Sad Day for Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:20:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sad Day for Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sad Day for Democrats  (Read 1826 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:54:54 AM »

It's a sad day for Demorats when they do sh*t like this.  I thought at least some Democrats were above this.  I kind of expect Republicans to do this.  I mean, after accusing the Republicans of politicizing 9/11, they do something like this.  I just can't believe.  People wonder why I'm unsure about registering Democrats.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/2005/08/news_from_lake.php
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:58:03 AM »

Please keep it up Democrats.  Is there any place I can donate to put you on TV so more Americans can hear this?  We want to help you get your message out.  I've donated to MoveOn before, and am encouraging everyone to do so.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 10:00:53 AM »

HuhHuh

Is it illegal to criticize the president for not doing more about this disaster? Since it has happened, he has addressed the Iraq War and the Medicare prescription drug benefit plan than he has the hurricane. He has basically avoided the problem and was photographed having fun at some country fair yesterday while hundreds of thousands are homeless from the hurriance.

If something as little as a post in a blog will get you this upset, you probably aren't going to vote Democratic anyway.

Everytime a Democrat and/or suspected Democrat dies, the posters on Free Republic celebrate and say things like "another commie bites the dust". That stuff happens all the time. You won't see us make a post about it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:13:03 AM »

Is it illegal to criticize the president for not doing more about this disaster? Since it has happened, he has addressed the Iraq War and the Medicare prescription drug benefit plan than he has the hurricane. He has basically avoided the problem and was photographed having fun at some country fair yesterday while hundreds of thousands are homeless from the hurriance.

Ummm, what you see on tv is not all that occurs during the day.  The Presidents job is not to roll up his sleeves and fly down and grab a shovel to start filling bags of sand.  His job is to ensure that those who are suppose to respond to the crisis is doing their jobs.  He has already made a public announcement regarding the tragedy as well as authorized the release of oil from the strategic reserves . . . two actions that he as President can do.  Beyond that, he has approved the military and various departments request to lend aid to the region.  He also declared a state of emergency before the storm hit, allowing this aid to be moved before hand in order to speed up relief.

So, if you want to just stick with what you've seen on tv, then that's fine.  More is going on off camera than you seem to understand or don't care to accept.  If that is the case, you are only hurting yourself.

A Disaster is a disaster.  It's not scripted.  It's not a cookie cutter event.  It's a disaster.  It has to be studied in order to understand how best to provide assistance and relief.  Now I will say that while the flooding was an important thing to try to get under control, the helicopters were diverted to rescue people in harms way.  Given the two choices, I too would have diverted the helicopters from flood control to save lives. 

My question is . . . where is the private community in this?  There are more than enough small helicopters in the region owned by private individuals and companies that could donate their services to assist with the search and rescue operations.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »

I basically agree with you, MODU, but I think that the president also must give the appearance (and that includes being on TV) that the hurricane disaster is the top priority for the country right now.

Because he has addressed other issues just as much, it gives the appearance that he doesn't really care. Therefore, I feel like the blogger is justified in his criticism.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 10:32:44 AM »

I basically agree with you, MODU, but I think that the president also must give the appearance (and that includes being on TV) that the hurricane disaster is the top priority for the country right now.

Because he has addressed other issues just as much, it gives the appearance that he doesn't really care. Therefore, I feel like the blogger is justified in his criticism.

I will give you that much.  The two appearances I've seen from him regarding this were the day before, where he called it a disaster zone and allowed for federal aid, and the evening of when he called for prayers and what not for the victims.  Maybe he should come out and say "Ok, we now how 8 government departments and the military providing direct support as well as a ton of charitble organizations involved in relief efforts.  Please contribute to the Red Cross and donate blood...." in Prime Time to pull the rest of the country together around the victims.

I'm just waiting to see how big the bill is going to be for the relief effort.  It went from $30 Billion before the storm to $9 Billion after it first hit, back up to $26 Billion.  With what I've seen, I'm going to say it will be a minimum of $40 Billion when all the states involved report their actual damages.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 10:37:51 AM »

I read that it would cost $26 billion+.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 11:03:35 AM »

I read that it would cost $26 billion+.

Yeah, the plus being the key aspect.  I read this morning about flooding in Kentucky and tornadoes in Georgia, both caused by Katrina.  I haven't seen anything from Ohio yet, but the bulk of the rain sat over Ohio last night before crossing the mountains.  That's why I think it will be at least $40Billion.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 11:04:49 AM »

It's a sad day for Demorats when they do sh*t like this.  I thought at least some Democrats were above this.  I kind of expect Republicans to do this.  I mean, after accusing the Republicans of politicizing 9/11, they do something like this.  I just can't believe.  People wonder why I'm unsure about registering Democrats.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/2005/08/news_from_lake.php
you can't blame a huge group for the actions of a few...
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 11:05:56 AM »

What SUCKS is that it's entirely up to the networks what footage they're going to show - and on most to all of the TV networks, they're not going to show becoming footage.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 11:09:37 AM »

President Bush declared the region a disaster area before the storm even hit.  Because of this action, relief forces and supplies were in place to be deployed before the storm even hit.  The problem is the magnitude of the disaster made it impossible to bring in supplies to New Orleans by ground.   Because of this order there were Coast Guard units deployed to the area in advance instead of having to spend 8 hours moving in after the storm moved out.  Once the weather cleared, Search and Rescue operations began instead of waiting 12 horus for the choppers to arrive and refuel. This saved lives.

I agree though, that he should start providing post-disaster leadership.  I expect to see him on TV handing out supplies at the Astrodome tomorrow.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »

you can't blame a huge group for the actions of a few...

Exactly! 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 11:40:21 AM »

Quite. As far as I'm concerned Democrats and Republicans should be working hand-in-hand to do what's best for those areas affected by Hurricane Katrina

Heck, plenty of criticism can be levelled at Bush for a pantheon of reasons but this is not one of them

The headline 'News From Lake New Orleans' set the distasteful tone if you want my opinion

Most Democrats and Republicans are OK but you can't in all fairness tarnish all of them with the 'loony left' or the 'rabid right'

Dave
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

DailyKOS had crap like this yesterday. Pretty sad when the opposition feels the need to attack the President over a natural disaster. I mean, I could see criticism being deserved if Bush totally ignored the hurricane, didn't declare it a disaster area, and told the states to fend for themselves, but Bush has done all that he can from mobilizing reserve units, too ordering federal relief into the area, to moving Navy units to participate in the relief operations. To criticize him for that is not only distasteful, but pitiful.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 02:31:43 PM »

A Disaster is a disaster.  It's not scripted.
Which, you might claim, is precisely why Bush is looking so badly / why this tells us a lot about Bush's leadership abilities / whatever.
I'm not going to say I buy this hood and sinker, but it doesn't sound all wrong either.
And this whole "we've been lucky, New Orleans wasn't directly hit when the whole city seems to be ruined for ever and beyond human means of redemption (not that that's [/i]the president's[/i] fault at all, o/c) is or certainly should bloody well be leaving a very bad impression.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Especially since you, and me, would have a) valued lives over a city b) would not have quite bought the "alarmist propaganda" about the whole city potentially being lost to the ages...which is precisely what seems to be happening. Sad

You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's sorta difficult to do this without electrical power, government-sponsored phone systems and US and state highways. Let's face it, without massive government intervention, the "private community" can't - much less won't - do sh!t in an emergency. You need the gover'ment for that.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »

Even assuming Bush is deserving of criticism... couldn't it wait? I mean, the crisis is ongoing and not stopping in the near future. Until we can look back on it, it's impossible to render judgement.

Not that many of Bush's critics care one iota about things like the truth, honesty, etc.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 05:57:36 AM »

Recent poll shows that 96% of Democrats disapprove of "President" Bush's actions on Hurricane Katrina!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 07:09:37 AM »

Recent poll shows that 96% of Democrats disapprove of "President" Bush's actions on Hurricane Katrina!

HAHAHAHA . . . now that's funny and sad at the same time.  Too bad those polled have their heads shoved so far up their butts in partisanship to realize what has actually happened around them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 07:42:05 AM »

It was a joke; I was making fun of people who lump a few crazies as representative of all Democrats. Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 08:10:06 AM »

It was a joke; I was making fun of people who lump a few crazies as representative of all Democrats. Wink

hahaha . . . okie dokie.  I was about to say, talk about being messed up in the heads.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 10:33:46 AM »

I'd seen your post and was wondering, wtf? Maybe he's joking...but wasn't sure enough to comment. Smiley
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 10:35:25 AM »

Bush's response to the disaster has been underwhelming, to put it mildly.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 10:48:47 AM »

Bush's response to the disaster has been underwhelming, to put it mildly.

Why?  Because he's not there with his sleaves rolled up?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 10:59:25 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2005, 11:03:41 AM by Scoonie »

Because he has failed to respond in a quick and forceful manner. He didn't cancel his other appearances and spent the day after playing guitar:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050830/480/capm10208301856

And there are thousands and thousands of people in LA and MS who still are stranded without any help.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Anderson-Cooper-Where-is-the-help-Katrina.wmv
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 11:02:43 AM »

Because he has failed to respond in a quick and forceful manner. He didn't cancel his other appearances and spent the day after playing guitar:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050830/480/capm10208301856

And there are thousands and thousands of people in LA and MS who still are stranded without any help.

It is hard to respond in a quick and forceful manner when you have already put all the emergency response mechanisms into action before the disaster hits.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies