Confirmation Hearing: Ben Meyers (Defense)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:58:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Ben Meyers (Defense)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Ben Meyers (Defense)  (Read 2330 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:18:33 PM »

I call to order the confirmation hearing for Secretary of Defense and Security nominee Ben Meyers.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 01:46:07 PM »

I fully support Mr. Meyers in this new cabinet position and wish him the best of luck.

I think this'll also mean that if Ben runs in the next regular Senatorial election he'll probably win. That's what happened to me. I went into the SoD and then won the Northeast Senate election two months later.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:48:28 PM »

I fully support Mr. Meyers in this new cabinet position and wish him the best of luck.

I think this'll also mean that if Ben runs in the next regular Senatorial election he'll probably win. That's what happened to me. I went into the SoD and then won the Northeast Senate election two months later.

Thank you very much for your support, Senator. Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:51:04 PM »

I'd rather see Ben Meyers in the Senate, but obviously that is a matter for the Southeast, and not me, to decide. Assuming that the new Governor (whoever it may be!) does not appoint him, I fully support this nomination, and urge the Senate to grant its approval.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »

I'd rather see Ben Meyers in the Senate, but obviously that is a matter for the Southeast, and not me, to decide. Assuming that the new Governor (whoever it may be!) does not appoint him, I fully support this nomination, and urge the Senate to grant its approval.

Thanks, Emsworth. Smiley

To be honest, I spoke with President Siege about this, if/when Sam resigns, and when there is a new Governor, I will most likely take up the seat. 

In the interim, or if I don't get appointed, I am equally as happy serving in this position.  I am actually very interested in Defense issues and am delighted and honored to be appointed. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 04:51:38 PM »

As outgoing Secretary of Defense and Security, I would like to give my full support and endorsement to Mr. Meyers.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 04:55:54 PM »

As outgoing Secretary of Defense and Security, I would like to give my full support and endorsement to Mr. Meyers.

Thanks very much, Ebowed! SmileySmileySmiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 05:08:49 PM »

I can't immediately think of any questions, so I'll just say that this nomination is an excellent one.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »

I can't immediately think of any questions, so I'll just say that this nomination is an excellent one.

Thanks a lot, Gabu! SmileySmileySmiley
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 05:15:13 PM »

I have a general question to ask:

What do you feel qualifies you to be our next Secretary of Defense?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 06:00:51 PM »

I have a general question to ask:

What do you feel qualifies you to be our next Secretary of Defense?

Thank you for the question, Senator. Smiley

I believe that I am qualified to be our next Secretary of Defense in many aspects.  For one, I am extremely knowledgeable about the subject of the American military, as well as American foreign policy.  I have a tremendous amount of knowledge on the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, etc., as well as current international conflicts.  I am well aware of problems that our military has (for example, recruitment), and I believe that I could work together with President Siege in order to deal with these problems.

Another qualification that I have for this position is my ideology involving the military.  My views on this topic represent a good balance; I am a military hawk, but I am not "trigger-happy," so to say.  Basically, I know when and how our military should or could be used.  I will not consent or advise military action or any action involving the military unless it would be beneficial to our country and those serving it.

Also, I am very active in Atlasia, and I will be able to have adequate time to do this job well.

Thank you very much for the question. Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 06:20:19 PM »

He's got my vote. Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 06:30:53 PM »

Thanks a bunch, my friend. Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 09:21:52 PM »

The guy can survive a palm tree coming through his window. If that's not enough of a qualification for a Sec Def then I don't know what is. Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »

The guy can survive a palm tree coming through his window. If that's not enough of a qualification for a Sec Def then I don't know what is. Smiley

Hehe.  Yeah, I survived it, even though my face got all scratched up.  However, I'm still smiling. SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 09:29:30 PM »

I support this nomination fully.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 09:40:36 PM »

Thanks, Sam.  I'm honored to have your support. Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 10:01:47 PM »

Would you do describe your foreign policy views as isolationist or interventionalist?  Please explain futher.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 10:14:12 PM »

Would you do describe your foreign policy views as isolationist or interventionalist?  Please explain futher.

Sure, Senator, and thanks for the question. Smiley

As with most issues, I don't fit neatly into one label.  I guess my views on this issue can be summarize with one sentence.  I do not believe that America should use military action unless our national interests are threatened.

I believe that we should only use action, or intervene, if there is a chance that, if we did not intervene, our nation would be negatively affected in some way.  If we are being threatened militarily, I believe that we should intervene.  If we are being threatened economically, depending on the severity of the situation, I believe that we should be able to intervene.

I think you were also asking the question in a diplomatic sense.  If that is the case, I believe that we should always make our own decisions.  We shouldn't give the U.N. veto power, so to say.  However, I believe that we must work together with the rest of the world on future efforts in order to be more successful. 

Thanks for your question, and if there is anything else you'd like to know, please ask. Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »

As with most issues, I don't fit neatly into one label.  I guess my views on this issue can be summarize with one sentence.  I do not believe that America should use military action unless our national interests are threatened.

I believe that we should only use action, or intervene, if there is a chance that, if we did not intervene, our nation would be negatively affected in some way.  If we are being threatened militarily, I believe that we should intervene.  If we are being threatened economically, depending on the severity of the situation, I believe that we should be able to intervene.

I think you were also asking the question in a diplomatic sense.  If that is the case, I believe that we should always make our own decisions.  We shouldn't give the U.N. veto power, so to say.  However, I believe that we must work together with the rest of the world on future efforts in order to be more successful. 

Thanks for your question, and if there is anything else you'd like to know, please ask. Smiley

So would you support or oppose the War in Iraq?  If you oppose it, would support immediately pulling out troops?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »

So would you support or oppose the War in Iraq?  If you oppose it, would support immediately pulling out troops?

In 2003, before we went to war, I supported it because I felt as though we were in immediate danger.  As it is, we are not, and therefore, I am starting to oppose the war.  I don't believe in immediate troop withdrawl.  However, I believe that more effort should go to training Iraqi soldiers so we can begin to transfer more power over to them.  We should also let other nations get involved in the effort.  If I'm not mistaken, France and Egypt have offered to train thousands of Iraqi soldiers.  I don't see why we are not allowing them to do that.  Once we train their soldiers, and the Iraqi government becomes more powerful, I will support a gradual troop withdrawl from Iraq.

Thanks for the question. Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 11:04:30 PM »

I have no questions, and pledge my support to Ben.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 11:16:58 PM »

I have no questions, and pledge my support to Ben.

Thank you very much, Harry! SmileySmileySmiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 07:21:24 AM »

I also don't have any questions after seeing what's been asked so far.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 09:16:02 AM »

The question is on granting the Senate's advice and consent to this nomination. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies