Trump: "Melania really wanted to be with us" while she is standing right there
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:57:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: "Melania really wanted to be with us" while she is standing right there
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump: "Melania really wanted to be with us" while she is standing right there  (Read 3110 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »

There have been some deeply awkward moments between President Donald Trump and his wife Melania, and one of the most absurd examples might have slipped past you. At a visit to Fort Myers, Florida last week to survey the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, Trump sent his regards on behalf of his absent wife—while she was standing right next to him. "I just want to thank everybody, the first responders, on behalf of myself, our Vice President—Melania really wanted to be with us," Trump said, somehow forgetting that the Slovenian former model was standing directly to his left in a green shirt and white baseball cap. How many times did we watch the video of Melania appearing to swat Donald's hand away as they walked down the tarmac after arriving in Tel Aviv?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/e0f908cb-8000-33c0-bd2d-41a504719a52/ss_watch-donald-trump-literally.html
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:20:23 PM »

While Trump is well past the point where there's any practical difference between incompetence and malice, I've said for a long time that he's a dementia suffer in addition to his many other apparent mental illnesses.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »

Well, it was a valid statement.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »

I hate when people start picking on minor faux pas and slips of the tongue committed by Trump and then act like it's unique to him. Are you trying to say Obama never misspoke? Come on. "57 states," "inhalator," and "corpse man" spring to mind.

And if you're trying to make fun of Donald and Melania's marriage...I mean, do you really want to go there? Should we talk about Bill and Hillary?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:23 PM »

I hate when people start picking on minor faux pas and slips of the tongue committed by Trump and then act like it's unique to him. Are you trying to say Obama never misspoke? Come on. "57 states," "inhalator," and "corpse man" spring to mind.

And if you're trying to make fun of Donald and Melania's marriage...I mean, do you really want to go there? Should we talk about Bill and Hillary?

Difference: Obama wasn't a fycking idiot. Maybe you'd have a point if he thought he was in the 57th state or whatever (BTW, he wasn't even wrong: there are 57 contests in the Democratic primary including PR, VI, Guam, etc).

And why should we even care about Hillary? One is a President and one is a footnote in history. The presidential election is over, y'all, even though you guys have never been good at internalizing that whole "personal responsibility" thing. The good thing about not winning the presidential election is that we don't have anybody you can attack on a comparable level without y'all sounding like some

old man slipping into senility, losing control of his bowels in the street as people politely pretend not to notice
twenty42
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:13:34 PM »

Difference: Obama wasn't a fycking idiot. Maybe you'd have a point if he thought he was in the 57th state or whatever (BTW, he wasn't even wrong: there are 57 contests in the Democratic primary including PR, VI, Guam, etc).

And why should we even care about Hillary? One is a President and one is a footnote in history. The presidential election is over, y'all, even though you guys have never been good at internalizing that whole "personal responsibility" thing. The good thing about not winning the presidential election is that we don't have anybody you can attack on a comparable level without y'all sounding like some

old man slipping into senility, losing control of his bowels in the street as people politely pretend not to notice

Um, Bill Clinton was the president for eight years. 1993 to 2001, I believe. What I'm saying is if presidents' marriages are fair game, then Bill and Hillary merit some discussion.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »

Difference: Obama wasn't a fycking idiot ....

That's all you had to say. And the trumpists know it's true.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »

Um, Bill Clinton was the president for eight years. 1993 to 2001, I believe. What I'm saying is if presidents' marriages are fair game, then Bill and Hillary merit some discussion.

Right. So your response to any criticism surrounding the current President's mind and marital status is "then let's talk about old things that have no bearing on the country here and now, because they're just as valid!". Gotcha.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »

Right. So your response to any criticism surrounding the current President's mind and marital status is "then let's talk about old things that have no bearing on the country here and now, because they're just as valid!". Gotcha.

Jesus. Given all of the other horrible things he says and does on a daily basis, this slip-up hardly justifies calling his mental capacity into question. And unless a politician is married to a spy there is really no reason to comment on their marital status.

This is a non-story and this thread is bad. It's not that hard to find stories about Trump doing actually dumb and harmful things, and yet people are talking about this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 01:19:40 AM »

Oh, good. No thread on Atlas would be complete without the meandering, moralizing liberal wandering in, giving the Whataboutery Crew cover to continue yelling "BUT HILLARY".
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 07:13:03 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2017, 07:20:59 AM by Special K »

Bill and Hillary’s marriage was and still is scrutinized. Maybe you weren’t alive or old enough to remember the 90s (maybe you were and just didn’t pay attention), but their marriage was heavily scrutinized.  And the attacks on them were a lot more unjustified and petty than any such now against Trump and Melania.

Side note: marital problems happen. When it’s a marriage set in the public eye, they will be scrutinized to a degree, and even unfairly at times.  The difference between Bill and Donald (and Hillary and Donald) is that Bill, for all his personal faults (and there were many), was still a capable of making informed, moral, and sound decisions on behalf of the American people; Donald has proven incapable of doing so. Hillary, for all her personal faults (and there are many), and whether you want to admit it or not, is a patriot who’ll strive to do the right thing on the behalf of the American people, to the best of her ability (ie, she wouldn’t encourage a dangerous madman into nuclear annihilation, or put her own ego ahead of the good of the nation and the world—even if you like Donald you can’t honestly say the same about him).

