Is $15 Minimum Wage or Single-payer Healthcare better for the Dems to focus on?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:15:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is $15 Minimum Wage or Single-payer Healthcare better for the Dems to focus on?
$15 Minimum Wage

Single-payer Healthcare

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Is $15 Minimum Wage or Single-payer Healthcare better for the Dems to focus on?  (Read 1149 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »

The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »

Single payer.  Even residents of Seattle are acknowledging the unintended side effects of raising the minimum wage.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »

Single payer.  Even residents of Seattle are acknowledging the unintended side effects of raising the minimum wage.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

Single payer
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »

Both are equally important.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »

Single Payer  but the minimum wage is also important
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »

Single payer for sure. Healthcare is a topic that concerns all Americans, whereas the $15 minimum wage only concerns a small segment of the workforce. That said, both are terrible ideas.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »

MINIMUM. WAGE. If only because it's much easier to make into something other than an all-or-nothing approach like single-payer. After all, you can modulate how long a timeframe the min wage increase happens over to decrease the inflationary effects. I used to be an opponent of a $15 national min wage until I had this realization
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »

MINIMUM. WAGE. If only because it's much easier to make into something other than an all-or-nothing approach like single-payer. After all, you can modulate how long a timeframe the min wage increase happens over to decrease the inflationary effects. I used to be an opponent of a $15 national min wage until I had this realization

I'm willing to compromise to 10-12$ on minimum wage but I'm not willing to settle for a public option. Easier to appeal to rurals with an SP/$12 than PO/$15, too, and potentially cost saving for the economy
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »

I'm willing to compromise to 10-12$ on minimum wage but I'm not willing to settle for a public option. Easier to appeal to rurals with an SP/$12 than PO/$15, too, and potentially cost saving for the economy

The only absolutely critical thing IMO is that once we reach the min wage we're aiming for, whether it be $12 or $15, we index it to inflation so that the purchasing power of the worker doesn't decline over time again.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »

this is a funny question
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »

Single Payer: $15 is needed in the major cities, and in NYC and SF, we should probably be fighting for $18, but $15 is too high a minimum wage for much of the country; rather than a specific dollar amount, we should be focusing on a living wage.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »

I really hate the whole $15 minimum wage thing. That's literally more than double what it is now. That doesn't work in a lot of areas. $10 minimum wage seems far more reasonable, and then $12 over time. The progressive bloodlust can be really annoying sometimes.

I would much prefer states rose minimum wage instead of the federal government mandating it anyways.

Also, multipayer may be good, but it's far better to start with a public option first. I would also like to see a state (probably California since a state like Vermont has issues with single payer) try single payer out first before we try it on the whole nation.

I don't think either of these issues should be focused on.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »

I really hate the whole $15 minimum wage thing. That's literally more than double what it is now. That doesn't work in a lot of areas. $10 minimum wage seems far more reasonable, and then $12 over time. The progressive bloodlust can be really annoying sometimes.

I would much prefer states rose minimum wage instead of the federal government mandating it anyways.

Also, multipayer may be good, but it's far better to start with a public option first. I would also like to see a state (probably California since a state like Vermont has issues with single payer) try single payer out first before we try it on the whole nation.

For the most part. I think the minimum wage should be 48% of the median full time calculated wage in that MSA for that year. That's like 10 for most but could be like 18 in big cities. I also think that everyone making less than the median full time income should be non-exempt...or about 38000 a year. Obama was going to raise it to 48000.

I think Obamacare should be shored up until the uninsured rate rises much above 10%. If its repealed, I think its time for a public option to start with to corral things. Really think SP should be implemented in NY and CA if Obamacare is cancelled. That could build momentum.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

You don't come to the table with the compromise. You start out at $15 minimum wage and single-payer, then compromise from there.
varesurgent
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »

So much this. Single-payer will do great until Republicans decide to mention the tens of trillions it will cost.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »

12$ minimum wage. $10ish would be a living wage, and $15 is high enough that it might actually have a negative impact.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »

There isn't anything more important than single-payer healthcare, imo, except possibly instituting a carbon tax and/or enshrining the Clean Power Plan into law. I also prefer a $12 min wage to a $15 one, though I'd favor $15 over $7.

The only absolutely critical thing IMO is that once we reach the min wage we're aiming for, whether it be $12 or $15, we index it to inflation so that the purchasing power of the worker doesn't decline over time again.

I completely agree. While we're at it we should index the gas tax, too.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »

$15 Minimum Wage and Medicare for All are both good selling points, but I think Medicare for All is one that can be more realistically accomplished.

$15 Minimum Wage is something that will be tough to work out the specifics of, and those specifics will ultimately disappoint a lot of initial fans, because it will probably be gradual, and require some states to have lower than $15 Minimum Wage thanks to cost of living. I think some states, like California, New York, even Texas, where the cost of living is high and/or rising rapidly, can handle that while states like Kansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, where wages are low and the cost of living is low, can't.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:31 PM »

Single payer.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 12:06:22 AM »

houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

Single payer, $15 polls horribly and doesn't move any swing voters at all (it actually hurts them among voters they need the most in industrial states).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

They shouldn't pursue either, unless the increase to $15 is phased in over 7+ years.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »

Thoughts now?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »

Single-payer. Hawking the minimum wage over and over doesn't change the fundamental problem with cost of living.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies