Best case scenario for democrats and republicans in 2020 electoral college
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:34:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Best case scenario for democrats and republicans in 2020 electoral college
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best case scenario for democrats and republicans in 2020 electoral college  (Read 3612 times)
super6646
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »

I didn't play with the margins to much (too lazy to bother), but these are the absolute ceilings that I can see for the Democrats and Republicans in 2020.

Best case scenario for democrats is 374 EC votes, and the best case scenario for republicans is 372 EC votes.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2017, 07:06:10 PM by Solid4096 »

Democrat: 217
Republican: 156
Battleground: 165

I was trying to be a bit pessimistic in this map, marking several states I feel Democrats are almost certainly going to win as battlegrounds while not doing the same with equivalent states I feel Republicans are almost certainly going to win.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »

For the Democrats:

375 EVs for the Democrats. If Trump is the Republican nominee Texas, Utah, and/or Montana could very narrowly flip to the Dems if there's a strong Kasich or McMullen like third party candidate in the race, but I think the country is too polarized for that now.

For the GOP:

348 for the GOP. If there's a strong Nader/Stein like third party candidate or the Dems nominate that bad of a candidate, Oregon and New Mexico could  flip to the GOP.

Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »

I didn't play with the margins to much (too lazy to bother), but these are the absolute ceilings that I can see for the Democrats and Republicans in 2020.

Best case scenario for democrats is 374 EC votes, and the best case scenario for republicans is 372 EC votes.

Trump will have no chance of winning CT, VA, OR, NV, CO, NM. Feel free to quote me on that. In other words, best case for him in 2020 would be all 2016 states plus NH and MN. 320 is his max.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »

For the Democrats:

375 EVs for the Democrats. If Trump is the Republican nominee Texas, Utah, and/or Montana could very narrowly flip to the Dems if there's a strong Kasich or McMullen like third party candidate in the race, but I think the country is too polarized for that now.

For the GOP:

348 for the GOP. If there's a strong Nader/Stein like third party candidate or the Dems nominate that bad of a candidate, Oregon and New Mexico could  flip to the GOP.

Pretty much this, though Oregon still wouldn't flip with a third party candidate.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »

For the Democrats:

For the GOP:

This
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »

I'd say that states I'm 99% certain or more of would be this.

For 90%,

and this would be my current best guess
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »

Best Republican scenario:

350 - 188

Best Democratic scenario:

375 - 163
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:01 PM »

I think the absolute (99.999...%) best case scenarios would be the expected results if the largest PV margin in history (26.2% in 1920) were applied to the 2016 results, which would be as follows:

D 537 - R 1 (only NE-3 stays R)

R 535 - D 3 (only DC stays D)
twenty42
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:40 AM »

I was trying to be a bit pessimistic in this map, marking several states I feel Democrats are almost certainly going to win as battlegrounds while not doing the same with equivalent states I feel Republicans are almost certainly going to win.

So Democrats have a better chance of winning IN, MO, or AK than Republicans have of winning WI which they just won?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 01:46:02 AM »

Best Republican scenario:

350 - 188

Best Democratic scenario:

375 - 163
This
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 03:13:09 AM »

For Democrats:

First off I don't get no one would give Missouri to the Dems in their best case map, it's do-able. I mean they have a Dem senator, its possible. Texas is the big prize obviously, Trump got just 52% of
the vote in 2016 and that was against the very dislikable Hillary and before Trump had a record he had to defend. So in BEST case scenario land, it falls... Also, Indiana rarely if ever goes Dem but Obama won it. So it can be done.

For Republicans if they have a different nominee:

For Republicans if Trump is nominee:

(I know most will point out Michigan and say "He just won it?" and I'll say: the margin was historically small and in the most fluke scenario. I think of Trumps Michigan win like Obamas Indiana win.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »

So Democrats have a better chance of winning IN, MO, or AK than Republicans have of winning WI which they just won?

That person may live in Wisconsin. I would substitute Michigan for Wisconsin because I see things in Michigan that suggest that Donald Trump has lost so much support that he could never win the state again. But I live in Michigan. Someone who lives in Pennsylvania might see Pennsylvania much the same way as I see Michigan.

Michigan Republicans are creating distance between themselves and President Trump. Trump banners have largely disappeared.

Trump winning Michigan in 2016 increasingly looks like a freak, much like Obama winning Indiana in 2008. But if Indiana reverted to its norm of voting Republican in Presidential elections, it did so because the economic meltdown, the credit crunch, and high prices for motor fuels that hit the critical RV business hard vanished under Obama, Trump is doing nothing for Michigan. That is even worse. 
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »

That person may live in Wisconsin.

Do you even look at user profile images?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »

Stop with Atlas Blue Delaware. It's not gonna happen.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 09:11:55 AM »

Stop with Atlas Blue Delaware. It's not gonna happen.

For once, you and i are in agreement.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

That person may live in Wisconsin.

Do you even look at user profile images?

Maybe he  knows Wisconsin better than Michigan?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2017, 04:49:47 PM by pbrower2a »

Disapproval:

60% or higher  (deep red)
57% to 59%
55% to 56%
50% to 54%
46% to 49%
43% to 45%
42% or less

Take 100, subtract the disapproval rating, add 4% to 6% to get the level of vote that President Trump would get, and you get roughly a 50-50 map. Thus for Pennsylvania one gets

100-55 = 45

before the binary vote for Trump goes between 49% and 51% for him in Pennsylvania. This makes Pennsylvania the tipping-point state.  
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2017, 06:31:47 PM by Moderate Democrat »

Disapproval:

60% or higher  (deep red)
57% to 59%
55% to 56%
50% to 54%
46% to 49%
43% to 45%
42% or less

Take 100, subtract the disapproval rating, add 4% to 6% to get the level of vote that President Trump would get, and you get roughly a 50-50 map. Thus for Pennsylvania one gets

100-55 = 45

before the binary vote for Trump goes between 49% and 51% for him in Pennsylvania. This makes Pennsylvania the tipping-point state.  
You need to stop that map. There's no way we're gonna win Kansas, Nebraska, South Carolina, Utah, and Texas in 2020. Even Georgia is a stretch.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »

The answer to this depends on whether you mean ABSOLUTE best case scenario, or realistic best case scenario.

In the absolute largest GOP landslide that I think is possible, the only Democratic states would be Hawaii, California, Maryland, Vermont, Massachusetts and DC (though it's not a state)...  Since Vermont is a small state, it could probably go GOP in such a massive landslide though.

In the absolute largest Democratic landslide that I think is possible, the only Republican states would be Wyoming, Idaho, Oklahoma, and Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District. I believe that states like West Virginia and Arkansas are much more elastic than states like Wyoming, so they would flip long before, say, Wyoming or Idaho.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

For Democrats:

Dem: 419
Trump: 119

From Trump....