Another difference is that Trump is the only president currently, and Melania the only First Lady. Hillary didn’t get elected.  And Bill hasn’t been in office for almost 17 years.  Why would you think that since Trump’s marriage is being scrutinized then we should also look back on Bill and Hillary?  Why them specifically, and not, say, Martin and Hannah? Or James and _____?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »

What on earth does this have to do with the Clintons? We're talking about Trump giving a speech in which he says "Melania really wanted to be with us" while she was literally standing right beside him. That requires more than mere stupidity. Could we talk about that perhaps?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »

Why are we talking about Hillary and Bill when the point of the thread was not about them at all?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »

Why are we talking about Hillary and Bill when the point of the thread was not about them at all?

The same reason the right diverts the conversation to them when another revelation about Trump's collusion with the Russians dominates the news cycle.  
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »

The same reason the right diverts the conversation to them when another revelation about Trump's collusion with the Russians dominates the news cycle.  

The FBI: “we are investigating a trail of evidence that Trump’s team collaborated with Russia to hack the 2016 election.”

Trump voters: “fake news! And what about Hillary’s emails? Lock her up!”

Trump: “grab me by the pussy!”

Trump voters: “Bill Clinton is a rapist! There is a child sex service operating beneath a pizza joint that has no basement! Hillary is a lesbian! Locker room talk!”

Trump could literally come out and admit to collusion and these people would be fine with it, so long as there isn’t a Clinton or any other Dem in the White House.  They would sell out the country if it meant keeping a Dem away from the presidency.  They have sacrificed their morals, judgment, and patriotism for the sake of the win.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »

He meant "Melania is happy to be here." You have to be pretty flexible to spin it into what the title suggests, but you'll still have to try harder.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »

Uh he was wrong. There's not 57 states my man
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »

Uh he was wrong. There's not 57 states my man

And did you ever for one moment question that an actual constitutional scholar like Obama didn't know that?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »

He meant "Melania is happy to be here." You have to be pretty flexible to spin it into what the title suggests, but you'll still have to try harder.

Stop the presses. Having watched the video, I think Sanchez is dead right here. In fact, Trump starts to say something immediately after words starting with she really, and then it was suddenly cut off.

Okay, he's an idiotic sexist pig with a trophy wife who he's undoubtedly cheated on with more coke whores then one can count. But this is a Bonafide unfair attack.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »

Eight years in office and you have to rely on the "57 states" comment because there's virtually nothing else to work with.

Compare to George W. Bush, whose verbal gaffes were numerous enough to fill themed page-a-day calendars.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »

Eight years in office and you have to rely on the "57 states" comment because there's virtually nothing else to work with.

Compare to George W. Bush, whose verbal gaffes were numerous enough to fill themed page-a-day calendars.

If only you were President, we would have had a field day!!
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »

Bill and Hillary’s marriage was and still is scrutinized. Maybe you weren’t alive or old enough to remember the 90s (maybe you were and just didn’t pay attention), but their marriage was heavily scrutinized.  And the attacks on them were a lot more unjustified and petty than any such now against Trump and Melania.

Side note: marital problems happen. When it’s a marriage set in the public eye, they will be scrutinized to a degree, and even unfairly at times.  The difference between Bill and Donald (and Hillary and Donald) is that Bill, for all his personal faults (and there were many), was still a capable of making informed, moral, and sound decisions on behalf of the American people; Donald has proven incapable of doing so. Hillary, for all her personal faults (and there are many), and whether you want to admit it or not, is a patriot who’ll strive to do the right thing on the behalf of the American people, to the best of her ability (ie, she wouldn’t encourage a dangerous madman into nuclear annihilation, or put her own ego ahead of the good of the nation and the world—even if you like Donald you can’t honestly say the same about him).

Another difference is that Trump is the only president currently, and Melania the only First Lady. Hillary didn’t get elected.  And Bill hasn’t been in office for almost 17 years.  Why would you think that since Trump’s marriage is being scrutinized then we should also look back on Bill and Hillary?  Why them specifically, and not, say, Martin and Hannah? Or James and _____?

I really have to laugh at this. You say that Hillary Clinton is a patriot who will strive to do the right thing? I don't believe that at all, and a great many voters didn't believe it last year, either. That is why Trump is in the White House now, not her. Moreover, the scrutiny about the Clinton marriage is in my view, justified, considering that they got together for political purposes only....
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »

I really have to laugh at this. You say that Hillary Clinton is a patriot who will strive to do the right thing? I don't believe that at all, and a great many voters didn't believe it last year, either. That is why Trump is in the White House now, not her. Moreover, the scrutiny about the Clinton marriage is in my view, justified, considering that they got together for political purposes only....

Yeah. I mean, just look at those ruthlessly polished young politicians:

You can see the cold calculation that went into Bill's Grizzly Adams appeal

I think it's telling how much deflection Trump supporters are putting up on this one.
Trump forgot his own wife
was standing next to him.

Although his politics remain awful, it's well past that. This is just one sign of it. The man is mentally ill. His supporters won't admit that, because they're cultists.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:27 PM »

I think it's telling how much deflection Trump supporters are putting up on this one.

Although his politics remain awful, it's well past that. This is just one sign of it. The man is mentally ill. His supporters won't admit that, because they're cultists.

I see you didn’t read Badger’s or Sanchez’s posts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

You're not very bright. You must surely know that though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies