Joint Space Mission Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:08:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Joint Space Mission Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joint Space Mission Bill  (Read 1650 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2005, 12:06:16 PM »

Joint Space Mission Bill

1.  The Republic of Atlasia authorizes the president to appoint dipolmats to the European Union, the Russian Federation, and the People's Republic of China to discuss the possibility of a new joint space program for the purpose of returning to the moon and building a lunar base.

2.  The President is authorized to appoint and send ambassadors to other countries interested in being a part of the space program of clause 1 at his discretion.

Sponsor: Sen. Harry
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:08:32 PM »

This bill is certainly a good idea generally, but not at this particular time. I have one reason: the deficit.

I urge the Senator to withdraw it, as well as the next bill (the Space Elevator Bill), in the interest of fiscal responsibility.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 02:25:38 PM »

I don't think this bill really does anything.  It says it authorizes the President to appoint diplomats, which already exist.  Also, there is already international cooperation for space travel.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

I don't think this bill really does anything.  It says it authorizes the President to appoint diplomats, which already exist.  Also, there is already international cooperation for space travel.

Agreed.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 04:17:42 PM »

Agreed.

The President could pursue space travel at any time, as he already has the power defined in this bill.  This is obviously just Harry trying to get his agenda for his campaign into action.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »

Proposed amendment:

"The bill shall be replaced with the following text:

Joint Space Mission Bill

1.  The Republic of Atlasia authorizes the president to appoint diplomats to the European Union, the Russian Federation, and the People's Republic of China to discuss the possibility of a new joint space program for the purpose of sending Harry on a one-way trip into outer space.

2.  The President is authorized to appoint and send ambassadors to other countries interested in being a part of the space program of clause 1 at his discretion.
"

Cheesy
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:06:23 AM »

This is obviously just Harry trying to get his agenda for his campaign into action.
What exactly is wrong with that?  Is there a rule of some sort that prohibits one from trying to get one's agenda into action?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 12:38:56 PM »

Agreed.

The President could pursue space travel at any time, as he already has the power defined in this bill.  This is obviously just Harry trying to get his agenda for his campaign into action.

That's a good thing, it always is when candidates actually try to get done what they said they would. At least give Harry credit for proposing something he talked about in his campaign, which candidates often don't do.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »

Agreed.

That's a good thing, it always is when candidates actually try to get done what they said they would. At least give Harry credit for proposing something he talked about in his campaign, which candidates often don't do.

He said he wanted to get something done with space travel, but this isn't doing anything.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 02:42:55 PM »

Given that I get the sense that most people are in agreement that this is essentially a pointless bill that does nothing, I motion to table this bill, unless someone can show me how this is accomplishing anything.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »

The question is on the motion to table the bill. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 02:51:58 PM »

Aye
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 02:52:06 PM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 03:35:40 PM »

Aye
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 03:47:21 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 04:36:38 PM »

Nay
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 05:07:53 PM »

Aye.

May I ask why?  I didn't motion to table this bill simply because I oppose it; I did so because it's basically been established that the powers authorized in this bill are already in place and that this bill accomplishes nothing.  I therefore feel that it would waste the Senate's time to wait for another day so we can vote it down.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »

Aye.

May I ask why?  I didn't motion to table this bill simply because I oppose it; I did so because it's basically been established that the powers authorized in this bill are already in place and that this bill accomplishes nothing.  I therefore feel that it would waste the Senate's time to wait for another day so we can vote it down.

If we passed it Seige might  be more likely to start to do things that would start a space agenda, that's why I voted nay. I feel if it isn't passed he won't do anything.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 05:23:03 PM »

There have voted:
Aye: 5
No: 1

The bill is therefore tabled.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »

Aye. I would have voted against it anyway due to workings with the Communist Chinese.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 04:03:19 PM »

Abstain. I'm not a big fan of the bill, but I want my amendment voted on! Cheesy
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 11:30:58 PM »

No!  Don't table it...it really matters...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies