Ohio Gov. 2006 Thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:44:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Gov. 2006 Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ohio Gov. 2006 Thread.  (Read 4860 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2005, 05:33:44 PM by nickshep democRAT »

His site is up.  Looks nice.

"Our great state is in desperate need of change,
and I believe that I have the judgement, the vision,
and the drive to lead Ohio to a new day."

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 04:16:21 AM »

He stands every chance of getting elected; what's more he'd almost immediately be my favourite governor Smiley

Very much like his fellow Ohio Congressman, Tim Ryan he a good old fashioned Populist and is just what Ohio needs.

I have to say that with Strickland nominated, a near certainty, the race has a strong lean to the Democrats.

If Ryan runs for Senate, then I do hope that Strickland will consider Hackett for his runningmate, it would be an excellent chance for Hackett to gain political experience and expand his narrative from simply being a convincing and credible anti-war voice and war hero.         

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:34:26 AM »

Strickland is quite an interesting guy actually; he is (or at least was) a psychologist and Methodist minister.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 06:49:11 AM »

He stands every chance of getting elected; what's more he'd almost immediately be my favourite governor Smiley

id have the opposite reaction.

ben you should stick with the pro-business democrats (ie easley).  populism is a losing ideology.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 07:03:17 AM »

ben you should stick with the pro-business democrats (ie easley).  populism is a losing ideology.

Schweitzer?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 07:11:10 AM »

id have the opposite reaction.

Not in Ohio it isn't Smiley With Strickland running for Governor and Ryan for Senate that's too strong candidates both of whom are old fashioned populists.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 08:29:30 AM »

strickland is going to lose.

populism is a non-starter in suburbia.  i doubt it will play well in the exploding exurbs of the columbus area.

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 09:29:07 AM »

populism is a non-starter in suburbia.  i doubt it will play well in the exploding exurbs of the columbus area.

I doubt any Republican is going to win with the coat tails that Taft and the entire Ohio GOP seem to be offering these days, even a weak Dem candidate would have a chance.

As things stand Strickland is very likley to win the gubernational contest and Ryan is in with a 50/50 chance against DeWine should he run.

Sorry but you should look at the facts...

The GOP has been well a truly discredited in Ohio and moderates like Ryan and Strickland will clean house thanks to the incompetancy of the Taft Administration and the Republican leadership in the state as a whole. 

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 09:37:44 AM »

populism is a non-starter in suburbia.

Well that does depend on what you mean by suburbia

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, no it (and he) won't. But he doesn't need to worry about them.

He just needs to poll well in the areas that voted for Kerry while polling well in Eastern Ohio.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 03:49:11 AM »

Me, too.  I may have said this before, but I think he'll run for prez in the future.  Not 2008, but he's definitely presidential material!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 04:41:00 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2005, 04:42:51 AM by Justice Ben. »

Me, too.  I may have said this before, but I think he'll run for prez in the future.  Not 2008, but he's definitely presidential material!

I'd like to think he had the "x-factor" that would make him competative as a presidential candidate, as his politics are an excellent fit for me, though lets just make sure the guy gets his first term Smiley

I wonder if you could get a Strickland vs Sanford fight somtime in the future? A libertarian leaning Southern Governor and former congressman vs a Populist leaning Midwestern Governor and former congressman... hmmm, anyway, as i say, lets get him elected first.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:18:59 AM »

I'd like to think he had the "x-factor" that would make him competative as a presidential candidate, as his politics are an excellent fit for me, though lets just make sure the guy gets his first term Smiley

I wonder if you could get a Strickland vs Sanford fight somtime in the future? A libertarian leaning Southern Governor and former congressman vs a Populist leaning Midwestern Governor and former congressman... hmmm, anyway, as i say, lets get him elected first.

Strickland would win in that election, and I'd vote for him.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 12:25:14 PM »

Schweitzer?

Schweitzer talks like a populist, but if you look at his viewpoints he is actually fairly libertarian.

I doubt any Republican is going to win with the coat tails that Taft and the entire Ohio GOP seem to be offering these days, even a weak Dem candidate would have a chance.

As things stand Strickland is very likley to win the gubernational contest and Ryan is in with a 50/50 chance against DeWine should he run.

Sorry but you should look at the facts...

The GOP has been well a truly discredited in Ohio and moderates like Ryan and Strickland will clean house thanks to the incompetancy of the Taft Administration and the Republican leadership in the state as a whole. 

I think you're overrating this.  If this idea were fully true, Tim Kaine would be waltzing into the governor's mansion right now.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 07:38:51 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2005, 07:43:50 PM by nickshep democRAT »

And the mudslinging begins...

U.S. Rep. Ted Strickland, a Democratic candidate for governor in 2006, on Sunday slammed what he called the "Gang of Four" Republican statewide officeholders, saying their failed leadership is causing Ohio to slip into second-rate status.

"What we're seeing in Washington, D.C., and Columbus is the arrogance that comes with one-party rule," Strickland told about 100 supporters at a fundraiser sponsored by the Democratic Club of Huber Heights. "When Dick Celeste was governor, we used to brag that Ohio was the heart of it all. How long has it been since you've felt that way in your heart?"

Strickland, in a reference to the Coingate investigation, said Gov. Bob Taft has been spending his time playing golf with special-interest friends while Ohio is bleeding jobs, the public schools are in distress and the cost of higher education balloons.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 07:55:23 PM »

I'm sorry but the case against that statement is overwhelming right now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 08:41:39 PM »

Strickland should have run for senate.  That's the more important race, and he'd be a stronger candidate than Hackett.  Then Hackett could have run for Governor instead and had a decent chance to win.  I think Ohio Democrats have their candidates (or their priorities) backwards.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 08:44:31 PM »

Strickland should have run for senate.  That's the more important race, and he'd be a stronger candidate than Hackett.  Then Hackett could have run for Governor instead and had a decent chance to win.  I think Ohio Democrats have their candidates (or their priorities) backwards.

I think Strickland would do a better job of running the state government than Paul Hackett.  The Senate can make do with Mike DeWine if necessary.  This is where my priorities lie right now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 09:11:44 PM »

I'm sorry but the case against that statement is overwhelming right now.

I must be missing something. Are the Gubernatorial, Senatorial and House races this year?

I don't like how people like Mitty say "He's going to lose because...well...he just will" but saying "It doesn't look like he'll win now" makes even less sense.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 09:15:08 PM »

Hence me saying "right now". Wink

Walter's comment was apparently assuming that Strickland will lose no matter what happens between now and November next year.  But I know things will most likely change, so I'm prepared to accept a few upsets if they occur.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 09:17:24 PM »

Hence me saying "right now". Wink

Walter's comment was apparently assuming that Strickland will lose no matter what happens between now and November next year.  But I know things will most likely change, so I'm prepared to accept a few upsets if they occur.

It seems like Ohioans are never really satisfied with the state party yet ultimately stay with them and their candidates when November rolls around. Now that may be very different with Strickland but I can see whoever the GOP nominee is in 2006 bouncing back. This will be a close race.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »

For what it's worth, the OH GOP seems to be collapsing slowly in terms of general approval, in a similar way that the MT GOP has.  It still has most of the money and all the right connections, so I won't be ruling out a surprise victory for their nominee (most likely Ken Blackwell).  I just think that at this point in time that would appear somewhat unlikely.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 09:27:26 PM »

Actually there are two Ohio Republican parties.

The one represented by Taft, Dewine and Voinovich (Rockefeller types) and the majority (conservatives).

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 09:31:43 PM »

The one represented by Taft, Dewine and Voinovich (Rockefeller types)

Yeah, hopefully when they're gone we can start rebuilding. Taft is obviously done, Voinivich might be in his last term and DeWine...well...I don't know.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 01:12:22 PM »

Actually there are two Ohio Republican parties.

The one represented by Taft, Dewine and Voinovich (Rockefeller types) and the majority (conservatives).

Very true.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 05:34:36 PM »

This is deserving of a bump...

(click for larger image)

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »