In your opinion, why do people hunt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:00:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  In your opinion, why do people hunt?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: In your opinion, why do people hunt?
For necessity

For fun

Abit of both

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: In your opinion, why do people hunt?  (Read 5199 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »

Same in the Northeast. Usually we are in Maryland for Thanksgiving weekend, but it's nice to have off anyway.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2005, 07:05:03 PM »

hey, there are other groups Wink

I don't personally care if I offend gun owners or religious people. They're the people who tend to think i'm evil for my sexuality, more then the general population; they're the ones more likely to be ignorant about the world around them; they're the ones who tend to be intolerant. Sure, i' being intolerant too, but I. Don't. Care. I'm sick of tiptoeing around it; I think gunowers, especially those who go and hunt innocent animals, have something seriously, seriously wrong upstairs. I'm not a fan of PETA or anything, but hunting IS barbaric, it IS morally just...ugh. It IS the sign of someone who wants power, and power is sought usually by people with low self confidence. Or small penises.

That's bullsh**t Hugh and you know it.

I won't tip toe around it anymore either: I think you're insane and you hold ridiculous positions and opinions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2005, 07:09:01 PM »

hey, there are other groups Wink

I don't personally care if I offend gun owners or religious people. They're the people who tend to think i'm evil for my sexuality, more then the general population; they're the ones more likely to be ignorant about the world around them; they're the ones who tend to be intolerant. Sure, i' being intolerant too, but I. Don't. Care. I'm sick of tiptoeing around it; I think gunowers, especially those who go and hunt innocent animals, have something seriously, seriously wrong upstairs. I'm not a fan of PETA or anything, but hunting IS barbaric, it IS morally just...ugh. It IS the sign of someone who wants power, and power is sought usually by people with low self confidence. Or small penises.

I don't hunt, but this is uncalled for.

They may be cute animals, but they are nonetheless still animals.  I don't support going out and doing it, and frankly find it a little gross, but to chock this up to low self-confidence or being poorly hung (hah!  Now there is a cheap shot that you should know better than, Hugh) is just cheap pop psychology crap.

The real reason people do it?  They enjoy it and maybe on some level it makes them feel like hunters, which at heart we are, biologically.  And if they have the heart to and aren't endangering populations, whatever.

Low self-confidence or small penis?  You're better than that.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2005, 07:46:13 PM »

Judging by the responses here I lack "perspective" on this issue, well of course I do, no one hunts in Connecticut, so its not like a personal failing on my part.

I'd like to mention that I am in no way a vegetarian, so maybe I'm being hypocritical in a way.

I have never fired a gun in my life and hopefully I never will. Those are MY values, and I wish I could get the same respect for them that the NRA wants shown towards hunters.

Just because someone doesn't like hunting doesn't make them any less of a man.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2005, 08:06:46 PM »

Asshole
L
C
O
N
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2005, 08:11:58 PM »

Jackass
A
K
E

Wink
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2005, 08:24:56 PM »

not true....you don't know your own state very well.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2005, 08:47:27 PM »

Idiotic
L
I
K
E
V
E
R
I
N

Gee, this is fun Grin
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2005, 10:07:56 PM »

because they lack self confidence and need to kill innocent animals for reasons beyond necessity.

Either that or they have small penises.

Acctually, I have been deer hunting many times and I enjoy it.  We go for fun, and to get venison, which is the best tasting meat around, in my opinion.

Also, there has been a drop in deer hunting here in PA in recent years which has led to bad genetics, stavation and eary death for the deer population.  It has also led to an increase in traffic accidents on the interstates.  Thus, hunting is acctually beneficial to the deer, as it is far to easy for them to over populate.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2005, 10:15:32 PM »

What I think is truely funny is those people who say that man shoudl be a vegitarian, because our ancestors were gatherers, not hunters.  What kind of science are they using?  The main reason man's brains got to be the size they are now is because of the consumption of animal protein from ever "fresher" kills.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2005, 10:28:01 PM »

Given the fact that there are at least some form of food market in every single town in America, I would say that hunters do it for fun.  It's not like they'll go hungry if they don't.

Um, many people I know hunt for the meat of the animal. Wild Hog is good as is Deer and alligator. They hunt because they enjoy it and they enjoy the benefits of the meat they procure.

That's not out of necessity.  If you want meat, you can go to the store and buy it pretty easily.  Hunting out of necessity would mean that you couldn't live without hunting.  You said it yourself: they hunt because they enjoy it.  Hunting for fun does not necessarily mean you don't do anything with the animal after you kill it.

I do not know of any store that you can buy deer, hog or other sorts of meat of that variety that were NOT taken by hunting.

Well, I suppose we need to define "necessity".  You don't need deer or hog meat in order to live, so in this manner, it's not a necessity.  It is true, though, that you can't get that stuff any other way, so hunting is a necessity for this specific purpose (getting that kind of meat).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2005, 11:08:34 PM »

because they lack self confidence and need to kill innocent animals for reasons beyond necessity.

Acctually, I have been deer hunting many times and I enjoy it.  We go for fun, and to get venison, which is the best tasting meat around, in my opinion.

Also, there has been a drop in deer hunting here in PA in recent years which has led to bad genetics, stavation and eary death for the deer population.  It has also led to an increase in traffic accidents on the interstates.  Thus, hunting is acctually beneficial to the deer, as it is far to easy for them to over populate.

I haven't had a chance to go Goose hunting in years, but hope to soon.

Have a 10 ga. Marlin bolt goose gun with a barrel that goes on and on and on.

Geese are really nasty animals but quite tasty.

There is an old english tradition of goose for Christmas dinner.

Don't remember seeing goose in the meat case at Safeway.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2005, 12:21:19 AM »

I haven't had a chance to go Goose hunting in years, but hope to soon.

Have a 10 ga. Marlin bolt goose gun with a barrel that goes on and on and on.

Geese are really nasty animals but quite tasty.

There is an old english tradition of goose for Christmas dinner.

Don't remember seeing goose in the meat case at Safeway.

I know my company usually stocks some limited stock of goose during the Christmas season.
WiseGuy

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2005, 01:11:10 PM »

Most meats in a grocery store are no older then a week and a half. I know this from experience.

I know.  I was exaggerating.  I probably should have made that a little more obvious.

His comments come from someone whose experience outdoors is probably restricted to Sierra Club nature hikes and who probably has never fired a gun in his life.

Jake, are you refering to me?  If so, For one, that has nothing to do with my post.  For two, I was supporting hunting, and finally I have never been on a "Sierra Club nature hike."  It's true I have never fired a gun (unless you count an unloaded one Tongue), but I plan to own one when I move out.  As I said in another topic, my mother is nervous about guns around my younger siblings, that's the reason we threw away the twelve gauge we used to have before I was born.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies