Should roads be privitized? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:15:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should roads be privitized? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should roads be privitized?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Should roads be privitized?  (Read 5742 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« on: September 02, 2005, 04:15:10 PM »

I agree with Dean's "good luck trying".  Although in theory they could be, I think this issue is so far down the road (excuse the pun) that the difference between private and public would be almost insignifigant.  We have much more important priorities as to what to privatize.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 01:14:38 AM »

Well, I wouldn't mind buying the street that my house sits on just so that I can use it to block traffic and give everyone a hard time. People can always take another street, even if it adds an additional ten minutes onto their travel time. I mean, it's just like a board game! Annoying people is fun!!!

[/sarcasm]

I hate to take the point counter to the extreme free market position, but Everett has a point.  If there's a highway and an owner buys it from the goverment and doesn't want anyone on it, he could keep the road all to himself.  This would prevent many people from getting where they want, and cause an inconvinience in trying to find another route.  However You could have public roads and have the private sector charge money to maintain them.  Although I hate being moderate, I think this stance might work alright.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 11:37:59 PM »

Well, I wouldn't mind buying the street that my house sits on just so that I can use it to block traffic and give everyone a hard time. People can always take another street, even if it adds an additional ten minutes onto their travel time. I mean, it's just like a board game! Annoying people is fun!!!

[/sarcasm]

I hate to take the point counter to the extreme free market position, but Everett has a point.  If there's a highway and an owner buys it from the goverment and doesn't want anyone on it, he could keep the road all to himself.  This would prevent many people from getting where they want, and cause an inconvinience in trying to find another route.  However You could have public roads and have the private sector charge money to maintain them.  Although I hate being moderate, I think this stance might work alright.

What?  That's crazy.  The free market will solve anything!  ANYTHING!!!

Tongue

Well, as a general rule, it is a good principle to believe in.  But hey Gabu, I mean, I spout supposed extreme postions and I'm called a crazy libertarian.  I try going more moderate and I still get flak.  I think I'll give up every opinion I have on economics and become a "pragmatist" moderate with a 0.00 compass score, but first I have to follow a trend and move to Louisiana-nah, everyone's doin' that.  Mississippi got hit pretty hard, I'll go MS.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies