Impeachment Proceedings against Secretary of Forum Affairs Ilikeverin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:09:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Impeachment Proceedings against Secretary of Forum Affairs Ilikeverin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Impeachment Proceedings against Secretary of Forum Affairs Ilikeverin  (Read 3230 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2005, 01:02:13 PM »

I intend to leave elected office with a bang.  So here it is.

By the powers vested in me by the constitution of the Atlas Forum, I hereby introduce impeachment proceedings against Secretary of Forum Affairs Ilikeverin for negligent activity in his position on the Cabinet in the past mid-term (August) elections.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 01:11:51 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2005, 02:09:13 PM by Emsworth »

I personally strongly oppose this measure. But whatever my views may be:

As required by the Constitution, the Senate is hereby empanelled as a Grand Jury to consider Articles of Impeachment. The Constitution provides that the Chief Justice must preside.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:14:21 PM »

This is madness. The elections went fine, every nation has election problems and I feel that we should not impeach a person because of some hic-ups of democracy.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:25:33 PM »

Just for the court's and the Senate's information:

I am not seeking a harsh penalty for the actions in this past election.  A removal from office will suffice, not even time banned from office is particularly necessary, though I will push for a month, maybe two.

However, it is clear that Verin acted negligently in his handling of this election. 

He took no steps to provide for his potential absence in the closing of the election booth, allowing two ballots to be cast post-election and allowed for the potential of editing or deleting of ballots in order to influence an election to potentially occur.

He also indirectly allowed the ballots of two voters to be counted, whose names were not present on the voter rolls at election time, an omission which is alreadying causing great election turmoil in the Southeast Region elections.  We can only be so fortunate that this omission played no major factor in the federal elections held at this time.

That is all for now.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:38:49 PM »

Just one thing, do we still have the provision in the Constitution stating that an impeached member of government can never hold a federally elected office again?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 01:44:09 PM »

Just one thing, do we still have the provision in the Constitution stating that an impeached member of government can never hold a federally elected office again?
No, the relevant clause is:

"Upon conviction by the People, the officer shall be removed from office immediately. Any person convicted upon impeachment shall be disqualified from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment."

Therefore, when the Grand Jury drafts actual Articles of Impeachment, it must specify the punishment.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 01:46:44 PM »

No, the relevant clause is:

"Upon conviction by the People, the officer shall be removed from office immediately. Any person convicted upon impeachment shall be disqualified from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment."

Therefore, when the Grand Jury drafts actual Articles of Impeachment, it must specify the punishment.

Thank you Mr. Vice President for clearing up the constitutional concerns for me.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 01:55:27 PM »

Why?  He told you what happened, he thought he'd have internet access and his trip just messed up and he said that he'd appoint a back-up from now on.  I think some of you guys just have a big grudge against Ilikeverin and I can't figure out what it is.  I mean, he's nice to everyone, he's never held a grudge and he get's treated like he's someone who's not fit to be on the forum.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 02:00:09 PM »

In my opinion, Secretary of Forums Affairs was and is the job that least suited Verin. Verin did not make proper arrangements for closing the election which caused his deputy to certify the results hours later and now his deputy must recuse himself from a court case, all because of Verin's negligence. I was perfectly fine with him goofing off and "having fun" when he was Governor or Lt. Governor, but when his negligence affects my region's elections and when he blatantly tells the Senate that he won't be availible to accomplish his most important task (closing the voting booths on time), that's when my tolerance for him ends.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »

It was his first election as SoFA!  He didn't even mess up very bad and he wasn't goofing off, he merely had a trip where there was suppose to be internet access and there wasn't.  We all make mistakes, but you guys don't even seem to have the decency to give him a second chance!  I mean, come on!  It doesn't seem very fun for people to be watching your every move and one wrong step and everyone turns on you, does it?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 02:13:34 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2005, 02:16:23 PM by Emsworth »

I hope that the Grand Jury will not mind my (unofficial) two cents:

Was the handling of the election as good as it should have been? No, it was not. ILikeVerin admits that it was not handled absolutely perfectly, and so does the former DSoFA.

But does it deserve impeachment? I feel that it does not. There was no fraudulent behavior here. There was no maladministration. There was no gross negligence. The SoFA was only a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

Now, obviously, some feel that the handling of the election merits impeachment: and they are entitled to that view, although I respectfully disagree with it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 06:38:36 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2005, 06:40:43 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Personally, I don't think that impeachment is in order.  I would consider impeachment to be in order if the official was guilty of either a) some sort of fraud, tampering, or otherwise compromising the ability of the results of the election to fully represent the will of the people or b) such gross negligence or incompetence that the election results must be thrown in the trash and a new one held.

Neither a) nor b) apply here.  The election was not run perfectly, to be sure, but the errors made were by no means either unrecoverable or deliberate, and as such, I don't feel that any issues arose that were grand enough to merit impeachment.  Numerous times as PPT I've made mistakes, whether opening a vote when it shouldn't, opening a vote on a bill when there's still an amendment to be considered, or what have you.  Nobody attempted to remove me from my position as a consequence; we just admitted that a mistake had been made and took appropriate action to compensate for it.  I see no reason why this cannot also be handled in the same sort of way.

As well as that, from what I've gathered, it was not entirely the SoFA's fault, either.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 07:57:44 PM »

I move that the impeachment proceedings be tabled. And fed to opebo's lions.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »

I move that the impeachment proceedings be tabled. And fed to opebo's lions.

Second the motion, but lion's in the Senate chamber may get messy. Tongue
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 08:12:41 PM »

We'll have to wait for the Chief Justice to put this to a vote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 07:24:22 AM »

I'm also against this. Yes things could have gone a lot better but nothing really bad happened that would make me want to vote to impeach Mr. Verin.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 08:48:50 AM »

Ok, there is a motion that these prodeedings be tabled, and it has been seconded.  All those in favor say aye, opposed nay.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 10:01:47 AM »

I ask my Senators to open impeachment proceedings against Senator Sam Spade, on account of his wasting the Senates# time with frivolous impeachment proceedings.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 10:05:39 AM »

i vote to table this ridiculousness...I haven't seen anything this ridiculous since Ridiculous Day down at the deli, where prices were so low, they were ridiculous.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 10:53:54 AM »

Aye for tableing the impeachment.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 12:11:46 PM »

Aye to table impeachment proceedings.

Whereas ILV has not totally been on the ball as SoFA, I don't think his performance warrants impeachment (at least not now).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 12:14:07 PM »

Nay.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 12:37:23 PM »

I ask my Senators to open impeachment proceedings against Senator Sam Spade, on account of his wasting the Senates# time with frivolous impeachment proceedings.

Spade is resigning after this is done with anyway. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 12:58:14 PM »

Spade is resigning after this is done with anyway. Tongue

I said I wanted to go out with a bang.  I'm surprised no one's getting the humor.

Nonetheless, these proceedings will look prescient come October when we get to the next federal election, the big one (Presidential) and Ilikeverin screws up big-time again.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 01:09:42 PM »

You've given me an idea, Lewis. 

Maybe I should resign the position of GM after I've accepted it and appoint someone to fill in the spot.  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies