Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:56:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem  (Read 18880 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »

If I were to guess what was on Colin Kaepernick's mind, this would be it.

Considering he changed his action from simply sitting to kneeling to present himself as still respecting the flag and the military, I'm going to guess that you have no idea what's on his mind. :)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »

The anthem shouldn't be played at any sporting event period. It's ridiculous that it even happens frankly.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

America is not Anti Muslim or Anti Arab
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let us reject this PC snowflake nonsense that some of our blue avatar friends are elucidating.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2017, 04:30:39 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

Arab Muslims were responsible for 9/11.  And many Arab Muslims in America, at a minimum, have a degree of sympathy for Islamic Jihadists.  Given the hostility these nations have toward Israel, why should it be shocking that American citizens have the attitudes some of them have toward Arab Muslims?  Should it be considered unreasonable that American citizens may have doubts as to whether or not Arab Muslims have the same loyalty to America, right or wrong, that they have?

I'll agree that there's false outrage.  But why shouldn't I question the loyalty to America someone who refuses to stand for the Anthem out of loyalty to their country of origin and a grudge against American citizens who support, say, Trump's immigration ban?  Is America YOUR country?  Or is it just where you live?  

That's a real important question because we are NOT a nation bound by "blood and soil" as most nations of the world are.  If we are a nation where significant blocs of its CITIZENS have divided loyalties, let alone a primary loyalty to another nation, ethnic group, religious sect, etc, than what becomes of our experiment in self-government?  How can America function as a nation when one group or another are preoccupied with its ethnic and racial grievances (however justified) to the point where their loyalty to America is conditional?  What one has a right to do or not do is an entirely different question than the question of what attitudes on the part of American citizens are necessary in order for our continuing experiment in self-government and individual liberty to be successful.  When I was young, I thought this unimportant; even authoritarian, but as history has unfolded, I recognize that for America to work, its citizens have to be committed to its success, even over the perceived interest of their own groups of which they consider themselves members of.  

Fuzzy bear, with all deference to your later post about your churches working with other Christian congregations various ethnicities and races, and the really good posts you made earlier today, is diatribe about Islam it's just plain ignorance and soft bigotry personified. As in you'll never throw a rock through mosque I'm sure, but you'll happily nod your head when you read news reports of them being rounded up for camps. Which is only a scintilla better

I don't wish folks rounded up for camps.  That part was, frankly, unfair.  I do support Trump's immigration policies.  That's for folks outside the US, and not for American citizens.

I'd ask you a serious question:  Does our form of government sustain itself?  Or does it require that our citizens, whatever their differences, be supportive of our nation, even when what our nation does is opposed by folks from the lands from which an American citizen may be descended from?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The above quote from Carl Schurz, a German immigrant who became Senator from Missouri.  It is a quote that is often quoted in part, but not in whole.  

My question is this:  Is Colin Kaepernick's country "the great American Republic"?  Or is it some corrupt, detestable, racist, sexist, homophobic state, worthy only of contempt?  As an American, I'm always willing to have my country set right by those whose country is the great American Republic.  I'm not willing to accept correction from those who loathe the Republic, and Kaepernick has not convinced me he is not in that category.  Nor, unfortunately, have a few folks posting here.  It's the difference between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Colin Kaepernick.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »

You mean aside from the atmosphere of Islamophobia and racism directed towards Arabs and those who appear to be Arab to ignorant people, the government's history of racial profiling of Arabs and Muslims, the spying on Muslim communities following 9/11, the government's recent ban on people from several predominantly Muslim countries (while ignoring that the perpetrators of 9/11 were majority Saudi (excluded from the ban list) and most American terrorist attacks were conducted by people born in Western countries), and the hysterical right-wing conspiracies that are believed by a significant number of Americans (such as around half of Republican voters believing Obama is a Muslim)?
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims.

Christians in the Islamic world face far more discrimination and violence than Muslims anywhere in the West.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

The anthem shouldn't be played at any sporting event period. It's ridiculous that it even happens frankly.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims.

Christians in the Islamic world face far more discrimination and violence than Muslims anywhere in the West.

And your point is? Are we supposed to judge our country by the way people in other countries behave and are treated?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »

You mean aside from the atmosphere of Islamophobia and racism directed towards Arabs and those who appear to be Arab to ignorant people, the government's history of racial profiling of Arabs and Muslims, the spying on Muslim communities following 9/11, the government's recent ban on people from several predominantly Muslim countries (while ignoring that the perpetrators of 9/11 were majority Saudi (excluded from the ban list) and most American terrorist attacks were conducted by people born in Western countries), and the hysterical right-wing conspiracies that are believed by a significant number of Americans (such as around half of Republican voters believing Obama is a Muslim)?

The fact is if you are an refugee or immigrant from the middle east you should not call America anti muslim as America gave you a better life.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »

I’m sure he doesn’t stand for the Saudi, Iraqi, Iranian, or any other MENA country’s anthem either.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

Poll after poll is showing that to not be true. Anti-Arabism and Islamophobia is sharply on the rise.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2017, 04:41:10 PM by jphp »

My question is this:  Is Colin Kaepernick's country "the great American Republic"?  Or is it some corrupt, detestable, racist, sexist, homophobic state, worthy only of contempt?  As an American, I'm always willing to have my country set right by those whose country is the great American Republic.  I'm not willing to accept correction from those who loathe the Republic, and Kaepernick has not convinced me he is not in that category.  Nor, unfortunately, have a few folks posting here.  It's the difference between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Colin Kaepernick.

I do not (nor does anyone else) need to prove my American patriotism to you. Many of these folks kneeling (and those of us supporting them) have said and shown time and again that they love this country. That you don't accept that is your own problem, not ours.

This country is great. But it also treats many of its citizens improperly, and that needs to be fixed.

(Edited grammar, oops.)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

The fact is if you are an refugee or immigrant from the middle east you should not call America anti muslim as America gave you a better life.

I have known Arab and Muslim refugees who fled the U.S after receiving vast amounts of threats, hatred and lack of jobs because of their background, most went to Canada or Europe.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »

Okay, I’m not a refugee or immigrant from the Middle East: America is anti-Muslim.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »

I (nor anyone else) needs to prove my American patriotism to you. Many of these folks kneeling (and those of us supporting them) have said and shown time and again that they love this country. That you don't accept that is your own problem, not ours.

This country is great. But it also treats many of its citizens improperly, and that needs to be fixed.

We're really the #1 when it comes to waving our patriotism in the face of everyone, why do we NEED to play the anthem at sporting events, high school, college and professional?

Why do we need to wave American flags everywhere? We're literally at brainwashing levels of patriotism.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »

And your point is? Are we supposed to judge our country by the way people in other countries behave and are treated?

My point is that Muslims are hypocrites for complaining about ''Islamophobia'' in the West. It doesn't even come close to how non-Muslims are treated in most countries where Muslims make up a majority. If they think the West is so ''oppressive'', they should move to the part of the world where they are the ones in charge.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »

Surely you are not opposed to playing national anthems during events like the World Cup or Olympics...
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »

My point is that Muslims are hypocrites for complaining about ''Islamophobia'' in the West. It doesn't even come close to how non-Muslims are treated in most countries where Muslims make up a majority. If they think the West is so ''oppressive'', they should move to the part of the world where they are the ones in charge.

This is whataboutism to the nth degree.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »

The fact is if you are an refugee or immigrant from the middle east you should not call America anti muslim as it was America who gave you a better life.

So, no matter how you're treated in this country, you should shut up and accept it? It's understandable to see why Muslims may feel this way. We've been bombing and invading majority Muslim countries for nearly two decades now, engaged in imperialistic actions there for decades, many leaders (such as the President) espouse Islamophobia, they've been systematically targeted by the legal system and law enforcement, refugees and other citizens from Muslim majority countries have been scapegoated and banned from the country, and are often subjected to bigotry, discrimination, and domestic terrorism (bombing of mosques). The American government is anti-Muslim, despite the fact that it allows Muslims residence and (for most) ability to immigrate here. America's attitude and policies towards Muslims (domestically and internationally) need to be radically changed.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »

Okay, I’m not a refugee or immigrant from the Middle East: America is anti-Muslim.

That is absolutely, 100% ridiculous.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »

Lol this has to be a joke right? I am not hypocritical lol, I don't  "Oppress" anyone. I literally could say the same about the west when countries claim to be for "everyone" and make laws and environments where certain ethnic groups and religions feel unwelcomed, face discrimination or what ever.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »

So, a Muslim such as TSA is a hypocrite because some Muslim that he never met, belongs to an ethnicity with which he has no relation, and lives thousands of miles away from him in a country he never visited engages in oppressive behaviors towards non-Muslim(s)? Is that what you're saying?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »

The response you will see today is just further evidence of the point I brought up on Saturday: had Trump never said anything, none of this would have happened, the fringe of the NFL would have done their thing, and life would have gone on. BUT because Trump is a moron, he's actually incited many of the more 'moderate' players and convinced them that the fringe was actually correct all along.

Its the same crap we pulled in the Middle East. Bin Laden and Al Qaeda rant about how the US is controlling muslim countries, overthrowing regimes, etc....no one cares, then they attack us and we play right into their hands to radicalize thousands of more fighters.

This is all in the context that Trump doesn't want to do much to improve the underlying friction causing these protests in the first place. So again, the best thing for him to do would have been ignore and dismiss and hope it goes away by itself, but that proved to be far too difficult for him.

To me the issue has now shifted from a "should" to a "can" thing. I liked the larger number of player kneeling today and it bleeding over into baseball because it shows that this is America and the president doesn't get to tell people when they have to stand up.

Really, all of this shows how weak Trump is and how little respect he commands. First about a couple people on every team were doing, after he says not to, everyone starts doing it. The formal powers of the office remain the same, but Trump has less informal power than any president in recent memory. Yet another health care failure this week only compounds the issue.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies