Stoicism or Epicureanism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:02:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Stoicism or Epicureanism?
Stoicism

Epicureanism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Stoicism or Epicureanism?  (Read 2360 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »

Which is better?

Stoicism
(in short: to accept life and find happiness in all things)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Epicureanism:
(in short: to find tranquility through moderation, self-discipline, and simple-living in tune with nature/reason/compassion... rational and considerate hedonism)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »

For every religious person doubtlessly Epicureanism.
Small L
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »

I'm religious and I voted for stoicism. I find their metaphysical views more palatable.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »

I am, by nature, somewhat of a stoic.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 05:25:38 AM »

I'm religious and I voted for stoicism. I find their metaphysical views more palatable.
The basis of stoicism was not pagan pantheism (cf. HERDER, GOETHE), it was monism (cf. SPINOZA, HEGEL) - absolutely antireligious and antirational !!!
Small L
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »

The basis of stoicism was not pagan pantheism (cf. HERDER, GOETHE), it was monism (cf. SPINOZA, HEGEL) - absolutely antireligious and antirational !!!
Eh, I never said I liked monism, but I think I prefer it to the way atomists think about that thing they call 'void.'
Georg Ebner
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »

Eh, I never said I liked monism, but I think I prefer it to the way atomists think about that thing they call 'void.'
Atomism proclaims Your divinity indirectly by making values subjective.
But Monism makes that directly - what is far more disgusting.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 12:09:02 AM »

Also this thread is more about their life philosophies than their specific views on God.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »

Also this thread is more about their life philosophies than their specific views on God.
But all "practical" ethics derives from the "theoretical" basics.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »

How would you describe them for Stoicism and Epicureanism, then?
(and I wasn't talking about ethics, I was talking about worldviews and life goals)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »

Atomism proclaims Your divinity indirectly by making values subjective.
But Monism makes that directly - what is far more disgusting.

Please speak in complete sentences.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »

Stoicism. Their ethic, while a little strange is nowhere near as offensive as the Epicureans. It even has some noticeable virtue in it. Yes, the monism is also odd, but frankly from a theist view, pantheism is closer than atomism. Also, in modern America while Epicureanism is very much still alive and just as screwed up. If anything we could use a little more stoic mentality creeping into the cesspool of emotional whinging that is our current political discourse.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:33 PM »

How would you describe them for Stoicism and Epicureanism, then?
(and I wasn't talking about ethics, I was talking about worldviews and life goals)
Epicureanism = InHalation
Stoicism = ExHalation
Georg Ebner
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 12:02:18 AM »

Stoicism. Their ethic, while a little strange is nowhere near as offensive as the Epicureans. It even has some noticeable virtue in it. Yes, the monism is also odd, but frankly from a theist view, pantheism is closer than atomism. Also, in modern America while Epicureanism is very much still alive and just as screwed up. If anything we could use a little more stoic mentality creeping into the cesspool of emotional whinging that is our current political discourse.
Indeed, Stoicism doesn't fit to Your country: Stoicism:Epicureanism=NeoPlatonism:Aristotelism=Realism:Nominalism=SU:US
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 03:34:38 AM »

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 08:41:41 AM »

Do you think that the two philosophies are mutually exclusive? I would say that there could be quite a bit of overlap between the two?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »

In the same way Protestantism and Catholicism share a lot in common, but are still different.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 05:40:49 AM »

Epicrurianism is not hedonism, and the confusion between the two leads to the former getting a bad rep.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »

I would argue that it is hedonism that gets a bad rap as something only about sex/drugs/partying and not thinking.

How is epicureanism not hedonism?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 02:51:57 AM »

Hedonism has come to be defined by a base pursuit of short-term gratification. Epicureans would not have understood the hedonic in the modern sense, so I would say it mainly makes sense to describe Epicureanism as not being hedonist in that it is not what people understand hedonism to be today.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »

Yeah, I meant hedonism in the conventional understanding of the term. Epicurius preached the importance of purging suffering and pain, not just from one's own lived experience, but from the lives of others as well. To the Epicurians, simple pleasures were how one achieved peace of mind: they ate simple food, had a small circle of good friends and eschewed the rat race of politicking/glory-seeking/profiteering; their refusal to embrace the grotesque world of Roman politics is why a lot of Ancient writers thought they were deeply suspicious (well, that and the deism). Overindulgence leads to suffering, to yourself or others, so it should be avoided (although the average Romans thought both Stoics and Epicurians to be weirdo reprobates, they would probably both be far better and quieter neighbours than the more conventional upper class Romans)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2023, 07:39:51 PM »

Any thoughts for why Ancient Greek Philosophies, such as these, didn't persist in the same way that Taoism and Confucianism persisted in China?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2023, 03:01:29 PM »

Any thoughts for why Ancient Greek Philosophies, such as these, didn't persist in the same way that Taoism and Confucianism persisted in China?

Many would argue that Stoicism had great influence on early Christian writers, including Paul, and it was a foundation on this philosophy that gave a Jewish religious sect legs to stand on in the Hellenistic world.

Romans 12-15 has been noted as a great place to see the influence of Stoicism on Paul's theology.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies