Georgia Tech Student Activist shot dead by campus police (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:42:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia Tech Student Activist shot dead by campus police (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia Tech Student Activist shot dead by campus police  (Read 2457 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« on: September 17, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »

How is it at all relevant that he was an LGBT activist, aside from muh identity politics.  Is it believed the police were targeting a gay?

Whatever fits their narrative.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »

How is it at all relevant that he was an LGBT activist, aside from muh identity politics.  Is it believed the police were targeting a gay?

They weren't targeting anyone. They were responding to a call that he was carrying a gun. Turns out he was carrying a knife, and when they tried to get him to drop the weapon, he dared them to shoot him. They obliged.

That's no excuse to shoot him dead. They could've easily neutralized him and contained the situation without taking his life. This is simply excessive use of force.

And how do you propose they do that without being stabbed?

There's this amazing thing called the human body and there are many places on it where a person may be shot that'd inflict enough pain to neutralize them without inflicting a fatal wound. A competent, well-trained police officer would've been easily capable of making such a shot at that range without endangering himself either.

Please become a police officer. Just please do it. You'll be singing a different tune quickly.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »

Please become a police officer. Just please do it. You'll be singing a different tune quickly.

Oh puhhh-lease. Are you seriously saying they can't be expected to aim for the legs first? For as unrealistically anti-cop as you may think some lefties are, there are tons of righties that are just as obscenely and unrealistically pro-cop. I dunno if you're one of them, but your comment may suggest it.

If that is what cops were trained to do, they would get along just fine. Just because someone has a knife doesn't mean your only option is to kill. Some of us just don't buy this "it's the only way" pro-cop propaganda.

Well shooting people in the legs can also be deadly.. Would you be raging at these cops if they shot someone in the arm or leg to try to "immobilize" them and they ended up dying?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »

How is it at all relevant that he was an LGBT activist, aside from muh identity politics.  Is it believed the police were targeting a gay?

They weren't targeting anyone. They were responding to a call that he was carrying a gun. Turns out he was carrying a knife, and when they tried to get him to drop the weapon, he dared them to shoot him. They obliged.

That's no excuse to shoot him dead. They could've easily neutralized him and contained the situation without taking his life. This is simply excessive use of force.

There's this amazing thing called the human body and there are many places on it where a person may be shot that'd inflict enough pain to neutralize them without inflicting a fatal wound. A competent, well-trained police officer would've been easily capable of making such a shot at that range without endangering himself either.

The only new tune I'd be singing is an even stronger support for the outlawing of private ownership of guns and more robust public funding for mental health care, anti-poverty programs, and improved education.

Oh yeah.. advance your politics as a police officer. Would work well lol
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »

The only new tune I'd be singing is an even stronger support for the outlawing of private ownership of guns and more robust public funding for mental health care, anti-poverty programs, and improved education.

Doesn't seem to particularly hurt the ones who harass and gun down low-income and minority Americans...

Oh yeah cops are out to kill the poor and minorities.. one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »

Doesn't seem to particularly hurt the ones who harass and gun down low-income and minority Americans...

Oh yeah cops are out to kill the poor and minorities.. one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I suppose you never bother to read your own posts then...

Considering the harassment, intimidation, profiling, and murder experienced disproportionately by low-income and minority Americans at the hands of our ill-trained, militarized, and institutionally racist and classist police forces, I will stand by what I said. The police officers who engage in such activities are, through their actions on the job, expressing and advancing their moral and political beliefs, which are bigoted.

1. Which posts?

2. Was the shooting in Minnesota of an Australian woman by a Somali-American officer an example of your so called "racist and classist police forces." What about the shooting of Philando Castile by another minority?

3. You just said if you were an officer you would be advancing your political beliefs.. Does that not make you a bigot?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »

Well shooting people in the legs can also be deadly.. Would you be raging at these cops if they shot someone in the arm or leg to try to "immobilize" them and they ended up dying?

Do you think I'm that unreasonable? I mean this doesn't really make sense. There is a difference between wanting cops to take on a different approach to dealing with people then faulting them at every turn no matter what.

No, I wouldn't be raging at them if they tried and failed. The risks of a gunshot wound are obvious. A lot of people are just calling for police officers to be retrained in numerous aspects, and for them to actually be held responsible in the worst abuses of authority. That isn't too much to ask. I don't really expect you to agree, though. I don't think you've ever had experiences with nor see police the same way the communities in question do. Although, interestingly enough, I probably haven't either, but I can see what they are talking about. It doesn't take rocket science to see what has been going on for decades generations now.

1. Which is what most people are doing.

2. Would you consider this one of the "worst abuses of authority?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies