Hugo Chavez vs. Charles Taylor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:33:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Hugo Chavez vs. Charles Taylor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: who's worse?
Chavez

Taylor

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Hugo Chavez vs. Charles Taylor  (Read 2871 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 02:48:45 PM »

Feed both to the lions. They need the food, after all, since unlike Opebo i generally don't feed them religious.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »

Rep. Charles Taylor of North Carolina is in no way as bad as Chavez. Wink

Still a scumbag though Wink
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »

Chavez could wreck this nation's economy by shutting off the oil.

That foreign madmen and dictators can pull the strings of our economy is nobody's fault but our own.

Columbia is a democracy.  It is insulting and ignorant to say that are a "despotic right-wing government".

I retract.  But it doesn't change the fact that our horrible track record of intervention makes it impossible to criticize anyone else's.  Furthermore, I don't see the people of Colombia begging for our help, and even furthermore, it should be the job of the world community and/or the Pan-American community, not the US alone, to provide that help.

I do question whether Pinochet was the proper choice of a leader for Chile

Why is it up to The United States of America alone to make the determination of who is and isn't the proper choice of a leader for Chile?  I agree that the people of Chile may have had their right to self-determination taken away, but any restoration should be accomplished by international, multilateral means, not by the US acting unilaterally!  What happens in unilateralism, invariably, is that the interests of the intervening government takes precedence over the interests of the people we are supposedly "helping."  Look at Iraq: whose interests are being served there?

I'm not arguing "isolationism."  I'm arguing multilateralism and internationalism.  You know, those ideals that used to be the centerpiece of Republican foreign policy?  If it is not a direct threat to US security, as in a foreign force being deployed against us, we should be acting through the community of nations, not alone.  Yes, it might have made sense in 1820, but not in 2005.

First of all, internationalism has been at the center of US foreign policy during only ONE Republican Presidency: George HW Bush.  All the otheres are all unilateralists of one stripe or another.

In my view, the interests of America and iraq and the region are being served by our presence there.  I'd like to know exactly what you're referring to when you imply otherwise.

If the US had not intervened in Chile, with the condition that country was in, it is nearly certain that the military would have overthrown Allende.  It happens all the time down there, and one major reason that we backed the Pinochet coup, and this is not talked about enough, is that we felt Allende would be overthrown regardless and we should at least help the process along and help make sure the least possible damage was done.  I choose not to feed foreigners to the wolves when it costs not one American life to help them.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »

A communist takeover of all Latin America is "no skin off our nose"?  Do you have any idea the economic havoc to be wrought by such a thing?

If we stop acting like stubborn pricks and continue to do business with the communists, very little.  If we get all high-and-mighty about closing off trade with any country just because we don't like the way they run their economy, then yes, there would be plenty of havoc.

As for our past interventions in Latin America, they've been successful far more often than they have been otherwise.  It's been a long time since we had an intervention that can't be rationally defended.  Panama '89, Haiti '94, Mexcio '94, Grenada '83.  Most of these things worked out very well.

Noriega was a criminal arrest, not a US-engineered change of government.  Haiti is still a toilet, and just recently transitioned from Despotism to Anarchy (to use the CivIII terms), so I don't really see what good that accomplished.  Mexico was a bailout, not a US-engineered change of government.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 03:43:03 PM »

A communist takeover of all Latin America is "no skin off our nose"?  Do you have any idea the economic havoc to be wrought by such a thing?

If we stop acting like stubborn pricks and continue to do business with the communists, very little.  If we get all high-and-mighty about closing off trade with any country just because we don't like the way they run their economy, then yes, there would be plenty of havoc.

As for our past interventions in Latin America, they've been successful far more often than they have been otherwise.  It's been a long time since we had an intervention that can't be rationally defended.  Panama '89, Haiti '94, Mexcio '94, Grenada '83.  Most of these things worked out very well.

Noriega was a criminal arrest, not a US-engineered change of government.  Haiti is still a toilet, and just recently transitioned from Despotism to Anarchy (to use the CivIII terms), so I don't really see what good that accomplished.  Mexico was a bailout, not a US-engineered change of government.

At some popint you have to make a moral judgement that you're not going to do business with a certain caste of people.  If we don't make these judgements, then America's security and dignity are finished.  Would you do commerce with Zimbabwe?  North Korea?  Apartheid South Africa?  Nazi Germany?  Who don't we do business with?  Is anything too much oppression, too much dishonor?

There are bad people in this world, America needs to be adult enough to call them what they are and treat them accordingly.

Call it what you will with Noriega.  There are a dozen other guys who've violated international law and could be nabbed and taken to the hague.  If calling something a criminal arrest is all that's required to get you to approve of an intervetnion, we can just call all of these things criminal arrests, because in nearly all cases a law has been broken, and Chavez has broken international laws and has been involved in the drug trade.

I'd have to disagree that removing a military despot who overturned a free election wasn't worthwhile.  If Aristide turned out to be a bad guy, that's just how life turns out sometimes.  Aren't you the one who, only a few posts ago, said we shouldn't make such judgements about elected leaders?  Aristide was an elected leader, and as of 1994 he hadn't done anything uncouth.  Why do you selectively judge some thrid world leaders and not others?

Ever hear of dollar diplomacy?  Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword.  American influence and intevrvention is often more than guns blazing, so calling a Mexico bailout an intervention isn't very unusual at all.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 04:14:14 PM »

I am not defending Chavez's actions in Colombia.  Simply stating that this is not a threat to the U.S.  It might be a threat to U.S. interests, but even a giant bloc of Communist regimes in Latin America poses no threat to the U.S.  It would be an enormous human tragedy in the region, but no skin off of our nose.

And America's track record of interventions in Latin America leaves us in no position whatsoever to criticize Chavez. 

And why should we be in Latin America to begin with?  As we're no longer the sole democracy in the world, and it's now logistically feasible for other democracies across the world to deploy forces anywhere, the Monroe Docrine no longer has much meaning.  The U.S. should not be playing the role of lone protector of democracy in the Western Hemisphere.  That is now the job of the world community.  AND, even if it were our job to protect democracy, we've completely botched that job up in recent decades, so it's not surprising that the people of Colombia aren't clamoring for our assistence.

Hugo Chavez is not a threat to the U.S.  He is a threat to humanity, just as Charles Taylor is.

Colombia is an ally - and yes, I do believe their citizenry likes the U.S. (YoMartin posted something on this last year IIRC) - so are you saying we should abandon an ally?

As for U.S. interests, unless we go autarkic and also refuse to allow U.S. citizens to go abroad we will have interests everywhere on the planet. In case you haven't noticed, we're very big and have, via allies, trading partners, and rogue states of concern, global connections.

As for the 'global community', gee, where to begin? We could take the matter before the UN Human Rights Commission...let's see, which paragon of human rights is in charge of it this year, Cuba, Iran, or Zimbabwe? Wait, let's ask for an intervention...by countries which have mostly expressed an interest in treating the FARC with the same or higher level of recognition as the legitimate Colombian government. Yeah, that'll go well. And I haven't even gotten to the 'let's see if we can re-enact the supercorrupt oil-for-food routine again' which a UN presence would lead to. The UN is untrustworthy, inefficient, corrupt, and screamingly anti-American and pro-autocracy.

Or perhaps the OAS is more your flavour? They have utterly refused to help Colombia and trot out the same bit about recognizing the FARC at the same level of legitimacy. They are also dominated by anti-American interests and have really refused to do anything about Venezuela whatsoever.

Or is there another grouping in mind?

Not to mention that the 'world community' is chock-full of countries who will do anything to hurt the U.S. based on their frothing rabid knee-jerk hatred and envy of the U.S. You want us to submit our foreign policy to them? Bush & Co. might not be the most efficient or effective group on the block, but they understand that the world does not get a vote on every aspect of American foreign policy.
*breathe in*This is why I am a FP neoconservative and not a FP liberal*breathe out*
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2005, 09:09:34 PM by In on the Kill Taker »

At some popint you have to make a moral judgement that you're not going to do business with a certain caste of people.  If we don't make these judgements, then America's security and dignity are finished.  Would you do commerce with Zimbabwe?  North Korea?  Apartheid South Africa?  Nazi Germany?  Who don't we do business with?  Is anything too much oppression, too much dishonor?

But then why is doing business with communists so much worse than doing business with Pinochets or other such repressive regimes? If you want to argue the US should not be trading with any repressive regimes, fine, not a bad policy, but some consistency is needed.

And of course, the person who most opposed trade restrictions and sanctions on South Africa was Ronald Reagan. He had vetoed bills establishing so that had the support of over 80% of Congress.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 10:14:23 PM »

But then why is doing business with communists so much worse than doing business with Pinochets or other such repressive regimes? If you want to argue the US should not be trading with any repressive regimes, fine, not a bad policy, but some consistency is needed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6^6^^^^6^six^
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 12:07:04 AM »

And of course, the person who most opposed trade restrictions and sanctions on South Africa was Ronald Reagan. He had vetoed bills establishing so that had the support of over 80% of Congress.

I've said in this thread and elsewhere that I've never been sold o Pinochet.

As for S. Africa, there are perfectly good reasons to support keeping trade open with S. Africa in the 1980s, namely that sanctions would hurt the people we were trying to help.  Since only US comapnies would employ blacks it might not be a good idea to embargo the country.  I don't agree that we should have traded with S. Africa, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit when someone disagrees with me on this issue.

In most of the cases you can bring up, there is either a very compelling reason to make an exemption or you'll find that I don't support open trade with these countries.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 04:18:07 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6^6^^^^6^six^

Screw those repressive governments who are hostile to you before screwing those repressive governments who are not hostile to you - just common sense. Cool
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies