Democrats Like Both Clinton & Sanders, But Don’t Want Either To Seek Presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:16:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Democrats Like Both Clinton & Sanders, But Don’t Want Either To Seek Presidency
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats Like Both Clinton & Sanders, But Don’t Want Either To Seek Presidency  (Read 981 times)
Possiblymaybe
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2017, 05:28:48 PM »

Most Democrats still like both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, but few want to see either run for president again, a new HuffPost/YouGov survey finds.

The poll comes as both of the former Democratic presidential candidates have garnered headlines: Clinton for the promotion of her campaign book, What Happened, and Sanders for his most recent effort to introduce single-payer health insurance.

Seventy-one percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents hold a favorable view of Clinton, with 24 percent viewing her negatively. Sanders holds a similar favorability rating, with 73 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaners rating him positively, and slightly lower unfavorables, with 18 percent rating him negatively. (Among just Democrats, Clinton’s favorability rating is 76 percent, with Sanders at 71 percent.)

Democrats and Democratic leaners say by a 10-point margin, 49 percent to 39 percent, that Clinton was not the party’s best option for a nominee last year. Fourteen percent say she was mostly to blame for Trump’s victory, with 37 percent calling her somewhat at fault, 24 percent saying that she’s not very much at fault, and 16 percent saying that she’s not to blame at all.

Looking forward, just 20 percent want to see Clinton run for president again, but 47 percent say they’d like to see her remain active in politics in other ways, while 23 percent want her to retire. Thirty percent want to see Sanders take another stab at the presidency, with 46 percent preferring him to engage in other facets of politics, and 12 percent wishing he would retire.

Both the “Clinton wing” and “Sanders wing” of the party ― defined as those who view one of those politicians positively, but the other negatively ― are relatively small. A 54 percent majority of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents view both Clinton and Sanders favorably, according to the poll. Sixteen percent like Sanders but not Clinton, while 12 percent like Clinton, but not Sanders. Another 6 percent hold a negative view of both.

Americans as a whole give Clinton a negative rating, with 52 percent viewing her unfavorably to the 36 percent who rate her favorably. Sanders is seen more positively, with 42 percent of the American public viewing him favorably, and just 37 percent unfavorably.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59c16e6ce4b087fdf508ba6a
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:40:13 PM »

This will burst a lot of Bernie Bros' bubbles.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »

+5% favorability for Sanders? Way lower compared to any other recent polls. Undecideds are too high as well.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »

Sanders is nowhere near as popular as his supporters believe that he is. The supposed universal approval he has is a myth created by obsessed fans.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:59:13 PM »

Many Sanders supporters often confuse the fact that he is the most popular senator with him being popular nationally. Those favorability ratings are normally taken from his Vermont constituents, not the nation as a whole
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:39 PM »

Sanders is nowhere near as popular as his supporters believe that he is. The supposed universal approval he has is a myth created by obsessed fans.
Obsessed fans like the Hill? http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329404-poll-bernie-sanders-countrys-most-popular-active-politician

Don't pretend that you didn't see polls with Bernie and Biden basically having the same amount of popularity.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »

Obsessed fans like the Hill? http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329404-poll-bernie-sanders-countrys-most-popular-active-politician

Don't pretend that you didn't see polls with Bernie and Biden basically having the same amount of popularity.
Is it me or does it bother me that most of Bernie's surrogates aren't American citizens, or even residing in America? (Ala ProgressiveCanadian and Sanders violating the law by taking millions in foreign donations)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:52:18 PM »

Is it me or does it bother me that most of Bernie's surrogates aren't American citizens, or even residing in America? (Ala ProgressiveCanadian and Sanders violating the law by taking millions in foreign donations)
Not just you. It's odd for individuals with non-American interests to police our ideology and apply purity tests to political parties they have no direct interaction or knowledge of. I don't need them to tell me how to vote or how my tax dollars should be spent. Please and thank you.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:41:05 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:47 AM »

It's true I love Bernie but we need a Reagan to his Goldwater. The ideal 2020 would be a younger, charismatic, govenor (preferably) well like inside the party who can push Bernie's ideas. The problem is their is literally no one in the possible 2020 field like that. The closest is Warren and she really isn't that much younger then Bernie nor more charismatic then him.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 01:18:11 AM »

This will burst a lot of Bernie Bros' bubbles.

Not really...

A lot of us don't want him to seek the Presidency in 2020.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 01:37:37 AM »

It's true I love Bernie but we need a Reagan to his Goldwater. The ideal 2020 would be a younger, charismatic, govenor (preferably) well like inside the party who can push Bernie's ideas. The problem is their is literally no one in the possible 2020 field like that. The closest is Warren and she really isn't that much younger then Bernie nor more charismatic then him.

The main problem is that it's not enough to just run on the same policies. You couldn't give Bernie's platform to say, Andrew Cuomo, and have it have the same wide-ranging popularity. Sanders' popularity mostly stems from his authenticity: He doesn't wait until it's politically convenient to hop on good ideas, he doesn't need to receive thousands of calls from angry constituency to be on the right side of an issue.

Jeremy Corbyn, UK's current Labor leader, has a similar popularity. I (and other leftists I know and on Twitter) have poured over his political history looking for SOME reason to dislike him, and I couldn't. His moral compass always points in the right direction.

There are very few, if any, such characters in mainstream politics who could take up the Sanders mantle and not make it seem like an obvious pander.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 02:41:23 AM »

Yeah dude, I'm the obsessive weirdo for making the radical statement "Most politicians are bad"
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »

Yeah dude, I'm the obsessive weirdo for making the radical statement "Most politicians are bad"
No, you're the obsessive weirdo for pretending Bernie has never compromised his principles.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »

No, you're the obsessive weirdo for pretending Bernie has never compromised his principles.

Please present an example, something I would actually care about.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

The main problem is that it's not enough to just run on the same policies. You couldn't give Bernie's platform to say, Andrew Cuomo, and have it have the same wide-ranging popularity. Sanders' popularity mostly stems from his authenticity: He doesn't wait until it's politically convenient to hop on good ideas, he doesn't need to receive thousands of calls from angry constituency to be on the right side of an issue.

Jeremy Corbyn, UK's current Labor leader, has a similar popularity. I (and other leftists I know and on Twitter) have poured over his political history looking for SOME reason to dislike him, and I couldn't. His moral compass always points in the right direction.

There are very few, if any, such characters in mainstream politics who could take up the Sanders mantle and not make it seem like an obvious pander.

Sanders didn't support gay marriage til 2009.

Sanders supported the Gulf War to help him get elected in 1990.

He has supported every bombing of Iran since 1992 and supported the sanctions.

While chairman of the Senate VA committee he had a huge scandal where he allowed many veterans to die, and instead of changing he claimed it was a Koch brothers conspiracy.

During the early part of his campaign he was saying similar stuff to Trump in terms of illegal immigration, but once those 2 terrorists took the stage from him in Seattle he became a hardcore SJW.

He supported the war on drugs in the 90s. His opponent for the 1990 House seat was a black woman who was against the war on drugs and Sanders would say she's wrong about it.

He supported the death penalty and mass incarceration in the 1990s and only became against them once it became popular in the progressive movement.

He claims to be against "man-made" climate change but always flew in private planes for example.

He supports drone strikes.

etc. etc.

I could go on and on about this evil (and Sanders is evil).
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »

Sanders didn't support gay marriage til 2009.

Sanders supported the Gulf War to help him get elected in 1990.

He has supported every bombing of Iran since 1992 and supported the sanctions.

While chairman of the Senate VA committee he had a huge scandal where he allowed many veterans to die, and instead of changing he claimed it was a Koch brothers conspiracy.

During the early part of his campaign he was saying similar stuff to Trump in terms of illegal immigration, but once those 2 terrorists took the stage from him in Seattle he became a hardcore SJW.

He supported the war on drugs in the 90s. His opponent for the 1990 House seat was a black woman who was against the war on drugs and Sanders would say she's wrong about it.

He supported the death penalty and mass incarceration in the 1990s and only became against them once it became popular in the progressive movement.

He claims to be against "man-made" climate change but always flew in private planes for example.

He supports drone strikes.

etc. etc.

I could go on and on about this evil (and Sanders is evil).

I don't understand why you seem to have so much trouble understanding this, but one can be an activist in the fight against climate change and still fly as a means of transportation. People are against the UNNECESSARY use of fossil fuels. Flying in a private jet is necessary when running a national campaign for president. How else is one supposed to travel multiple times in a day to multiple different states? Flying coach wouldn't work with all the time wasted at each airport. So unless you have an alternate solution, the point you're trying to make is pretty dumb....
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »

Bruh...English...do you speak it?
"You made a mistake with grammar, therefore your entire statement is wrong!"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies