DU Compassion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:42:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  DU Compassion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DU Compassion  (Read 3955 times)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 08:22:55 PM »

I'd love to bitchslap that guy with a waffle. <_< Tongue Wink Just joking.

What a schmuck, anyways.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 10:57:39 PM »

It's freeperville left, what did you expect?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2005, 05:08:12 AM »

What the first guy did was incredibly stupid, but at least he now shows some remorse for that split-second bad decision.  The second guy just needs to be beaten with a shovel.

^^^
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2005, 05:45:36 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4582698

Sickening, there are folks like htis on the extreme right of course, but the viseral hatred that you find on the extreme left sometimes seems even worse in its intensity Sad
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2005, 05:56:12 AM »

I think whoever is out of power at the time is worse, myself.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2005, 06:01:09 AM »

Sickening, there are folks like htis on the extreme right of course, but the viseral hatred that you find on the extreme left sometimes seems even worse in its intensity Sad

I considered such a thought, but then I realized that the extreme right is the side that has the religious nuts telling the people of New Orleans that they incurred God's wrath through their sinful behavior, and thus that they themselves are at fault for Hurricane Katrina.  I really don't think the extreme left can top that one, although they certainly try.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2005, 06:03:18 AM »

Oh I think that saying that the hurricane was a direct result of Bush not adopting Kyoto is pretty ****ing bad myself...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2005, 06:04:34 AM »

Oh I think that saying that the hurricane was a direct result of Bush not adopting Kyoto is pretty ****ing bad myself...

Like I said, they certainly try.  I just don't think that blaming Bush is quite as bad as blaming the people that are currently dying and suffering so badly.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2005, 06:05:53 AM »

there can be an argument that global warming intensifies hurricanes, and whilst it's a silly and long bow to stretch, I think "God's wrath" pulls it further...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2005, 06:09:52 AM »

there can be an argument that global warming intensifies hurricanes

I don't think there's just an argument; it's pretty much a 100% sure thing that global warming will intensify hurricanes, given the nature of how they form and what fuels them.  The part that isn't crystal clear (at least in some of the people's minds; I've personally been finding the evidence more and more compelling the more I see) is whether or not that global warming is something, firstly, that humans are even responsible for at all and, secondly, that humans can easily stop just through cutting greenhouse gas emissions or what have you.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2005, 06:19:38 AM »

Like I said, they certainly try.  I just don't think that blaming Bush is quite as bad as blaming the people that are currently dying and suffering so badly.

Oh true, true. But before long I suspect you'll see the people in coastal MS being blamed for voting for Bush... Roll Eyes
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2005, 06:22:03 AM »

read thrugh that thread on DU, Al...Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2005, 06:27:25 AM »

Oh Sad
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2005, 10:23:06 PM »

extremists on both sides are usually pretty sh**t people, yeah.

Thanxalot, purveyor of the stereotype!
danwxman

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2005, 01:44:27 AM »

I don't understand what the point of this was. I see just as bad, if not worse statements on FreeRepublic.

They are both extremist sites, IMO.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2005, 02:09:20 AM »

Does this suprise anyone?  The people on the DU are worthless Oxygen theives.  They kick off anyone who does not hate with the same degree they do.
This is a heavily ironic statement, Soulty.  Yes, they are hateful people, but calling them worthless Oxygen thieves is stooping to their level.

I guess you don't believe in repentance or remorse.  You sound so much like this guy it's scary:

Oh come on, DU isn't representative of all liberals.  The thread title is not "liberal compassion," it's "DU Compassion."

1)  You may well be right, but the difference is that I reserve those feelings for the truely dispicable, whereas this man made that poor woman and here child pay without even knowing a single thing about them, other than she happened to have a "W" sticker on her minivan.  What if this had been in New Orleans and these people were trying to escape from the hurricane.  Would he have driven past her then?  I dare say that it is not out of the realm of possibility, judging by what we know of him.

2) I certainly do believe in those things, but does this event mark some sort of attitudinal change for this guy?  I doubt it, because I checked and he is still posting hate on DU.  I don't care if he feels bad about it.  The point is that he allowed his own feelings of compassion for someone be reversed into rage by something as trivial as a damn sticker, a difference of oppinion.  That is what really burns me.  I don't understand how anyone can be so cruel over such a matter and I see an act such as this as being more cruel than simply driving by her and not thinking of stoping.  To me, this is like rushing to grab someone who is about to fall off of a cliff, but pulling your hand back at the last second, because you see that they have the Star of David around their neck. 

Damn it, if he had done that, no one would excuse his actions.  Usually, when people are truely sorry for something, they would change their ways.  I tracked down this post on DU.  Looked at the authors other posts and I see no change.  Not only that, but the behavior is only being reenforced by the people around him.  If he really wanted to avoid this, he would leave.

"If your right hand causes you to sin, then cut it off".  Well, if the extremeists that you surround yourself with cause you to commit to actions like this, then cut them off.

I never said anything like "Those who do not support Bush are not even human".  What I will say is that being compassionate is a imtriguel part of what it means to be human and these extremeists have no compassion.

3) Well, all these people certainly call themselves liberals, so there seems to be a bit of a conflict of language here.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2005, 02:21:31 AM »

Then, of course, there is always this gem of a quote:

NCevilDUer  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-02-05 02:13 PM
Response to Reply #17
42. The difference between us and them is
 when we do the wrong thing, we do feel guilty about it.

They never do.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2005, 02:36:16 AM »

Re: points 1 and 2, I wasn't defending the guy, Soulty.  I only posted it because I was so disgusted myself.  I am ashamed that these people are masquerading as Democrats.

Re: point 3, they may call themselves liberals but they are just hateful.  Much like people who blame Katrina on homosexuals... I assume they call themselves conservative for the most part, too.  We both know that's not representative of conservatism.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2005, 02:47:28 AM »

Re: points 1 and 2, I wasn't defending the guy, Soulty.  I only posted it because I was so disgusted myself.  I am ashamed that these people are masquerading as Democrats.

I didn't think you were, I was just stating the reasoning behind my reaction and explaining that my comments about them are not nearly at par with the type of anger and hatred that they feel for Bush and everyone who supports him.  They simply hate, without discrimination, all those who disagree with them.  I am disgusted by them because of this, not because I disagree with there politics.  Not only that, but I refrain from using the word hate because of it's deep conotation, whereas they seem to wear it like a badge of honor.

Unfortunatly, these people do represent a small segment of conservatives.  I understand this to be true.  I am just as disgusted with them, I assure you.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2005, 03:00:47 AM »

I'm not disgusted with all DUers, but some of them can be deplorable.  We have our reasonable moderates and there are the nut cases on there.
Carey
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.38, S: -5.74

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2005, 07:03:18 AM »

Actually to be fair, there is quite some disgusting filth on the freerepublic.com forum, some of which are making fun of the fact that some of the survivors were to poor to evacuate...

Not that that makes these these DUers right, but my point is there are radical nutjobs on both sides, and each are as disgusting as the other...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2005, 08:39:42 AM »

Agreed... and good to see you again Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies