How to help the people hit by Katrina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:58:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How to help the people hit by Katrina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: How to help the people hit by Katrina  (Read 8179 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »

Just called the Red Cross 20 minutes ago and donated money.

I will also possibly give some blood.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 09:12:54 PM »

Just called the Red Cross 20 minutes ago and donated money.

I will also possibly give some blood.

Good for both of you. Smiley  Everything helps.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2005, 09:14:18 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2005, 09:18:15 PM by Scoonie »

Damn, I wish I could afford to give that much. That was extremely generous of you!!
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »

I can't get through any of the Salvation Army's donation pages. Are there any good Christian charities available?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2005, 09:19:41 PM »

You can try calling by phone at:

1-800-SAL-ARMY

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/USNSAHome.htm
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »

You're a saint, man. Don't ever let me say anything bad about you (I don't think I ever have)!

By the way I just noticed your signature, and A. Whitney Brown posts at Daily Kos fairly regularly.  I once asked him if he really was the A. Whitney Brown from SNL and he said he was.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2005, 10:01:22 PM »

Too bad that the Dept. of Homeland Insecurity won't let the Redcross into New Orleans.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2005, 10:23:43 PM »

Too bad that the Dept. of Homeland Insecurity won't let the Redcross into New Orleans.

Can the Forum Moderator Please Delete That Previous Comment (and this one, too)?

Thanks
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2005, 10:26:44 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2005, 10:28:35 PM by jfern »

Can the Forum Moderator Please Delete That Previous Comment (and this one, too)?

Thanks

So you would rather not have people know that the Dept of Homeland Insecurity isn't allowing the Red Cross in? Any particular reason that you would like to censor this information?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2005, 10:32:59 PM »

Thanks

So you would rather not have people know that the Dept of Homeland Insecurity isn't allowing the Red Cross in? Any particular reason that you would like to censor this information?

Well, for one, it's not appropriate for this topic.

Second, it was the NOLA that told them not to come prior to the storm.

Wow, JFRAUD screwed up twice in one post.  Too bad it it should be deleted (along with this one).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2005, 11:26:26 PM »

For fern:  The Red Cross cannot be let into a disaster area without it being 100% secure.  You can decide for yourself whether this is the correct policy, but it is the policy.  Please keep your other partisan nonsense out of this thread.

For Alcon:  I would like to request that this thread be stickied up at the top of this board and quite frankly that a thread that links organizations like the Red Cross, Salvation Army etc., should be stickied up on all forums.

As for me, I donated $100 to the Red Cross today; unfortunately it's all I can afford right now.  I wish I could afford more, but I'm sure my family and friends will. 

I hope and request that everyone will contribute at least something to this disaster and stop the finger-pointing.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2005, 12:07:50 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2005, 12:11:14 AM by Senator Gabu »

For Alcon:  I would like to request that this thread be stickied up at the top of this board and quite frankly that a thread that links organizations like the Red Cross, Salvation Army etc., should be stickied up on all forums.

Supersoulty is the moderator for this board, not Alcon.

I would agree that that would probably be a good idea.  I didn't want to suggest it myself, though, because I thought it would look like I was whoring for attention. Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2005, 12:16:07 AM »

I'm selfish, I'v donated $0.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2005, 12:21:52 AM »

Hey, if you don't want to do anything to help, that's your business, but if you don't, then you shouldn't say a word of criticism towards Bush or anyone else for their handling of this situation, because it's in your own power to do something about it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2005, 12:24:33 AM »

The proletariat be damned, huh?  Btw, Do you still fashion yourself a Maoist?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2005, 01:34:59 AM »

I would agree that that would probably be a good idea.  I didn't want to suggest it myself, though, because I thought it would look like I was whoring for attention. Smiley

I'm sorry, that's Supersoulty.  Since I don't get my posts pulled (ever), I tend to not remember who runs which forum to complain about.

Not like you Gabu, of course.  Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2005, 01:42:16 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2005, 11:25:42 AM by phknrocket1k »

The proletariat be damned, huh?  Btw, Do you still fashion yourself a Maoist?

No I'm a proud Republican. I don't give a  if some idiot in New Orleans is "struggling", he needs to lift himself up through boostraps.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2005, 03:54:05 AM »

I'm sorry, that's Supersoulty.  Since I don't get my posts pulled (ever), I tend to not remember who runs which forum to complain about.

Not like you Gabu, of course.  Smiley

I'm such a troublemaker. Smiley

Also:

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2005, 07:49:25 AM »

I just donated $500 to the Katrina relief efforts through the American Red Cross.  I hope they use it well.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2005, 05:01:46 PM »

I just donated $500 to the Katrina relief efforts through the American Red Cross.  I hope they use it well.

Well done. Smiley

(shameless bump to get this over the mounds of other topics)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2005, 06:03:20 PM »

bumping yet again...
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 11:57:19 PM »

Extremely generous of you!! Thank you.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2005, 12:00:04 AM »

It was really the least I could do.  I feel guilty sitting here in comfort, enjoying the beautiful weather, while so many of my fellow Americans are suffering so terribly.

My sister works for the state police in Vermont, and she was involved in organizing and dispatching a convoy of supplies and officers from Vermont to help with the relief and rescue effort.  She is more involved than I, but I did what I could.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2005, 12:04:56 AM »

Indeed, wish I could afford to donate that much, but I'm a college student on a budget. Tongue Still, I gave $5, and it looked like the jar I put it in was pretty full so I'm thinking there was at least $500 in it(all from college students), and they probably collected more after that, so I'd say our campus is doing it's part. Ga Tech is also taking in a number of students from some New Orleans university, and I think a few will even be taking classes here for the rest of the semester.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2005, 12:09:00 AM »

Indeed, wish I could afford to donate that much, but I'm a college student on a budget. Tongue Still, I gave $5, and it looked like the jar I put it in was pretty full so I'm thinking there was at least $500 in it(all from college students), and they probably collected more after that, so I'd say our campus is doing it's part. Ga Tech is also taking in a number of students from some New Orleans university, and I think a few will even be taking classes here for the rest of the semester.

It's not how much you give in money, but how much of a sacrifice it took for you to give it.  As I said earlier, I hope the money is wisely used.  That's always my biggest fear -- that well-meaning donations somehow get misused or wasted.

In the end, I don't think money will be a big problem.  Plenty of money will flow in in due course.  But all the money in the world right now doesn't help the person trapped on his roof,  not having had food or drink for a few days.  I hope the relief efforts have finally started rolling well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies