course it could also work the other way around if there's a rally around the flag moment.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »

Evangelicals only care that their policies are being supported. They will take it in whatever vessel they can.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »

Evangelicals only care that their policies are being supported. They will take it in whatever vessel they can.

Yet the vessel they currently support is about as anti-Christian as you can get.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies