Sad Day for Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sad Day for Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sad Day for Democrats  (Read 1827 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »

I don't really care what Bush does, but a smarter president would at least give off the appearance that he cares.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 11:07:05 AM »

Because he has failed to respond in a quick and forceful manner. He didn't cancel his other appearances and spent the day after playing guitar:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050830/480/capm10208301856

And there are thousands and thousands of people in LA and MS who still are stranded without any help.

Let's see . . . he had already placed the response teams into action before the storm hit so the aid would be there on the spot, already had declared a state of emergency so funding would be available, and had the Coast Guard on alert before and during the storm.  That's a whole hell of a lot of planning and prep done before the storm hit.  There wasn't much that could have been done during the storm, so additional aid had to wait until after the storm passed.  Once the situation was assessed and the need for more aid was apparent, he declared a national emergency and have activated guardsmen and active duty military to be deployed to the region.  What more do you want?  We're talking about 5 states badly damaged by this one storm.  Because people did not heed a mandatory evacuation and has since died or becomed trapped, it's the Presidents fault?  Everyone said the city would be flooded when this storm hit, and that's exactly what happened.  Help will go to those that were dumb enough to stay behind, but it won't be instantaneous.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 11:10:21 AM »

I don't really care what Bush does, but a smarter president would at least give off the appearance that he cares.

So, you want to see him look reactionary.  Fortunately, when you plan for the initial emergency, it gives you time to plan out the follow-on response.  He will be down there tomorrow, and he has a joint session of Congress coming up next week (rumored) to address the nation about the need for a national response to aid the refugees as well as to manage a temporary short-fall in gas supplies in the US. 

I think he has given off a great appearance of caring just by all the pre-storm actions taken.  A President that didn't care would have waited till after the storm hit to act.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »

In all honesty if I lived in New Orleans I'd want Bush to STAY AWAY. I'd never want that worthless piece of sh!t tainting my city, regardless of what has happened. If a horrible event happened to my city, I wouldn't want things to be worse with such an awful human being visiting it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »

I think Bush's head will explode when he visits.  I don't think he realizes that poor people exist.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »

Ahhh, now we're back to the stupid posts I see . . .
RBH

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 01:20:46 PM »

To put it in a 'nice' way

In retrospect, it was a poor decision for the Republican Congress and Bush to approve cuts in funding to build up levees in New Orleans.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies