day 4: arkansas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:05:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  day 4: arkansas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: day 4: arkansas  (Read 3942 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2005, 08:34:48 AM »

discuss arkansas.

Why is the democratic party holding up much better here than elsewhere in the south? just the clinton legacy?
democrats got 30% of the white evangelical vote in arkansas, twice as much as just about anywhere else.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 08:51:02 AM »

Arkansas is a very interesting state.  I think it's also a very liberal state at heart.  It elected two Democratic Senators and all of its Congressman are Democratic.  It remains a swing state in presidential elections.  I think that it depends more on the candidates than the parties in presidential elections.  A Southern, moderate, charismatic Democrat could sweep this state.  However, both Gore and Kerry sorta let this one go, and they lost.  I think it was about 54-45 for Bush this past year, and that's still pretty close.  Also, it's looking like Beebe will be elected Governor.  This is still a very Democratic state. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 09:00:12 AM »

Arkansas is a very interesting state.  I think it's also a very liberal state at heart.  It elected two Democratic Senators and all of its Congressman are Democratic. 
Not quite, three out of four are.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 09:00:44 AM »

ive always thought of arkansas as the west va of the south, without (real) mountains and with a lot more black people.

good job of pinch hitting for me lewis.

ill need you to start the threads tomorrow and monday, as i will be on the road heading to massachusetts.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 09:03:39 AM »

Sorry. I'm not familair with this expression. And I can't promise to be around to open the threads, I guess just somebodywill have to do it, as long as they're sticking to the alphabet.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 09:07:17 AM »

Sorry. I'm not familair with this expression. And I can't promise to be around to open the threads, I guess just somebodywill have to do it, as long as they're sticking to the alphabet.

a pinch hitter is a substitute in the batting order in the game of baseball.

yes, whoever does it, please, please stick to the alphabet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 09:09:14 AM »

a pinch hitter is a substitute in the batting order in the game of baseball.
Ah, alright. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 10:08:02 AM »

Arkansas has two very good senators in Mark Pryor and Blance Lincoln.  That's what I know about Arkansas.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 10:53:04 AM »

Arkansas votes Democratic when a populist is on the ticket.  That's all you need to know.  The state democratic party is very strong, indeed.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 10:59:05 AM »

Arkansas votes Democratic when a populist is on the ticket.  That's all you need to know.  The state democratic party is very strong, indeed.

bill clinton was a populist?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 11:14:31 AM »

bill clinton was a populist?

I don't think so.  Clinton was a libertarian in my book.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 03:12:35 PM »

Arkansas will, like most populist-leaning states, vote for a person who walks and talks like a populist, which Bill Clinton was absolutely brilliant at.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 02:49:15 PM »

I wonder if there is some sort of intrastate regional effect. 

Because there is a traditional Republican area in the Ozarks, people in the south and east might be less inclined to switch to what they might perceive as the party of the NW.  There might be the same sort of effect in Tennessee, but with a more substantial Republican area, resulting in Republican dominance.

For example, see the 1968 county results.  The Wallace areas in othe states have swung Republican.  But they have held up as more Democratic in Arkansas.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »

I wonder if there is some sort of intrastate regional effect. 

Because there is a traditional Republican area in the Ozarks, people in the south and east might be less inclined to switch to what they might perceive as the party of the NW.  There might be the same sort of effect in Tennessee, but with a more substantial Republican area, resulting in Republican dominance.

For example, see the 1968 county results.  The Wallace areas in othe states have swung Republican.  But they have held up as more Democratic in Arkansas.

There is such an effect ... but I don't think that's sufficient explanation, since the question would then be, why is there no such effect elsewhere? Most Southern states have their ancient Republican stronghold areas, after all.
To add to the weirdness, there are counties in NE Arkansas that are 80+ or even 90+ White and are just a couple of counties off of Black-majority places. Elsewhere in the South, places like that vote 70+ Republican. Counties I'm thinking of (I'd have to research for names...) voted for Gore and Kerry.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 07:15:55 PM »

There is less of a pronounced racist white backlash against the Democrats in Arkansas because there are fewer blacks - only about 15%.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 08:00:12 AM »

There is such an effect ... but I don't think that's sufficient explanation, since the question would then be, why is there no such effect elsewhere? Most Southern states have their ancient Republican stronghold areas, after all.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
In the Deep South they are usually very small.  Alabama has Winston County.  North Georgia has a couple of counties.

In Tennessee, the mountain area is more significant.

(Clay and Randolph for example)  These counties were not part of the traditional Republican stronghold.  To switch to the Republican party would be joining the Ozark hillbillies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 09:21:12 AM »

In the Deep South they are usually very small.  Alabama has Winston County.  North Georgia has a couple of counties.

In Tennessee, the mountain area is more significant.

(Clay and Randolph for example)  These counties were not part of the traditional Republican stronghold.  To switch to the Republican party would be joining the Ozark hillbillies.
Similar counties in Georgia and Virginia seem to have had no such qualms. (Although some areas in NC do...)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 10:42:36 AM »

when will we continue to day 5 of the 'road trip'??
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »

Soon as anyone starts a thread titled "day 5: california".
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 10:45:28 AM »

Soon as anyone starts a thread titled "day 5: california".

Should I take initiative?  I'm scared....maybe you should do it  Smiley

Plus I can't write those brilliant openings like you and mitty have.
RBH

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 09:18:20 PM »

Arkansas was probably the most successful southern state for the Moderate Republicans. Winthrop Rockefeller beat a segregationist (Justice Jim) and a Faubus buddy, and then he lost by 30 points to Bumpers.

Some of the other Southern states had hints of a liberal Republican movement. But that died off pretty quickly as Conservative Democrats started to switch sides.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 04:10:52 AM »

Similar counties in Georgia and Virginia seem to have had no such qualms. (Although some areas in NC do...)
There are not similar counties in Georgia.

The Ozarks cover about 1/4 of Arkansas.  The tradition Appalachian Republican area of Georgia is a county or two in the extreme north.
jacob_101

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 07:27:28 PM »

This is another state where the exit polls were junk.  According to CNN exit polls Bush won the black vote in the teens in 2000 and then only won 6% in 2004 but yet gained nationally among blacks?

And gained 56 to 63% of the white vote....come on!  I think CNN's adjustments are a bit biased.

This state is so democratic for a southern state, I am not sure why, so will say  that it will remain a swing state.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 11:43:15 AM »

An important fact about politics in Arkansas is that the population is growing quite rapidly in the Republican Ozarks of the Northwest. Wal-Mart is based up there in Bentonville, bringing lots of business types to the Republican voting totals. Like all of the South, except Florida (which is more independant) Arkansas is trending religious right fast.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 12:40:41 PM »

An important fact about politics in Arkansas is that the population is growing quite rapidly in the Republican Ozarks of the Northwest. Wal-Mart is based up there in Bentonville, bringing lots of business types to the Republican voting totals. Like all of the South, except Florida (which is more independant) Arkansas is trending religious right fast.
Yes, but the religious right is something that we Southern Democrats can deal with.  It's populist in nature, and we can get enough of it to still win elections; quite handily, in fact.

Now I would agree that the area growing around Bentonville consists largely of capitalist or liberatarian Republicans, who are not populist in nature.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies