DU Compassion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  DU Compassion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DU Compassion  (Read 3901 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2005, 02:36:23 AM »

Note: I think "Bush" is filtered on DU so that an asterisk appears instead.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4582698
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 02:39:43 AM »

Who cares?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 02:49:00 AM »

You don't find it sickening?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 02:50:57 AM »

No. Most people wouldn't have even thought of stopping.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 03:00:18 AM »

If someone had posted this about a Republican, you would have quoted it and sarcastically called them a "compassionate conservative."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 03:00:50 AM »

It's not the fact that most people wouldn't stop; I think it would be wrong not to stop even if nobody ever did so.  But seriously, you aren't bothered by the reason he didn't stop?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 03:02:42 AM »

Ugh.  Anyone who considers the recipient's political slant when considering the possibility of being charitable to someone in need is in dire need of a slap to the face.  There are many things more important in life than hatred towards people who disagree with you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 03:08:23 AM »

If someone had posted this about a Republican, you would have quoted it and sarcastically called them a "compassionate conservative."

Ummm, no.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 03:09:37 AM »

It's not the fact that most people wouldn't stop; I think it would be wrong not to stop even if nobody ever did so.  But seriously, you aren't bothered by the reason he didn't stop?

Unless this was in the middle of nowhere, it didn't really matter.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 03:10:58 AM »

Ugh.  Anyone who considers the recipient's political slant when considering the possibility of being charitable to someone in need is in dire need of a slap to the face.  There are many things more important in life than hatred towards people who disagree with you.

This is no worse than not stopping to help some woman because you don't think she's cute enough.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 03:15:41 AM »

This is no worse than not stopping to help some woman because you don't think she's cute enough.

Not being worse than something else does not make it less worse in absolute terms.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 03:17:17 AM »

Not being worse than something else does not make it less worse in absolute terms.

Really it's not a bit deal, and doesn't compare at all to what the other side does. Oh, no, maybe she had to wait another 3 minutes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 03:29:57 AM »

Really it's not a bit deal, and doesn't compare at all to what the other side does. Oh, no, maybe she had to wait another 3 minutes.

No, I agree that it isn't, but given that this topic is about this specific event and not about something that the other side is doing, I'm addressing this event.  If someone from, say, Free Republic did something like this, I would give the exact same response.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 03:34:33 AM »

No, I agree that it isn't, but given that this topic is about this specific event and not about something that the other side is doing, I'm addressing this event.  If someone from, say, Free Republic did something like this, I would give the exact same response.

I can see it now. "Not only did Bush let thousands die in Lousiana, but one of his supporters wouldn't give me a lift."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 04:51:31 AM »

It's the second post that irritates me. The first post is understandable to a point; some people really can't stand to be in a room-or car-with a group of people, rightly or wrongly. Plus thwere was a certain feeling of guilt and compassion.

The second one reminds me of the fat sweater balding white men in movies about racism in the 50's and 60's in the south. Just a disgusting kinda person, and no better then anyone else with such hateful beliefs. And then he goes and says the woman has hateful beliefs! *irritated*
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 04:53:11 AM »

What the first guy did was incredibly stupid, but at least he now shows some remorse for that split-second bad decision.  The second guy just needs to be beaten with a shovel.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »

Compassionate communist.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 12:39:58 PM »

I feel sorry for these people that could get over politics to help someone.  I'm conservative but if I saw someone needing help I don't think I would be able to just drive past . even if they had an Communist party bumper sticker.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 12:49:04 PM »

Does this suprise anyone?  The people on the DU are worthless Oxygen theives.  They kick off anyone who does not hate with the same degree they do.

Anyway, why is anyone making any excuses for either of them?  "The first guy feels sorry for it".  So what?  The idea that anyone's basic sense of human compassion and respect for human dignity could be turned off so quickly by something like that makes them less than human.

I thought that the essense of being "Liberal" was to have respect for the value of the individual.  Well, we can all see that that isn't true.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »

Does this suprise anyone?  The people on the DU are worthless Oxygen theives.  They kick off anyone who does not hate with the same degree they do.
This is a heavily ironic statement, Soulty.  Yes, they are hateful people, but calling them worthless Oxygen thieves is stooping to their level.

I guess you don't believe in repentance or remorse.  You sound so much like this guy it's scary:

Oh come on, DU isn't representative of all liberals.  The thread title is not "liberal compassion," it's "DU Compassion."
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 05:50:40 PM »

Oh come on, DU isn't representative of all liberals.  The thread title is not "liberal compassion," it's "DU Compassion."

LOL LIBERALISM AT WORK ON THE HIGHWAY
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 05:53:51 PM »

LOL LIBERALISM AT WORK ON THE HIGHWAY

LIBERALISM - NOT ALWAYS GIVING YOU A LIFT - OH NOES!!!!!!
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 07:50:49 PM »

Accusations that Bush "didn't react with sufficient timing" because of the high proportion of Black victims are perhaps the worst.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 08:07:50 PM »

How many of us have a friend or family member who supported the opposite party or candidate last election?  I have several, and I guess that goes for most all of us.

I just have to wonder what it's like to live so isolated from the other half of this country that you wouldn't even show basic human decency to one of "them".
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 08:14:29 PM »

extremists on both sides are usually pretty sh**t people, yeah.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies