Protection of the Right to Bear Arms Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:28:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Protection of the Right to Bear Arms Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protection of the Right to Bear Arms Bill  (Read 2199 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: September 04, 2005, 05:39:52 AM »

I urge both my senators to vote against this bill, although I know you won't Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 06:19:17 AM »

Section 1-does this interere with regional gun laws? If so, would regions be able to pass a law in the future banning gun ownership?

Section 2-This can ONLY come into effect, imho, if the gun industry is banned from ALL advertisement-think cigarette companies. NO sponsorships, NO merchandising, NO print or television ads. As long as the product is being promoted, especially weapons promoted with suggestions of killing capacity, then manufacturers of firearms, bulletts, etc. should and ust be liable.

I don't support gun industry protection full stop, but I believe that is a fair concession.

Section 3: Whilst I do not support this section, And urge that it isn't passed, it is not as important to me as the first two sections.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 06:27:50 AM »

I'm especially concerned about advertisements that relate to killing capacity.

And the knives argument is a bloody stawman, and you know it. Guns are good for shooting live people or animals or whatever; there is nothing that could ever be essential about them. Knives not only can be essential, but aren't designed to kill-although they do have that ability, sure. The problems with the knife argument are many, but just two basic ones: 1. Knives can't kill you from 200m away. 2. Knives aren't designed to kill.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 06:39:29 AM »

your questioning of 'reasonably' presents huge legal issues, Bono, most specifically relating to "Beyond Reasonable Doubt". What do you feel about that? (actually, this thread might not be the best place for that. Maybe Pol. Debate?)

Ebowed-that's not essential, you can cull with bloody spears for gods sake.

Self defence with guns is only an issue if the other person has a gun. Whilst I know America is so riddled with t-o-d, i dont think the cycle should be perpetuated.

and 'lethal' knives have uses beyond killing-maybe not swords, but machetes, cutting knives, etc. They should be banned outside of private property, but ownership should be allowed.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 06:53:18 AM »

i'm not encouraging them, im just saying guns aren't essential.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies