Bush has a fake photo op
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:41:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush has a fake photo op
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush has a fake photo op  (Read 2708 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2005, 08:52:15 PM »

Levee repairs were faked in a Bush photo op. Words fail me that the President would interfere with the actual relief effort to get himself a photo op.

http://landrieu.senate.gov/~landrieu/releases/05/2005903E12.html

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 09:08:47 PM »

broken link
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
09/03/2005

Landrieu Implores President to "Relieve Unmitigated Suffering;" End FEMA's "Abject Failures"

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu, D-La., issued the following statement this afternoon regarding her call yesterday for President Bush to appoint a cabinet-level official to oversee Hurricane Katrina relief and recovery efforts within 24 hours.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"Yesterday, I was hoping President Bush would come away from his tour of the regional devastation triggered by Hurricane Katrina with a new understanding for the magnitude of the suffering and for the abject failures of the current Federal Emergency Management Agency. 24 hours later, the President has yet to answer my call for a cabinet-level official to lead our efforts. Meanwhile, FEMA, now a shell of what it once was, continues to be overwhelmed by the task at hand.

"I understand that the U.S. Forest Service had water-tanker aircraft available to help douse the fires raging on our riverfront, but FEMA has yet to accept the aid. When Amtrak offered trains to evacuate significant numbers of victims -- far more efficiently than buses -- FEMA again dragged its feet. Offers of medicine, communications equipment and other desperately needed items continue to flow in, only to be ignored by the agency.

"But perhaps the greatest disappointment stands at the breached 17th Street levee. Touring this critical site yesterday with the President, I saw what I believed to be a real and significant effort to get a handle on a major cause of this catastrophe. Flying over this critical spot again this morning, less than 24 hours later, it became apparent that yesterday we witnessed a hastily prepared stage set for a Presidential photo opportunity; and the desperately needed resources we saw were this morning reduced to a single, lonely piece of equipment. The good and decent people of southeast Louisiana and the Gulf Coast -- black and white, rich and poor, young and old -- deserve far better from their national government.

"Mr. President, I'm imploring you once again to get a cabinet-level official stood up as soon as possible to get this entire operation moving forward regionwide with all the resources -- military and otherwise -- necessary to relieve the unmitigated suffering and economic damage that is unfolding."

Today's aerial tour of the 17th Street levee will be featured tomorrow on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos. Later, Sen. Landrieu will also appear on CBS's 60 Minutes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 09:10:06 PM »

No, it's there; it's just buried among other things that Landrieu is saying.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 09:10:49 PM »

He fixed it - it was broken.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 09:11:48 PM »

Why all the new Louisiana avatars?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 09:20:24 PM »

Well, they were attempting to fix it, prior to the visit.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-01-leveerepairs_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

The brake is 500 feet long, so it going to take some time.  Plus, nobody's ever tried this before.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 09:22:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Huh?  Hasn't Chertoff led the federal efforts from day one?

Sure, dump water on oil fires.  Smart.

Even if the planes could do something, the fires are a lower priority than rescue, evacuation and aid delivery--and there's only so much airspace.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 09:23:11 PM »

To show solidarity.  It's also I-LA for all of us to show this is not partisan solidarity.  Of course, jfern fittingly retained his red colour when switching avatars.  Everything in his world is partisan.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 10:06:24 PM »

There's more. The Bush visit also grounded all the helicopters. Clearly Lousiana would have been a lot better off if Bush hadn't gotten in the way of the relief operations to have his stupid photo op.

http://www.nola.com/weblogs/print.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/print076556.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2005, 10:08:55 PM by jfern »

To show solidarity.  It's also I-LA for all of us to show this is not partisan solidarity.  Of course, jfern fittingly retained his red colour when switching avatars.  Everything in his world is partisan.

I show solidarity for the little man, and people like Huey Long, who stand up for them. This requires me to attack people like Bush who ed up the hurricane response. Compare it to the Florida 2004 hurricane response.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/3/22934/38396

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 10:08:40 PM »

There's more. The Bush visit also grounded all the helicopters. Clearly Lousiana would have been a lot better off if Bush hadn't gotten in the way of the relief operations to have his stupid photo op.

http://www.nola.com/weblogs/print.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/print076556.html

So you complain when he doesnt go to Nawlins, and then you complain when he does?  Good job.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »

So you complain when he doesnt go to Nawlins, and then you complain when he does?  Good job.

I complain when he interfers with the relief efforts. What part of that is too complicated for you to understand?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 10:24:13 PM »

Just yesterday Democrats ripped Bush for only flying over NO instead of going on foot as he did in MS.  Today he went on foot in NO and they rip him for that.  He can't win.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 10:29:07 PM »

I complain when he interfers with the relief efforts. What part of that is too complicated for you to understand?

You'd complain no matter what he did, so why should anybody listen?

If you want people to listen to your criticisms, you have to offer something other than criticism occasionally.  This you fail miserably to do.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 10:32:03 PM »

I complain when he interferes with the relief efforts. What part of that is too complicated for you to understand?

JFRAUD, you moron, that is one of the reasons that presidents should not immediately run to a disaster scene.  They disrupt things.  I don't fault Clinton, for example, for showing up a few days after the Oklahoma City bombing, or Carter at TMI.  They go as a symbolic gesture to show solidarity with the victims.

You have shown, once again, your utter hypocrisy and total idiocy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 10:33:56 PM »

If you want people to listen to your criticisms, you have to offer something other than criticism occasionally.  This you fail miserably to do.

so in other words no one should listen to your idiotic ubllshi! t whining about feminists and liberals.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 10:34:33 PM »

Levee repairs were faked in a Bush photo op. Words fail me that the President would interfere with the actual relief effort to get himself a photo op.

http://landrieu.senate.gov/~landrieu/releases/05/2005903E12.html

The link isn't working for me.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 10:37:02 PM »

so in other words no one should listen to your idiotic ubllshi! t whining about feminists and liberals.

Apparently, retard, you haven't read everything I have written about them.  I have praised certain parts of the overall liberal and feminist agenda.  I am actually part of a minority on this board that supports the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts.  But I wouldn't expect a nitwit like you to have any depth in your understanding of the issues, or the nuances of other people's positions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 11:08:35 PM »

Wow, some no-bid Halliburton contracts. This government is not my government.  the scumbags.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/politics/04halliburton.html
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »

Wow, some no-bid Halliburton contracts. This government is not my government.  the scumbags.

Wow, according to the article. 

I had no idea Bill Clinton was involved with KBR.  He was president during most of that period.

As to this not being your government, the only thing I can say is THANK GOD.  We don't need a glacial wasteland where the USA use to be.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 11:21:13 PM »

Wow, according to the article. 

I had no idea Bill Clinton was involved with KBR.  He was president during most of that period.

As to this not being your government, the only thing I can say is THANK GOD.  We don't need a glacial wasteland where the USA use to be.

The Halliburton scandals happened under this adminstration.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 11:21:33 PM »

This doesn't match what Mayor Nagin or Senator Vitter said (both on New Orleans television).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 11:22:18 PM »

This doesn't match what Mayor Nagin or Senator Vitter said (both on New Orleans television).

Link?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 11:25:05 PM »

BTW, in case people would like to read more about this, there's more information here.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/3/201754/2484
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies