Give credit where credit is due...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:29:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Give credit where credit is due...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Give credit where credit is due...  (Read 3398 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:47:08 PM »
« edited: September 01, 2005, 07:52:37 PM by nickshepDEM »

Typically I dont praise WalMart, but I gotta give it to them here.  Their stores are being looted, they have probably lost millions upon millions because of Katrina, yet they still come through with 15 million+.

Following President Bush’s announcement today that former Presidents Bush and Clinton will lead a nationwide fundraising effort to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina, Wal-Mart President and CEO Lee Scott contacted President Clinton and the White House and committed $15 million from Wal-Mart to jump-start the effort. As part of this commitment, Wal-Mart will establish mini-Wal-Mart stores in areas impacted by the hurricane. Items such as clothing, diapers, baby wipes, food, formula, tootbrushes, bedding and water will be given out free of charge to those with a demonstrated need.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 10:18:36 PM »

Good for them.  Sounds very generous.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:25:50 PM »

I haven't heard this story before -but I'll take your word for it.

I never liked Walmart either, given their generally shoddy products compared to more high-end stores like Williams-Sonoma, and especially given their policies toward the establishment of unions, but I nonetheless salute them for making this gesture toward the victims of this disaster, despite the likelihood their stores in the affected area were looted by these same victims.   

And I would also like to say that those of us who are Democrats disassociate ourselves from Jfern and those like him who have tried to politicize this disaster.  He doesn't speak for us, and never will.   
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:28:46 PM »

Fifteen million is peanuts.  But maybe the looting will remind WalMart and the rest of the ruling class how thin the veneer of control is that they depend upon for their position.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 10:52:32 PM »

And I would also like to say that those of us who are Democrats disassociate ourselves from Jfern and those like him who have tried to politicize this disaster.  He doesn't speak for us, and never will.   

Quite wise words (and those of us on the "reasonable right" realize that), but he'll probably call you a "DINO."

I am frankly more worried about evacuation routes.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »

I agree.  This is good news and as always, any little bit helps.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 12:07:28 AM »

I never liked Walmart either, given their generally shoddy products compared to more high-end stores like Williams-Sonoma, and especially given their policies toward the establishment of unions, but I nonetheless salute them for making this gesture toward the victims of this disaster, despite the likelihood their stores in the affected area were looted by these same victims.   

Get a clue and change to blue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 12:13:28 AM »

Your partisan hackery is insane TX. I hope you really don't mean that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 12:14:57 AM »

Good for Wal-Mart.  Their past performance aside, this is a very good thing to do.  I highly suspect that the people affected by Katrina would much prefer to receive the $15 million than to hold a grudge against Wal-Mart, and at this point, they're the only ones who matter.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 12:17:50 AM »

What?
the fact that he feels the need to apologize for those of us with real opinions?
Just becaue you guys don't agree with JFern does not make his opinion any less relevant, if Frodo is so damned embarrassed to be a democrat then yes he should just switch to a republican.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:01:16 AM »

Typical Southern Democrat quote. Abandon liberals at the first chance you get so you can ingratiate yourselves to the ruling GOP. We're not going to give the Bushies a free pass, this is the same party that impeached a sitting president out of spite and sheer hatred, we'll never forgive that. Katrina has been a horrific disaster but life in this multi-party democracy goes on.

Jfern does speak for some of us, but you DINOs don't want anyone else to think that.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 01:03:24 AM »

Hahahaha, glad to hear JFraud is taken seriously by some people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 03:25:49 AM »

It's odd how some people like Frodo can't deal with outspoken Democrats, but don't seem to mind about people like MODO who wouldn't mind if New Orleans was completely destroyed, or various Republicans who would like it if a big earthquake hit San Francisco. It's funny how people confuse taking a strong stand against extremists with being an extremist. Time for the Neville Chamberlains  to get a clue.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 03:27:50 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2005, 03:33:10 AM by Senator-elect Porce »

What's your problem?  Why do you assume that every Democrat from the South is somehow not a valid member of the party?  I have as much right to speak my views as a Democrat as you do, as does Frodo.  I remember the time you called me a "Southern yokel" because you were too blind to accept the fact that people other than conservatives can oppose gay marriage.  You're a bigot.  What if Frodo was from New Hampshire or California or Michigan?  Would you use your blind anti Southern crap on him then?

I mean, seriously, people try to heal tensions between the regions (which I favor; the tensions are silly), but all you can do is alienate anyone from the South by insulting them.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 06:08:18 AM »

Over 30% of Kerry's votes came from the South.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »

What's your problem?  Why do you assume that every Democrat from the South is somehow not a valid member of the party?  I have as much right to speak my views as a Democrat as you do, as does Frodo.  I remember the time you called me a "Southern yokel" because you were too blind to accept the fact that people other than conservatives can oppose gay marriage.  You're a bigot.  What if Frodo was from New Hampshire or California or Michigan?  Would you use your blind anti Southern crap on him then?

I mean, seriously, people try to heal tensions between the regions (which I favor; the tensions are silly), but all you can do is alienate anyone from the South by insulting them.

You have a point I guess. By Southerner I also mean "conservative Democrat", since that type doesn't really exist in the Northeast. I just don't like it when conservative Democrats disparage liberal members of their own party, we should be more united like the GOP is. I am also suspicious of being sold out by Brad Carson/Phil Bredesen- type Dems, and yet I fear that w/o them we'll never get back into power.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 10:09:39 PM »

It's odd how some people like Frodo can't deal with outspoken Democrats, but don't seem to mind about people like MODO who wouldn't mind if New Orleans was completely destroyed, or various Republicans who would like it if a big earthquake hit San Francisco. It's funny how people confuse taking a strong stand against extremists with being an extremist. Time for the Neville Chamberlains  to get a clue.

So because some far-out Republican and/or conservative makes outrageous claims about liberals in relation to the disaster wrought by Hurricane Katrina, that we should somehow follow their example and do the same to them?

Is that your excuse?

What the hell kind of inane logic is that?  If anything, all you are really proving is that you are a Democrat without a conscience, principles or scruples, for whom nothing is sacred; willing to exploit the sufferings of the people of New Orleans for partisan gain. 

I would rather you join the Greens and afflict them instead with the kind of garbage you are peddling here ostensibly to help the party for whom you claim to be a member.       
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »

It's odd how some people like Frodo can't deal with outspoken Democrats, but don't seem to mind about people like MODO who wouldn't mind if New Orleans was completely destroyed, or various Republicans who would like it if a big earthquake hit San Francisco.

As Gabu has noted, that's a massive distortion of what MODU was saying.

What various Republicans would like it if a big earthquake hit San Francisco?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 10:14:09 PM »

So because some far-out Republican and/or conservative makes outrageous claims about liberals in relation to the disaster wrought by Hurricane Katrina, that we should somehow follow their example and do the same to them?

Is that your excuse?

What the hell kind of inane logic is that?  If anything, all you are really proving is that you are a Democrat without a conscience, principles or scruples, for whom nothing is sacred; willing to exploit the sufferings of the people of New Orleans for partisan gain. 

I would rather you join the Greens and afflict them instead with the kind of garbage you are peddling here ostensibly to help the party for whom you claim to be a member.       

Of course I have principles, and they include a better vision of America, and standing up to crazy right-wingers. You don't beat the Republicans by bending over for them.

What did you do to help the Democratic party in 2004? I volunteered, contributed, voted, and argued.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 10:15:24 PM »

What?
the fact that he feels the need to apologize for those of us with real opinions?
Just becaue you guys don't agree with JFern does not make his opinion any less relevant, if Frodo is so damned embarrassed to be a democrat then yes he should just switch to a republican.

You are a Green -since when did you somehow claim the moral authority to determine who should or shouldn't be a member of the party that you deserted?

Anyway, if all Democrats thought like Jfern, I would switch in a heart-beat.  Thankfully, there are those who still have a sense of common decency not to make partisan hay out of the disaster that this hurricane has wrought.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2005, 10:24:23 PM by Frodo »

Is that your excuse?

Of course I have principles, and they include a better vision of America, and standing up to crazy right-wingers. You don't beat the Republicans by bending over for them.

Any 'Democrat' who indulges in obscene partisan bickering over the latest natural disaster has no 'principles' to speak of. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I did the same, and I voted for Kerry/Edwards. 

Your point?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 11:00:45 PM »

I didn't look closely enough at what you typed when I responded earlier since most of what you have to offer is regurgitated DU talking points anyway, but would you mind substantiating the claims that I have highlighted?  Where exactly did MODU say what you claim he said, and please provide examples of Republicans who have specifically said that they would rejoice if a big earthquake hit San Francisco. 
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 11:03:16 PM »

I inferred nuclear explosion, but I believe I was the only one. Unless jfraud wasn't lying for once.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

I didn't look closely enough at what you typed when I responded earlier since most of what you have to offer is regurgitated DU talking points anyway, but would you mind substantiating the claims that I have highlighted?  Where exactly did MODU say what you claim he said, and please provide examples of Republicans who have specifically said that they would rejoice if a big earthquake hit San Francisco. 

MODO said he "wouldn't mind". As for the SF earthquake.

I hope a certain California Democrat is there to see it happen

And, so far as San Francisco... I'm not gonna lie, it's hard for me to get too upset. They don't even want to be part of the US- I say let mother Earth separate them.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 11:10:27 PM »

MODO said he "wouldn't mind". As for the SF earthquake.

I hope a certain California Democrat is there to see it happen

And, so far as San Francisco... I'm not gonna lie, it's hard for me to get too upset. They don't even want to be part of the US- I say let mother Earth separate them.

They why did you quote A18 and AUH2O?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies