I Know this Poll has been taken, but. . .
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I Know this Poll has been taken, but. . .
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe people are naturally good?
Yes/Libertarian

No/Libertarian

Yes/Populist

No/Populist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: I Know this Poll has been taken, but. . .  (Read 2456 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:08:27 PM »

I know I only put Populist and Libertarian, because that is what I'm trying to figure.  Theoretically, Populists should believe people are not naturally good, as they wish to exert control over both a person's economic and personal lives.  Libertarians should be vice-versa.  Just wondering how it turns out.

For me, it's Yes, Libertarian.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 12:40:13 AM »

'Good' and 'bad' are entirely subjective.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 02:44:34 PM »

Bump for vigour and deciveness.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:45:41 PM »

Yes/Libertarian, I suppose.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 02:57:38 PM »

'Good' and 'bad' are entirely subjective.

and that distinguishes these terms from everything else??

Yes/neither.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 03:21:10 PM »

Write in: Neither/Libertarian. As a whole, I don't believe humans are inclined one way or another.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:33:34 PM »

Write in: Neither/Libertarian. As a whole, I don't believe humans are inclined one way or another.

Personally, I feel that there's a tilt towards the good side purely because of the fact that the human race is still in existence and thriving in general; it seems to me that it would not be in very good shape if there was no such tilt.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »

It is interesting that, according to these poll results, the philosophy that supports personal freedom more is also the philosophy that is less trusting in the goodness of people.
Cashcow

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 05:46:43 PM »

For once, I agree with opebo. These questions are ridiculous. We all believe that we're doing the right thing, but it's irrefutable that someone is usually harmed in the process of a "good" action.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 07:02:40 PM »

It is interesting that, according to these poll results, the philosophy that supports personal freedom more is also the philosophy that is less trusting in the goodness of people.

That was the intent of this was to find out.  I expected the opposite results.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 07:42:58 PM »

You can't lump all people together.  Some are good and some are bad, and it isn't even as cut an dry as that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 08:52:09 PM »

That was the intent of this was to find out.  I expected the opposite results.

alright then, I'll vote Yes/Libertarian, since among the four choices I suppose that's my closest match.  That, and I'm curious now to see the results as well.  Happy polling.  Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 08:54:44 PM »

Libertarian are generally more cynical about people (from my own personal experience) and thus don't have an interest in helping the people, and would just like the government to leave them alone so they can pursue success.

From what I've seen, libertarians do have an interest in helping the people, and they feel that the best way to do so is to get the government off their backs.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »

damn.  now that I've seen it I must admit I'm a tad surprised too.

I asume you'd have expected the rightists/small govt types to be overwhelmingly YES and the leftists/large govt types to be mostly NO.  Shows how little we know.  Anyway, don't get discouraged, Vorlon can tell you a lot of this has to do with your wording (And the odd choices.)  Let folks forget about it, wait a few months, then ask something like, "I believe in the innate benevolence of mankind"

YES/D
YES/R
YES/Other
NO/D
NO/R
NO/Other
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 09:05:12 PM »

Preston, I have to say, I'm with True Independent and Gabu here.  I would have guessed Rightists/small government types have a basic faith (However misguided or misplaced!!) in the benevolence of mankind.  And Leftists/large government types do not fall into that category.  Not that they think mankind is innately malevolent.  Just not benevolent.  And this would explain a great deal.  Apparently, it would.

But then, obviously, given the poll results, we were mistaken.  (Though I suspect that this result depends more on the experimental conditions, the wording, the sampling, etc., than on the fact that we were wrong.  After all, you know I'm never really wrong in the greater universal aesthetic sense.)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »

damn.  now that I've seen it I must admit I'm a tad surprised too.

I asume you'd have expected the rightists/small govt types to be overwhelmingly YES and the leftists/large govt types to be mostly NO.  Shows how little we know.  Anyway, don't get discouraged, Vorlon can tell you a lot of this has to do with your wording (And the odd choices.)  Let folks forget about it, wait a few months, then ask something like, "I believe in the innate benevolence of mankind"

YES/D
YES/R
YES/Other
NO/D
NO/R
NO/Other

I don't think Democrats and Republicans would be the right thing to use.  I'm trying to focus on just these two quarters of the spectrum.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 09:22:06 PM »

Libertarian are generally more cynical about people (from my own personal experience) and thus don't have an interest in helping the people, and would just like the government to leave them alone so they can pursue success.

From what I've seen, libertarians do have an interest in helping the people, and they feel that the best way to do so is to get the government off their backs.
I really doubt it.  I'm sorry, but most of the rhetoric I hear from economic libertarians is complaining about the lower classes or "welfare slobs" or complaining about people who depend on the government too much.  Why would a leader want to help people through goverment spending if they didn't trust them?  It seems the leader who doesn't believe in the goodness of people would advocated less government spending and involvement, such as a libertarian.

My thinking was that Libertarians would feel that people are naturally good.  They believe people are good enough to make their own decisions.  Populists on the other hand, would believe people are not naturally good.  They believe people do not naturally make good decisions as shown by the Populists want to control both a person's economic choices (i.e. welfare) and personal choices (i.e. opposing gay marriage).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 06:56:46 AM »

Yes/Populist

Dave
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 04:19:54 PM »

No/Libertarian.
I'm glad the preconcieved notion has been destroyed.
And btw, angus, id stil answer no to your poll. I have strong pessimis convictions.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »

Most libertarians I've known in real life, ie not on this forum but during the time when I was studying economics and they were trying to drill that nonsense into me, were either VERY cynical (but some of them still very nice guys) or upper-middle-class boys who were obviously not the brightest tools in the shed. Which would explain this, I guess.

CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 04:30:22 PM »

Yes/Libertarian

I don't really have anything to say to this thread, Gabu said everything I was thinking!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies