Reforming Social Security Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reforming Social Security Bill  (Read 2757 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2005, 02:14:53 PM »

1. The Thrift Savings Plan is hereby amended to include "Lifecycle Funds." Lifecycle funds will be instated under the provisions provided by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board in this report.

2. A program is hereby implemented that explores the idea of extending the benefits and privileges of the Thrift Savings Plan to the general populace.
     a. The said plan shall be first implemented on a trial basis with 500 randomly selected volunteers for each of the G, S, C, F, I, and L funds.
     b. This trial shall last for a duration of 12 months (3 years regular time), with a report being made every 6 months to the Senate by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.
     c. At any time before or after the 12 month deadline of the trial, the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia shall further explore the idea of extending the Thrift Savings Plan to the general public.
     d. If a plan is enacted extending the Thrift Savings Plan to the general populace it must include the following restrictions:
          i. The plan shall replace the Social Security benefits of any participant.
          ii. It shall not be required for any person to invest in the Thrift Savings Plan.
          iii. The plan shall be implemented over a period of twenty years under the guidance of the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, with no participant being over the age of 50 at the time the plan is implemented.

Sponsor: Sen. True Independent
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 02:17:42 PM »

I would just like to post some links that would better explain this program.

http://www.tsp.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrift_Savings_Plan

http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/usc/ttl5/ptIII/subptG/ch84/subchIII/index.html

http://www.govexec.com/careers/thrift/tspfunds.htm

http://www.tsp.gov/features/chapter01.html#sub1
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:52:28 AM »

Bump for debate.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »

Would TI perhaps start debate by explaining the bill, its purposes, and its potential benefits, so that we may analyze it more closely?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 11:52:10 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 12:36:11 PM by Senator True Independent »

As we all know, social security needs to be fixed within the next forty years or so (I don't know the exact statistics).  Some options are to cut benefits, raise the retirement age, raise taxes, or completely privatize the system.  I believe there are flaws in all of these systems.

The Thrift Savings Plan is in my opinion the  best solution.  Basically, from what I understand, this program is used for government employees.  The government gives a certain amount of money to a person, and there are different plans they invest it in.

The G, S, C, F, and I plans were created before the creation of Atlasia.  However, the L plan was created earlier this year in the U.S.  That is the reason for the first clause.

To make sure this system works, I have put in clause which puts it on a trial basis for a couple of hundred people to gauge results on the general population.

I also believe this plan should be compeletely optional.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 06:07:18 PM »

I think the most logical way to fix social security is by increasing the retirement age.  Our society can simply not afford to support a large non-working population.  If people are living longer, they're going to have to work at least a bit longer too, unless there is a dramatic increase in productivity.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »

I think the most logical way to fix social security is by increasing the retirement age.  Our society can simply not afford to support a large non-working population.  If people are living longer, they're going to have to work at least a bit longer too, unless there is a dramatic increase in productivity.

First of all, this is supposed to simulate reality, and the retirement age would never be raised in the real world.  Second of all, this will only delay the necessary reform.  I believe my bill will make social security last much longer.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 06:54:36 PM »

First of all, this is supposed to simulate reality, and the retirement age would never be raised in the real world.
No, I don't think that this is necessarily the case. The retirement age has been raised in the past.

Also, deviating from the mistakes of reality is not something that should be opposed. Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 07:55:22 PM »

First of all, this is supposed to simulate reality, and the retirement age would never be raised in the real world.
No, I don't think that this is necessarily the case. The retirement age has been raised in the past.

Also, deviating from the mistakes of reality is not something that should be opposed. Smiley

What is your opinion on the bill Mr. Vice-President?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 07:57:44 PM »

The bill is a trial bill, and is generally a very good idea. Obviously, my opinion on the actual idea would depend on the specific results of the trial (which could probably be provided by the GM after some time).
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 07:40:56 PM »

Can Sam Spade confirm he'll come up with results eventually?  No point in wasting the senate's time on a bill if the sole result depends on a GM who has no idea this bill exists.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 12:27:03 PM »

Can Sam Spade confirm he'll come up with results eventually?  No point in wasting the senate's time on a bill if the sole result depends on a GM who has no idea this bill exists.

I can promise that I will give a report of the findings in six months and then a main report in 12 months, according to the stipulations of this bill.

Hopefully, I will also continue to be GM by that time, though obviously I can't promise that 100%.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »

I can promise that I will give a report of the findings in six months and then a main report in 12 months, according to the stipulations of this bill.

Hopefully, I will also continue to be GM by that time, though obviously I can't promise that 100%.

Should I shorten the time period in Atlasia (and pretend more real time has passed)?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 08:51:27 PM »

I propose this amendment:

Section Two, Clause B is hereby changed to:

b. This trial shall last for a duration of 3 months, with a report being made every month to the Senate by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.

If this is passed, Clause C would also have to be changed, but I don't beleive that would need an amendment.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 09:06:23 PM »

Should I shorten the time period in Atlasia (and pretend more real time has passed)?

I don't know, because I don't write legislation any more.  It's entirely up to you, though I would obviously prefer to have to do less work less often.  Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 07:19:40 AM »

I propose this amendment:

Section Two, Clause B is hereby changed to:

b. This trial shall last for a duration of 3 months, with a report being made every month to the Senate by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.
The question is on the above amendment. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 09:05:10 AM »

Aye
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 10:55:15 AM »

Aye
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 02:33:27 PM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 03:51:28 PM »

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 04:46:29 PM »

Aye
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 05:00:08 PM »

With six Ayes, the amendment is passed.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 09:09:49 PM »

Aye FTR.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 06:54:55 PM »

Is there any further debate on this bill?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies