Pledge of Allegiance Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:25:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pledge of Allegiance Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pledge of Allegiance Bill  (Read 5466 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: September 02, 2005, 02:11:27 PM »

Pledge of Allegiance Bill

1. There shall be no officially sanctioned pledge of allegiance to Atlasia, its flag, or its government that shall be given or suggested to private citizens to recite in or on the grounds of any public institution, including, but not limited to, public schools.

2. The content of section 1 shall not be construed to illegalize oaths of office given to individuals who have been elected or appointed to a government position. Oaths of office in all cases shall remain untouched and shall continue to be required before any government service shall commence.

Sponsor: Sen. Gabu
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 10:21:03 AM »

The question is on the motion to table the bill (reject without debate). All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.

I would urge the Senate to vote No, so that it may debate the issue before coming to a final decision.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 07:51:01 AM »

One Senator is absent. With five Nays, the motion to table is defeated.

I would advise the Senate that the motion to table should be used only to dispose of frivolous legislation (e.g., Nasolation), not bills that one disagrees with. I thank Senators Defarge, Al, Ebowed, Gabu, and Colin for agreeing with me in this.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:47:41 PM »

Perhaps we may commence debating this bill, and those who oppose it may give their reasons.

I feel that there is absolutely no need for a federally sanctioned pledge of allegiance. It is said by the proponents of the pledge that it allows citizens to express their patriotism. But, why is it necessary for the federal government to sanction one particular means of expressing patriotism? I'm sure that the People can express their patriotism quite freely, and on their own, without the federal government telling them which way is the "correct" way.

Do the opponents of this bill fear that the People will suddenly become unpatriotic if the pledge is no longer sanctioned? I would think that the People would not: the patriotism of our citizenry is based not on a few words, but on their actual feelings, their actual thoughts, their actual sentiments. I think that, to a true patriot, there would be no need for the government to sanction a pledge of allegiance: he would remain faithful to his country, regardless of the official status of some particular sentence.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 07:07:16 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2005, 07:18:53 PM by Emsworth »

The pledge acts as a tool to remind people that they are Americans, with the rights and responsibilities of Americans.
I assert that it does no such thing. Any value it may have to children has been diminished to nothing or nearly nothing by the daily, almost mindless repetition of the pledge in schools. As to adults, it shouldn't matter, as almost all of them don't say the pledge regularly anyway.

In any event, I would have hoped that the patriotism of the Atlasian People is strong enough to exist on its own, to stand without the crutch of a series of words.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You are free to address that issue at the regional level, Jake. With all due respect, the federal government is not concerned here.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 07:39:37 PM »

No, the issues are closely related. Not only are children expected and required to learn it, unlike the pledge, but they will fail if they don't regurgitate the government mandated curriculum.
As I said, the curriculum is a regional issue, not a federal one.

The pledge is not being banned. You can say it, the regions can still recognize it, and schools can still require it. The federal government will not, however, recognize any pledge as official if this bill passes: I see no harm whatsoever in it.

Even though the pledge was written in the 1800s, there was no federally-sanctioned pledge until 1942, with no adverse effects whatsoever.

Those aren't grounds for voting this bill down, though.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 02:26:44 PM »

People are saying it's forcing you to be patritotic. It's not you don't have to say it if you don't want to.
Most school students would disagree.

Correct, but why is it necessary for the government to officially sanction it? While the pledge has been around since the 1800s, people managed to be perfectly patriotic without it being sanctioned until 1942.

We're not getting rid of anything. We are merely reverting to the pre-1942 situation, in which the government did not attempt to legislate how people should express their patriotism.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 02:53:08 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 03:02:07 PM by Emsworth »

Just stop trying to take away our option to say the pledge the when and way it is now.
Where have I done that? I am not in the habit of supporting bills that restrict the freedom of speech. Perhaps, you could point out how this bill is taking away someone's right to say whatever he pleases.

I don't accept your premise. By that line of reasoning, a man shouldn't try to get rid of abortions, because they don't affect him. By that line of reasoning, a white person shouldn't try to get rid of anti-black discrimination, because it doesn't affect him. By that line of reasoning, a clergyman shouldn't try to get rid of gay marriage, because it doesn't affect him.

(Please note that I am only making the comparison to consider the merits of your line of reasoning; I am not saying, for example, that the pledge is like abortion.)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 03:25:14 PM by Emsworth »

You're trying to take away the pledge which means that it won't be said anymore which means you're taking away peoples rights to say it the way it is at the time it is now.
No, that's a misinterpretation of this bill. What clause in the bill changes anything with regard to schools? Education is a regional issue; the bill obviously cannot have any effect in schools, unless regional governments provide otherwise.

The national anthem is more symbolic, like the national flower or the national bird. It is not an affirmation of allegiance like the pledge.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 02:06:53 PM »

As this is a controversial issue, I will not be too rigid in enforcing time limits for debate. Are there any further speeches to be made?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 05:52:42 PM »

Okay, in that case:

The question is on final passage of the bill. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, No.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 09:16:21 PM »

Why do you think we should have an officially sanctioned pledge, Senator?

It's kind of hard to explain.  I don't know, it's just an issue I feel kind of strongly about.  I think it creates national unity.
I don't mean to start the whole debate all over again, now that voting has begun, but I'm sure that national unity did not suddenly improve when the pledge was sanctioned in 1942. Also, it probably prompts some disunity among polytheists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and the like.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 02:46:39 PM »

With five Ayes, three noes, and one abstention, the bill has enough support to pass. Senators have 24 hours to vote or change their votes.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 02:59:38 PM »

There have voted:
Aye: 5
No: 3
Abstain: 2

The bill is therefore passed, and presented to the President for his signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies