Would you support an ammendment banning AK47s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:54:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you support an ammendment banning AK47s?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support an ammendment banning AK47s?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Would you support an ammendment banning AK47s?  (Read 2554 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2005, 05:12:15 AM »

The national guard has confirmed that many looters were armed with AK47s. Now can anyone tell me why somebody needs an AK47 for peaceful use? (good gun owners do use it for protection of their homes)

Every American has the right to own a gun. This is a large country and people have to protect themselves from thiefs in rural areas. The majority of rural communities tend to police themselves so i would never support an ammendment banning guns so does this society need a market for ak47s?

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 05:13:43 AM »

yes, if it woul;dn't hurt the chances of an amendment banning other guns suceeding.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 05:17:11 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2005, 05:18:47 AM by Governor Mordac »

To shoot holes in beer kegs.
Why? because it's fun.

Plus, AK47 aren't really that good when it comes to it. Ak-74s are a different matter.
And of course they should not be illegalized. YOu just said every american has the right to own a gun.
Plus, if Ak-47s are illegalized they will just buy H&Ks.
MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 05:18:43 AM »

Why? because it's fun.

i pray to god that someone comes up with a better reason
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 05:21:21 AM »

No, I would not.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 05:21:29 AM »

Why? because it's fun.

Plus, AK47 aren't really that good when it comes to it. Ak-74s are a different matter.
And of course they should not be illegalized. YOu just said every american has the right to own a gun.
Plus, if Ak-47s are illegalized they will just buy H&Ks.

All guns more powerful then AK47s would logically be banned, too. Although, when has logic ever come into politics? Tongue
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 05:23:24 AM »

Why? because it's fun.

I was obviously joking, but here are two reasons why you may need an automatic weapons(those registered after 1986 are already illegal, btw):
if you are being attacked by a gang, and only have a semi auto shoot, chances are some will get yto you before you shoot them all. An effective submachinegun could allow you to take them all out with a blast. Another reason is that if someone is entering your house in the night, effectively hitting the target wiith just one bullet can be difficult, especially a hit good enough to imobilize him before any harm could be done unto you. Auto fire could allow for better deterrance.
MissCatholic

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 05:25:54 AM »

Why? because it's fun.

I was obviously joking, but here are two reasons why you may need an automatic weapons(those registered after 1986 are already illegal, btw):
if you are being attacked by a gang, and only have a semi auto shoot, chances are some will get yto you before you shoot them all. An effective submachinegun could allow you to take them all out with a blast. Another reason is that if someone is entering your house in the night, effectively hitting the target wiith just one bullet can be difficult, especially a hit good enough to imobilize him before any harm could be done unto you. Auto fire could allow for better deterrance.

can an american citizen buy explosives (grenades)?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 05:28:08 AM »

Why? because it's fun.

Do you want to blow a grenade in your house?
I think with a class three license you can.
MissCatholic

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 05:44:14 AM »

Why? because it's fun.

Do you want to blow a grenade in your house?
I think with a class three license you can.

i have some stuff that i don't need but want to get rid off. Some of it is said to be UNBREAKABLE. Now i don't like things stating clear facts so i was thinking of trying to blow these things up and see if they are unbreakable. I get bored sometimes!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 09:24:41 AM »

I'm going to point out that you cannot legally own a fully automatic weapon without a Federal license, which also needs the approval of local authorities.

Does anybody think these AK-47's were legally purchased?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 11:18:45 AM »

I'm going to point out that you cannot legally own a fully automatic weapon without a Federal license, which also needs the approval of local authorities.

and it has to had been registered before 1986, which in fact creates a finite supply, which is why they cost so much.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »

Yes I would.  You don't need one to shoot a deer.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 05:36:44 PM »

However, in the events of foreign invasion or need to rebel against the government, as unlikely as they are at this juncture, they could be very useful.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 07:36:43 PM »

Does anybody think these AK-47's were legally purchased?

Thank you for pointing out what I hoped would be obvious to everyone. These people didn't lawfully obtain these guns so a ban, no matter if its a constitutional amendment or not, would have no bearing upon them. If you're already a criminal one more crime, ie obtaining an assault rifle without a federal permit, is nothing to you since you have, probably, nothing to lose at that point. Seriously what would this do to prevent this type of thing from happening? Nothing. Plus a ban against just AK 47s, which are very bad guns when compared to most other assault rifles, would do almost nothing to put a dent in the illegal weapons trade. Also AK-47s are not the most often used automatic gun. The MAC 10, which is a machine pistol and thus much easier for a criminal to handle, is the most widely used automatic weapon among criminals.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 08:05:21 PM »

Not every weapon needs a purpose. Some are just fun to go out in the backyard and fire off. A few weekends ago, one of my friends called and said his neighbor had gotten and AR-15. So, we went over and shot a couple rounds off. Pretty damn fun, but the kick was a bit much.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 10:48:06 PM »

Simple answer-NO.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 11:21:44 PM »

An amendment?  No.

We don't want to mess with the constitution for little things like this.

Laws, perhaps, depending on how the courts interperet the second amendment.

Regulations perhaps.

But not a constitutional amendment.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 11:22:15 PM »

F-ck NO!  What are you gonna do when the terrorists invade by land?  Shoot them with your Colt .45?  Sure it may take a few out, but they'll still attack.  Only way is to have weapons that can deliver heavy firepower.  BTW why would you ever support an amendment that blatantly disrespects a pervious amendment in the bill of rights?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 03:25:14 AM »

Not every weapon needs a purpose. Some are just fun to go out in the backyard and fire off. A few weekends ago, one of my friends called and said his neighbor had gotten and AR-15. So, we went over and shot a couple rounds off. Pretty damn fun, but the kick was a bit much.

Well, I'd like to hunt with you at some point, but I also have some urban concerns with assault weapons.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies