Cambodia: Hun Sen growing more autocratic, opposition leader arrested
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Cambodia: Hun Sen growing more autocratic, opposition leader arrested
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cambodia: Hun Sen growing more autocratic, opposition leader arrested  (Read 863 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:22:56 PM »

Kem Sokha, of the right-wing liberal party CNRP, was arrested at his home recently. The CNRP had a very good local election in June, so it looks like the regime is flexing its muscles and cracking down on the press, activists etc. while panicking enough to promise minimum wage hikes and social spending. Might be interesting to monitor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »

Between this, the horrid genocide in Myanmar, and the military coup in Siam, I have to say that Indochina is doing well.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »

Between this, the horrid genocide in Myanmar, and the military coup in Siam, I have to say that Indochina is doing well.
This is odd considering five words before you used the right name for Myanmar. Thailand is known as "Thai" in the Thai language, so it's not like Siam is closer to the Thai people's pronounciation.

Bizarre.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »

This is odd considering five words before you used the right name for Myanmar. Thailand is known as "Thai" in the Thai language, so it's not like Siam is closer to the Thai people's pronounciation.

Bizarre.

I'm sorry - I read up on historical geography before I read up on modern geography. I still catch myself saying Burma sometimes.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:11:14 PM »

Bizarre.

I'm sorry - I read up on historical geography before I read up on modern geography. I still catch myself saying Burma sometimes.

Which is the proper name for the country. Myanmar is what the military regime renamed it to and its still not a proper democracy, so we shouldn't use their name.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »

Bizarre.

Which is the proper name for the country. Myanmar is what the military regime renamed it to and its still not a proper democracy, so we shouldn't use their name.

I myself been using "Burma".
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:47 AM »

CNRP has been forcibly dissolved by the top court. Half of its legislators have already fled the country.

Hun Sen will be unopposed in 2018.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »

Bizarre.

This is a complicated and touchy topic, and "Burma" is very much a colonial imposition/mispronunciation (and describes only the Bamar and not any other ethnic group in Burma/Myanmar), so there are arguments on both sides. The end of the junta has also significantly changed the dynamics of the issue, since the subsequent at least ostensibly democratic government led by the former opposition continues to call the country Myanmar.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies