What's your local dialect? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:10:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your local dialect? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your local dialect?  (Read 5512 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: August 30, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »

General American with twinges of Northern Cities (Chicago-Detroit) and North-Central (U.P.-Wisconsin-Minnesota-North Dakota).

My parents both grew up in the military, living on bases for most of their childhood.  My dad was born in Austria, then moved to the UK, France, Italy, and Germany until finally moving to the D.C. suburbs when he was 16.  My mom lived in Connecticut and Pennslyvania before moving to the D.C. suburbs at age 17.

My parents met at the University of Maryland, and I was raised in the D.C. suburbs, exposed to accents of people from around the country, until we moved to Wisconsin when I was nearly 13.

As a result I have an "everywhere" accent, and I tend to assimilate the accents of whomever I'm speaking to.  I can put on a convincing southern American, Canadian, Californian, Yooper, and Scouse (but then only because I've seen every episode of Red Dwarf).
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 10:46:31 AM »

The Pacific Northwest probably has the least significant dialect of any region.  It is, along with parts of Ohio, I believe, considered the most typical American accent.

My accent is probably very close to that, but I still make the old cot/caught distinction, and most folks in the northwest do not.

I could go into broadcasting and probably not have to modify my pronunciations at all.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:05:45 AM »

I'm still confused that there are places were cot and caught have the same vowel sound Tongue

All of New England and Canada.

A narrow band starting central Penn. and gradually widening as it goes west into Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa.

Basically everything west of the Great Plains.

The bastions of ah/aw preservation are the Mid Atlantic (where I'm from), the northern Midwest (where I'm also from), and the South (where I'm sort of from).
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 05:08:41 PM »

Hmm, I don't quite pronounce caught as 'cawt', it's between 'caht' and 'cawt'.  That's what I got for my parents being from Detroit, me being from Fort Wayne (NE Indiana), and being since age 4 in Minnesota.

In Detroit they pronounce "cot" almost like "cat," and "caught" as "cot."

Go across the bridge to Windsor, ON, and they pronounce "stack" the way Detroit people say "stock."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies